Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC3 --> USDM Supra TT Setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-07, 09:42 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default SC3 --> USDM Supra TT Setup

Hello all,

Has anyone done a true TT setup that parallels the USDM Supra TT setup?

Since the SC3 has the NA Supra motor, adding the TTs and 6speed or auto from the Supra be equal to that of the Supra's setup.

Has anyone done it as a true Supra swap/setup?

If so, how difficult was it to accomplish this? Cost?

And for those who have accomplished this, please post up some pics. Thanks.
Old 03-13-07, 11:43 AM
TRDRacer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please use the search function as there a tons of threads related to your question. Here is a quick overview of what it takes and recommendations to get your car turboed!!

If you just want to get your N/A to 320 HP like the supra I would spend that money and get a single turbo and get 500+ hp! The SC300 has a bottom end similar to that of the Supra and was tested to hold above 800+ hp!! SO you don't need to do any modification to hold 500 hp as in Japan the Engine was tuned to that spec for racing and later detuned for the civilian market!! Also note that the USDM 2jzgte engines are stronger then the JDM engines and put out more hp!! Although not necessary but highly recommended I would build the motor up with forged internals for your NA so you don't have to come back and take your engine apart later on! I would rebuild your engine and put in new Forged Pistons and Robs, Cams, Fuel Pump, Injectors, Hoses, Spark Plugs, New Seals, pullies, timing gears and a thinker head gasket to lower compression!!! With these mods to the engine you are set do the NA-t switch! Yea I know you probably asking why i need to much **** done well I always say that it's Better to have a fresh and well running engine to start of with that you know will hold the power with no prob!!

As for the cost to just get your car turboed it will run you about 10G or more with the mods I posted up top! Then you need to buy a turbo kit which vary in price and also depends on how much HP you going for!! If Just for street use and weekend fun, I would recommend the PT 67 Turbo, it has very fast spool up and give great amount of hp!!! And Was rated best turbo for the street racing enthusiast!

The 6speed Getrag will run you close to 4000 new but if you can find a used one from JDM then go for it as this tranny is very strong and very hard to break!

Instillation is hard, if you don't know your way around the car! I would recommend professional instillation of parts and then dyno tune your car so it runs right and doesn’t blow up on you!

Also you need to buy electronics like a turbo timer and various temp gauges to monitor your car so you will know something is right or not!

And you need to get a new manifold to hold the turbo and you need to make a custom 3 in minimum exhaust so your car can expel the gasses wich results in faster spool up of the trubo and thus gives you HP on demand!
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

^^^^ Pretty much what he said. Where in MD are you?
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

moved to proper forum
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks allot TRDRacer. You really put all of that into perspective for me. I know there's allot of this info. on here, and I have searched. The problem is, trying to find stuff that's not too modded and more USDM than JDM. Again, thanks.

Cherplex, i'm in G'burg.

neurocity, was that really necessary, dude? If my post bothered you that much, you didn't have to reply if it was not constructive enough to you.
Old 03-13-07, 12:03 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

what is your overall power goal? if, let's say under 350rwhp, may as well just do an na-t w/ stock everything. if under 600rwhp, then throw a headgasket on to that na-t and you're all set. anything above that, then do the gte swap. (btw, these numbers are off the top of my head and may be off a little).

if u truely want the gte swap, i don't think there's anything wrong w/ the jdm engine. to bring it up to US spec, i "think" all you need is US cams and twin turbo setup (since jdm turbos are ceramic). everything else, i believe is equal.

tranny on the other hand is totally seperate. i've calculated about $5k for everything needed for the 6 speed conversion (but this includes upgraded clutch).

hope this helps.
Old 03-14-07, 09:49 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RX469
neurocity, was that really necessary, dude?
Probably not....But its funny.

Sorry, I was just messing with ya.
Old 12-01-08, 05:11 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by craaaazzy
if u truely want the gte swap, i don't think there's anything wrong w/ the jdm engine. to bring it up to US spec, i "think" all you need is US cams and twin turbo setup (since jdm turbos are ceramic). everything else, i believe is equal.
Just to add on to the 2JZGTE USDM conversion you also need the US injectors (550cc vs. JDM 440cc) and appropriate ECU.

I'm contemplating a 2JZGTE conversion right now and it seems like there has been a slight drop in 2JZGTE prices. I'm not going NA-T because i need a powerful yet proven reliable engine for all 4 seasons of the year. I also need to contemplate a plan so i can get through NJ emissions (mine is OBDII). NA-T is a great route for power, but i need something a little more practical for daily driving, thus the 2JZGTE route. NA-T is still a good option if your looking for all out power.
Old 12-01-08, 05:38 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neurocity
LMFAO!!!!^^^^^ I think I may do that for any question regarding a TT or R154 swap from now on. Brilliant!!

No but seriuosly you're mega new and ima let you in a little secret that most people don't know, the NA-T is actually a better setup in the long run. The NA block is actually stronger and the exhaust side of the head flows more than the TT (intake flows more on the TT). Granted you will have to spend some money to build it to compare to the GTE, however after looking at how much involves doing the swap, I would NA-T over a swap anyday. Ask the majority of 1000+ 2jz owners, they're all NA blocks. To take it even a step further, I would take an NA VVTI over any jz motor known to date. People think that the VVTI is just a hinderance becuase the head is weaker. But in all actuality if you learn to utilize that VVTI technology it's well worth the money for the low end. People with ISs are making boost below 2000 RPMs with 60 trims. Is your head spinning? GOOD. Now sit back for the next few months and read like the rest of us have done for the past few years and don't ask for everything on a spoon. (Oh and when I say read, NOT HERE!!!! go to Supraforums, Supra411, my.IS, NA-T, anywhere really.. This place will literally make you dumber performance wise)

Edit* nuerocity..... did that used to be your name on SF....Are you the one that did that writeup on the R154 swap in your MKIV?
Old 12-02-08, 04:32 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

na-t not being daily driveable.. hmmmm thats a good one for i am right around 500 rwhp and car drives better then stock and hits hard in boost

the biggest hinderence with na-t is engine computer .. if you are looking for 400 ish and under then lex afm ls400 meter or vpc and safc works wonders , when you are going above that timing becomes a major problem for na ecu knows nothing of boost to begin with so timing goes all over the place

easy remedy is aem or haltech standalone , i am aem tuned and day to day driving is better then stock , i get mpg then stock with zero boost issues

if i had to do over again either route would suffice but probably would have gone gte route for a cleaner look but then again i do all my own work so to pay someone for the swap , wiring then single turbo kit can be cost prohibitive to most as opposed to slapping on a turbo kit and going standalone
Old 12-02-08, 06:11 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexforlife
na-t not being daily driveable.. hmmmm thats a good one for i am right around 500 rwhp and car drives better then stock and hits hard in boost
I didn't say that NA-T can't be a good daily driver, i'm saying that it's somewhat impractical, especially for those who have to drive through 20 degree weather and snow on the ground, something you don't see too often in florida Also emission states make it difficult to have a LEGAL daily driver another thing that Floridians don't need to worry about.
Old 12-02-08, 06:41 AM
clevercat
Lead Lap

2JZGTE w/ stock TT + 6 Speed swap should look like this..
Has 94 Supra TT subframe etc.
Be ready to spend $$$ if you want to do it right @ first time.
Don't forget the supporting mods, suspensions and brakes.

Old 12-02-08, 08:39 AM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

now that is fabulous
Old 12-02-08, 08:57 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clevercat
]
Did you put a T valve in palce of your HVAC? Haha!

Quick Reply: SC3 --> USDM Supra TT Setup