Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

engine won't start or dies while driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-07, 12:36 PM
kellyb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy engine won't start or dies while driving

Help--two weeks ago today I purchased a used SC 400 from a private seller. I fell in love with it's good looks and relied on the test drive and the seller's raves about what a great car it is! The car has 112,000 miles and runs like a dream...until yesterday. I went to start it and got NOTHING.....I left it along a while and then an hour or so later tried to start it again and this time it started...but it didn't do the usual steering while adjustment it does when I normally start it. My husband decided it was a fluke. Today I got in the car, started it and although it again didn't do the steering adjusment, it started. I drove one block and stopped at a stop sign and the engine went dead...no warning, just died. Well it started again and I was able to drive it home. Any ideas out there? I am hoping we are talking simple battery connection issue but worry that it is something more serious...obviously, I no longer feel safe to drive the car until I find out what is wrong. I am hoping I wasn't lured in by a pretty face...only to find that I got a lemon

Thanks!
Old 04-17-07, 12:57 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, welcome to the club!

Next, the search function will yield mucho info.

Lastly, the issue you are having could be one of many things.
Loose battery connections
Bad plugs, wires, caps or rotors
Water in a spark plug valley(did you happen to power wash your engine bay?)
coil packs on the way out

Do you have any CELs ?
Old 04-17-07, 01:28 PM
kellyb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for responding. I have not power washed the engine bay but I have no doubt the previous owner did since the engine is spotless...I wouldn't think that would be a problem two weeks later though....

I confess, I know nothing about cars/engines....just love(d) the car! I will have to have it looked at...something is definitely wrong--I can only hope it is minor. Thanks again...hopefully once I have her running realiably, I can renew my love affair with this car.