Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Possible Plug and Play SC400/SC300 ECUs

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-01, 05:43 PM
Black94RX-7TT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Plug and Play SC400/SC300 ECUs

Okay. I am talking to the ECU developer at AEM about standalone ECU solutions for the SC300/400. Can anybody tell me if the plugs for the SC300/400 match those of the Supra? If so then he can build a plug and play unit for the SC300 & 400 easily.
Old 11-18-01, 11:17 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wan gonna call AEM on Monday and ask the same thing...I saw an ad that they are plug-n-play for hondas and a few others, and I was wondering if they're the same as Supras. I'm gonna check the ecu diagrams from APEX'i that were for my s-afc, and I'll tell ya.

Update....I just checked, and yes, the plugs are the same. You use the same diagram to hook to the S-AFC on both cars....so it's the same ECU, minus some mods that were Supra specific.

How much are those AEM boxes anyway?

SR
Old 11-18-01, 03:55 PM
matt7184
Pole Position

The Greddy E-Manage may be an alternative to the new Weapon R piggy back. It is only about $300 plus harness and software too, but its pretty new and I dont know anyone with it.
Old 11-18-01, 03:56 PM
matt7184
Pole Position

Originally posted by CmputerWiz
I wan gonna call AEM on Monday and ask the same thing...I saw an ad that they are plug-n-play for hondas and a few others, and I was wondering if they're the same as Supras. I'm gonna check the ecu diagrams from APEX'i that were for my s-afc, and I'll tell ya.

Update....I just checked, and yes, the plugs are the same. You use the same diagram to hook to the S-AFC on both cars....so it's the same ECU, minus some mods that were Supra specific.

How much are those AEM boxes anyway?

SR
You're talking about the SC3 and Supra ECUs are the same and not the SC4s right?
Old 11-18-01, 04:32 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Well both the SC3's and SC4's use the same type of ECU, just with different software. They have the same wiring diagram and plugs...

SR
Old 11-18-01, 06:40 PM
Black94RX-7TT
Pole Position

Excellent. I hope the SC400 ECUs are the same too. Does anybody know if it stayed the same all the way through production (98-00), or just the earlier years.
Old 11-18-01, 06:42 PM
Black94RX-7TT
Pole Position

Default Pricing

Oh yeah.....they're gonna be around $2000 for whats currently being produced. I don't know if the Lexus stuff will be more (if it even happens) because of limited market, or what.
Old 11-18-01, 06:51 PM
matt7184
Pole Position

I thought the AEM piggybacks were going to be sub-$1000? For that price you can get a real standalone system.
Old 11-19-01, 05:06 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by matt7184
I thought the AEM piggybacks were going to be sub-$1000? For that price you can get a real standalone system.
Well they are standalone....you PULL OUT your factory ECU, and plug the factory wiring harness into this unit...

SR
Old 11-19-01, 08:26 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah $2000 is a ripoff, you could buy a Haltech for that and have it installed and still have cash leftover

btw: SupraTTs and SC3s may have the same plugs but I'm 99% sure from lots of articles and statements by expert MKIV owners that the wiring diagrams are a lot different...

the non-turbo Supra and SC3 are supposed to be the same... not sure which you are referring to
Old 11-19-01, 10:04 AM
Black94RX-7TT
Pole Position

Originally posted by Bean
yeah $2000 is a ripoff, you could buy a Haltech for that and have it installed and still have cash leftover
I'd much rather have all the ECU functions work as they did with the factory unit, and not have to worry about getting a custom harness re-built if it got damaged. Don't forget having to change out all the sensors.....
Old 11-19-01, 12:05 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Ya...the non-turbo Supras have the same wiring layout as the SC's.

The "majority" of wires between the Supra TT and the SC are the same. I.E. rpm sensor wires, tps, o2 sensors, power, AFM, etc. I doubt they would use different wires for other things, as that would confuse the production of the cars. Just my thought. I do know that for SC300/400, GS300 old bodystyle, MKIV Supra NA and Supra TT all use the exact same wiring diagram, same color wires, etc, to hook up a S-AFC. The Supra TT does use a different type of airflow signal. SC's have the Karmann Vortex AFM and Supra TT uses some sorta pressure signal thingy.

On that note, I'm thinking of switching over TO a MAF type sensor, since that allows for a TON more airflow than the stock AFM that the SC has. I can do that for only a few hundred bucks, and realize some gains of a standalone for cheap.

SR
Old 11-19-01, 02:10 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well thats not what the guy over in Hawaii selling the manual for the 2jz-ge to 2jz-gte engine swap said... he said the wiring is quite different...

but if he's wrong and AEM or whoever can develop a plug and play programmable ECU upgrade like the Apexi' Power-FC for $1500 or under, then I'm all over that like flies on ****

I need a simple but not too expensive ECU upgrade when I go turbo... conversions to Speed Density would be nice too; or at least compatibility with the SupraTT MAF... NA-Ts are choking from that pos AFM
Old 11-19-01, 02:27 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Bean
well thats not what the guy over in Hawaii selling the manual for the 2jz-ge to 2jz-gte engine swap said... he said the wiring is quite different...

but if he's wrong and AEM or whoever can develop a plug and play programmable ECU upgrade like the Apexi' Power-FC for $1500 or under, then I'm all over that like flies on ****

I need a simple but not too expensive ECU upgrade when I go turbo... conversions to Speed Density would be nice too; or at least compatibility with the SupraTT MAF... NA-Ts are choking from that pos AFM
Scott (SC300T) showed me this site... http://www.splitsec.com./ and they've got all kinds of cool stuff! Covert to MAF...timing controllers...etc.

As for the wiring...well you wire a S-AFC to a Supra TT using the exact same wires as on the SC and the Supra NA. I can't vouch for any wires OTHER than the ones used by the S-AFC....but those are the same...

SR
Old 11-19-01, 02:37 PM
matt7184
Pole Position

I didnt know the AEM ECU was a stand alone, but you are right, I checked and it is.........

Could a larger Mustang MAF be adapted and recalibrated for use in the SC?

Quick Reply: Possible Plug and Play SC400/SC300 ECUs