Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jz or 2jz

Old 05-12-07, 12:05 AM
yusych
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 1jz or 2jz

Hello, Awesome forum, i have been doing numerous hours of reasearch on the forum. I have a 1995 SC3 w/110k great condition i will post pics later for those who want to see. Anyway i have couple os questions and or advice that i need. I either want to do a 1JZ or a 2JZ conersion, every where i looked many different posts on what is exactly required to the conversions for them to work.

1. Which one requires more work 1jz or the 2jz because on ebay the prices for the swaps are about the same.
2. Is the auto tranny on the 2jz and 1jz same as in my stock lexus and will the 2jz or the 1jz tranny bolt on to my SC3
3. If i get the motor, tranny, ecu and the harness is that all i need for the swap, or is the front clip going to have all that i need for the swap.

Or i was just thinkin of going NA-T, but that is probobly more work?

Thanx For any input
Old 05-12-07, 08:32 AM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

I planned on going awfully big the first time around so I wouldn't underbuild my project so I went with a 2JZ. There is a decent amount of stuff you need to swap the 2JZ that I know of, like a TT Power Steering Pump, throttle/cruise control cable.
Old 05-12-07, 09:08 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by YumaSC300
...you need to swap the 2JZ that I know of, like a TT Power Steering Pump, throttle/cruise control cable.
Minor detail here... The NA and TT power steering pumps are identical. The TT uses a o-ring flanged tube at the same location that the NA power steering reservoir is attached. If you remove the NA reservior and buy the TT fitting, you're good to go.

-scott
Old 05-12-07, 04:51 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by yusych
Hello, Awesome forum, i have been doing numerous hours of reasearch on the forum. I have a 1995 SC3 w/110k great condition i will post pics later for those who want to see. Anyway i have couple os questions and or advice that i need. I either want to do a 1JZ or a 2JZ conersion, every where i looked many different posts on what is exactly required to the conversions for them to work.

1. Which one requires more work 1jz or the 2jz because on ebay the prices for the swaps are about the same.
2. Is the auto tranny on the 2jz and 1jz same as in my stock lexus and will the 2jz or the 1jz tranny bolt on to my SC3
3. If i get the motor, tranny, ecu and the harness is that all i need for the swap, or is the front clip going to have all that i need for the swap.

Or i was just thinkin of going NA-T, but that is probobly more work?

Thanx For any input
You got it wrong. NA/T is less work. Engine swap is a lot more work. You need to cut up your harness, replace tons of big and little parts on the new motor... etc etc. Some people make it sound simple but it's not.
Old 05-12-07, 07:51 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

na/turbo is easiest/cheapest...

1jz swap is half the price of the 2jz...
Old 05-13-07, 12:26 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy

You mean 1JZ clip is generally half of 2JZ clip. Other than that the price varies based on the way you swap things.
Old 05-13-07, 12:53 AM
yusych
Rookie

Originally Posted by mitsuguy

so basicly the work is the same but the price that you pay wheather u are doing the 1jz or the 2jz swap, so thats why folks out there do more 1jz because it is cheaper???
Old 05-13-07, 05:50 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

so basicly the work is the same but the price that you pay wheather u are doing the 1jz or the 2jz swap, so thats why folks out there do more 1jz because it is cheaper???

you can get a 1jz motor / trans / ecu / harness for less than $1000...

then you need intercooler, piping, exhaust, and a few other little odds and ends...

a 2jz is typically significantly more...
Old 05-13-07, 10:50 AM
yusych
Rookie

where can i get for that price, ebay???
Old 05-13-07, 11:52 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

where can i get for that price, ebay???

lots of places... search on here...
Old 05-13-07, 05:44 PM
yusych
Rookie

what do you think about ebay, and the other thing i was thinking of just going NA-T but not sure how much and how long the motor will handle a turbo
Old 05-14-07, 11:13 AM
Psionic
Lead Lap

Just call JHOT and put one on order. It will ship with everything you need.
Old 05-15-07, 01:47 PM
rx4sc
Rookie

With that 110K, just turbo it....swap is a pain in the ***...

Originally Posted by DIrEctQL
You got it wrong. NA/T is less work. Engine swap is a lot more work. You need to cut up your harness, replace tons of big and little parts on the new motor... etc etc. Some people make it sound simple but it's not.
Old 05-15-07, 02:17 PM
booja
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought about this alot too...

for me it would be in this order and the reasons...

1. full 2jzgte swap... 3.0 liter, capable of whatever you want. has good powerbang and makes more tq. my motor has alot of miles otherwise id turbo my stock motor

2. NA-T. still have the 3.0 liter for the power and tq, almost the same motor as TT except the head. cheapest route, can make just as much power as a 2j gte, only problem with me is that i have 150k miles

3. last would be a 1j. doesnt make as much power as a 2j and powerband is not as responsive, not as much tq, only 2.5 liter, most ive seen can hardly break 600whp on the same turbo where a 2j would make 600+... the good. if your motor is shot and need a good replacement, very cheap and easy swap to do.

depends on your goals i guess...

if you just want 500 and under a 1j wont be bad... i dont want it cuz most of the tuned graphs i see look like my honda graphs... i dont want that... ive been through high revving laggy boosted setups already. i want something different and fun and responsive
Old 05-15-07, 07:34 PM
yusych
Rookie

And the other thing the auto trany that comes with the 1jz is it different that the ones the comes with SC3