Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Got my 5spd Swap today, thanks R&J Distributing

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-07, 08:27 PM
jacobzking
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my 5spd Swap today, thanks R&J Distributing

I ordered a 5 speed conversion kit from R&J Distributing last Thursday and it showed up today. Very clean and complete looking kit. Everything is in great shape and even looks like it's gonna have every nut and bolt that I'll need. Came with tranny (w58), clutch, flywheel, shifter, slave and master cylinder, hard lines, drive shaft, interior piece, pedals, brackets and that should cover it all. Should have the swap done tomorrow night or Friday, I'll add some pics once it's done. I'm SO excited (my first real mod I've got to do on a car in 5 years (since parting with my beast of a Silvia, then marrying and having a baby; yeah, I got yelled at for a long time about spending 3 months rent on making my car a 5 speed. But hey, resell value just increased big time and I'll save money on gas )
Attached Thumbnails Got my 5spd Swap today, thanks R&J Distributing-swap.jpg  
Old 04-13-07, 08:40 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

wow looks nice.

How much did it cost you and is this for the sc300 for 400?
Old 04-13-07, 09:13 PM
jacobzking
Lead Lap

Default write up

it was 1400 shipped and is a very complete kit. they do offer another package that also includes the rear end (4.07), the ECU and the gauge cluster (without the P R N D 2 1) but you don't have to use the ECU (it is better though because of the timing settings, but not a real big difference) and I prefer the 4.27 gear ratio in the rear end because the car doesn't have enough power for longer gears, needs more low end. As for the gauge cluster, I'll have to do without for now. oh, and this is for the sc300, pretty much a direct bolt on. only small modifications are: cutting the shifter about 3" further towards the back of the car, drilling the already marked holes for the master cylinder and jumping the neutral starter switch. should take 6ish hours.

my quick write up: remove old tranny, drive shaft, and on the inside of the car, remove center console, brake pedal only (not the bracket) and remove the steering wheel power tilt ecu; white box (under carpet on firewall). under tilt ECU you'll find the 2 holes for the master cylinder bolts, the other pass through hole (between the 2 bolt holes) you have to drill yourself. bolt up new brake pedal to existing bracket. bolt up clutch pedal and bracket assy, bolt up master and slave cylinders with hard lines, use the new 5spd drive shaft and bolt up flywheel, clutch and tranny. bleed clutch, jump the extra connector for the neutral safety switch (connector B2). put center console back together and voila
Old 04-13-07, 09:18 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

nice. i was watching spike TV.. auto to 6 speed manual tranny. basicly said what u said.. or u said what they said. yea.. haha.

i really want to put a 6 speed on my sc400... better MPG.. car is quicker and.. well its more fun to drive =]

good luck with your modding.
Old 04-13-07, 10:03 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my kit from R and J, and it was very complete, to the point where I had extra stuff. I didn't pay as much as you did, but maybe you got more than I did. I just got their essential kit, without the ecu and harness or rear end. The clutch they gave me was destroyed, however. It was burned beyond recognition, so I got a new clutch in the meantime.
Old 04-13-07, 10:14 PM
jacobzking
Lead Lap

Default no used clutch

I figured I may as well buy a clutch behind my wife's back while the tranny was out of the car so I got the Centerforce dual friction clutch that everyone here has reccomended. Didn't want to do all this work to put a used clutch in the car.
Old 04-14-07, 05:56 AM
SC_DRIFTER
Pole Position

I'm using the CF Dual Friction in my recently swapped auto/5 speed SC300 as well. I love it, great pedal feel and grips amazingly.

Two thumbs up on your clutch choice.
Old 04-14-07, 01:22 PM
Drocay
Pole Position

1400 is 3 months rent, hell i should move to were your at.
Old 04-14-07, 01:44 PM
vip_soarer
Driver School Candidate

hey do the sell complete 1jz swaps and do they have website or something
Old 04-15-07, 09:30 PM
jacobzking
Lead Lap

Default R&J Distributing rocks

48 hours after receiving my tranny swap package from R&J, here it is, all installed, runs great, my car really came alive. Between the 5 speed and the catalytic converter that had completely fallen apart and was blocking my entire exhaust (oops, I wondered why my car felt so sluggish), my car honestly feels about 40-60hp faster (that's no exageration, and yes, I know what the difference is between a baseline and an extra 40+ hp)
Attached Thumbnails Got my 5spd Swap today, thanks R&J Distributing-yummy.jpg  
Old 04-15-07, 09:32 PM
jacobzking
Lead Lap

here's my pedals, oh thank you R&J and big props to Hector in Lewisville, TX for getting it done in a day in a half. If any needs a good Lexus tech, Hector does and awesome job and is REALLY reasonable...
Attached Thumbnails Got my 5spd Swap today, thanks R&J Distributing-pedalsinstalled.jpg  
Old 04-15-07, 09:38 PM
jacobzking
Lead Lap

here's my sad cluster with the auto gear selector on it, lol
Attached Thumbnails Got my 5spd Swap today, thanks R&J Distributing-cluster.jpg  
Old 04-16-07, 04:54 AM
9teens
Banned SCAMMER

how much was the labor?
Old 04-16-07, 09:29 AM
Mortal300
Pole Position

haha lookin good just needa get those gages outta there! how much did it cost you?
Old 04-16-07, 09:30 AM
jacobzking
Lead Lap

lol, very cheap for me. he only charged me $350 for everything, but I gave him an extra $100 because $350 was too cheap. he really just wanted to do it to say that he did it. he only had the car for about a day and a half, looks stock, feels incredible. he'll probably charge about $500 from now on for labor. he also replaced my clockspring for me, so now my horn works, hurray! his name is Hector, he has alittle shop off 35 and Main in Lewisville. He does a lot of Silvia SR20 swaps, but he's ASCE Master Mechanic.

Quick Reply: Got my 5spd Swap today, thanks R&J Distributing