Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Who all has done this and is it a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-07, 05:02 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Who all has done this and is it a good idea?

I pulled this from another thread, it is in referance to a SC400 and making it shift harder. Let me know what you guys think.

"Another tranny mod is as simple as tightening the pressure actuator-- It connects to the tb just under the TRAC cover-- I tightened mine all the way save 1/4" -- so I moved the adj about 3/8" -- My tranny was WAAAYY too smooth after test driving 350z's and Maximas for a year--

The actuator just tells the tranny where the throttle is for load and gear selection-- this will increase your line pressure (shift kit anyone?) and hold gears a little bit longer-- "

"Increasing line pressure by tightening the actuator will only REDUCE trans heat-- It speeds gear changes and greatly reduces the smooth out flare-- greatly-- You have to remember that these Lex transmissions are programmed to slip the clutches in and out of gears during shifts to make them undectable-- This slippage GREATLY increases heat and wear-- Speeding up the shifts will do nothing but make your car faster, sportier, and make the trans last longer--"

"It is the detent cable if you will-- but it's an electronic trans-- so this speeds up shifts as it thinks you're in the pedal much more and in a hurry-- so it increases line pressure and holds gears longer electronically-- It adjusts these parameters by reading throttle position and load --

It doesn't shift as hard as a 350z now, but I still have a little adj. left I may try just to see how firm it will get-- I truly can't stand automatic transmissions-- they just don't know what you're going to do next-- so they never know when to drop 2 gears to brake if you want to slow down REALLY fast--

The cable is connected to the TB just under the TRAC cover on top of the manifold-- There are 3 cables- cruise (runs to the pass side fender well), throttle (runs into firewall), and trans cable ( runs down to the trans) --

You remove the cover with 3 10mm bolts, then have two 9/16" box wrenches (14mm??) to adjust the cable-- You can't miss it-- it's very obvious--"

Does anyone know the stock setting for this cable?
Old 04-25-07, 05:33 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your tranny will shift really hard when selecting gears .if you want to shift harder you can shim the tranny it cost like 20 bucks to do it(if you are down to drop the tranny pan) and you will feel alot more power
Old 04-25-07, 05:47 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sc250tt
your tranny will shift really hard when selecting gears .if you want to shift harder you can shim the tranny it cost like 20 bucks to do it(if you are down to drop the tranny pan) and you will feel alot more power
Where do you shim it and how thick is the shim?
Old 04-25-07, 05:50 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

there is a long thread on supra forums about this mod but the search is down i think its on soarer central too
Old 04-25-07, 05:54 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

this might help you out yours might be different since its a v8 http://jkwebdesign.net/lsocbb/viewtopic.php?t=1915
Old 04-25-07, 08:10 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

when the car shifts harder.. will it damage the transmition?

or whats the Pros and Cons about this mod?
Old 04-25-07, 08:34 PM
cooter2669
Driver School Candidate

if anyone tries this mod with a sucessful outcome let me know. i've heard about this in the past but it would be nice to have verification that it actually works.
Old 04-25-07, 11:11 PM
SimonR
Driver School Candidate

I did this one a couple of months ago. It certainly firms up the shifts but it loses a lot of the original smoothness between first and second particularly under load. Speeding up the shifts has lost the flatulence that used to occur between changes after I upgraded engine power.

The job wasn't too hard. The worst part was balancing everything (springs etc) on the valve body when re-installing it. It took about three hours as a first attempt.
Old 04-26-07, 05:58 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

i did it to my last 1j sc .it worked nice .i was even chirping on second too .i sold the car with the mod ,i still have to do it to my 97 sc4
Old 04-26-07, 06:16 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

I think we got off the subject, There are two possible mods listed here.

One is the super easy cable adjustment, the other is actually adding shims in the transmissions valve body. I have no doubt the valve body modification will work, my questions are around the cable. I also am still trying to get a anwser on what the stock setting for this cable is.
Old 04-26-07, 06:24 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

that was one of the first thing many tried .but many had a problem with the car not wanting to get out of first gear at full throttle .the cable controls the flow of the fluid .if you adjust it all the way you will hear the fluid flowing .but like i said before your gears will bang really hard while selecting and you will have issues getting out of first .for a reliable mod you can drop the pan and turn up the pressure in the valvebody
Old 04-26-07, 06:41 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cable detent has never been a common way to firm-up shifts, unless its different for this car, if it sounds to simple it probably is.
Old 04-26-07, 09:22 PM
SimonR
Driver School Candidate

I had tried the cable mod before the shim and valve body mod. It made the gear changes too harsh - particularly around town - and while it did make some difference to the speed of the changes it was nowhere near as effective.
Old 04-26-07, 10:58 PM
92ls400vip
Driver

the cable mod only works on around town driving basically because when you full throttle you cannot pull the cable more then it could already go when your at wide open throttle. i already tried this and its doesn't not make no difference at WOT but shifting it into the gears were very very harsh and does get annoying. i also did the shims to my tranny on my 92 ls400(a341e tranny) but to my surprise my valve body only had 2(set at max)different settings available and the sc's(a340e) have 3(set at medium, so you can turn it up 1 more) where you can turn it up to raise the pressure up across the whole tranny. will i can't really say that it made that much of an improvement on my car but it does shift faster thats for sure. but if i had that extra setting like the sc's does then i bet there is a big difference but my tranny is built for more for luxury then sport. also it depends on how big of a shim you put it the bigger the harder/faster it. hope this helps.... lol...
Old 06-02-07, 09:10 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

I said to heck with it and bought a 6-speed. Cant wait to shift gears.