Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

'93 SC4 CRANKS, but engine would not turn over, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-07, 10:28 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default '93 SC4 CRANKS, but engine would not turn over, HELP!

UPDATE AT THE BOTTOM

Hey guys, my bro called me today and told me he stopped into a 7-11 to get something to drink with his friends, and when he went back into the car 5-10 mins later, it would not start. It cranks, but it wouldn’t start. I've searched and have found that in many instances, the original poster says it was solved, but without mentioning how.

I checked engine fuses, and everything is fine... he's been driving it just fine the past few days. The only significant piece of info is that the car was sitting in a body shop last week, and was not started for about 40days or so. The guys at the shop called and said they couldn’t start it, and had to push it around the body shop (same issue) however, when I got there, (I thought it was the alarm engaging itself) I started it, and it cranked just fine. So I assumed it was the alarm... and now it’s happening again.

Seems like an electrical issue... I can smell fuel... so im guessing its making its way into the engine just fine.

cliff notes: Battery, and starter are just fine... they crank well, but the engine is not turning over.

The car is now at the 7-11’s parking lot… not the best of neighborhoods, either. Any help is appriciated.

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 03-02-07 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-20-07, 12:10 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

disconnect the alarm brain, and see what happens, i am assuming the car has an aftermarket alarm?
Old 02-20-07, 12:41 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Car has stock Alarm. I tried disconnecting the battery several times, and still nothing.
Old 02-20-07, 08:09 AM
cal9126
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you try to jump the car.....
Old 02-20-07, 12:11 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Yes. Battery and starter are fine... but I tried never the less.
Old 02-20-07, 12:18 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

check all the distirbutor, ignitor and coil connections
Old 02-20-07, 12:32 PM
maikeru
Driver School Candidate

Check the fuel pump ecu, when the engine is cold it can start just fine, but if you have been driving for awhile and then stop, thats when it has trouble starting again. Common problem, just need to get a new fuel pump ecu. Hope that helps.
Old 02-20-07, 11:03 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by aliga
check all the distirbutor, ignitor and coil connections
Already did... they all seem fine. Connections at least. Any particular plug to look out for?

Originally Posted by maikeru
Check the fuel pump ecu, when the engine is cold it can start just fine, but if you have been driving for awhile and then stop, thats when it has trouble starting again. Common problem, just need to get a new fuel pump ecu. Hope that helps.
How can I check the fuel pump ECU?

Today, i went there again, and the car has been sitting overnight, tried again, and it wont start. Then I disconnected the battery for a few hours, came back, and it still wouldn't turn over.

I really need this thing to turn over, any other suggestions guys?
Old 02-21-07, 02:29 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

No one had this problem before???
Old 02-21-07, 02:34 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-Was the engine bay recently washed? May have got water in it.

-Bad fuel pump?

-Starter is bad..

-Alternator problem

-Thermostat is bad.

I'd check them in that order
Old 02-21-07, 03:25 PM
onyxaltezz
Driver

Pull your plugs after trying to crank the car, and see if you're plugs are wet. IF wet, you're getting fuel so thats good.

Check if you're actually getting SPARK. Have someone crank your car with one plug wire disconnected from the plug. If the end of the plug wire is sparking then you're getting spark. Fuel spark & air are the main things you need for a car to turn over. Next check for vacuum leaks. I mean huge ones, like if you're intake somehow got disconnected or there is a huge rip in it.

-Aaron
Old 02-21-07, 03:49 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by IronCobra
-Was the engine bay recently washed? May have got water in it.

-Bad fuel pump?

-Starter is bad..

-Alternator problem

-Thermostat is bad.

I'd check them in that order
I'm sure all are fine, except for the fuel pump... thats what I'm concerned about. (this is happened in the past, so i might be some connection somewhere, since its intermittent)

Originally Posted by onyxaltezz
Pull your plugs after trying to crank the car, and see if you're plugs are wet. IF wet, you're getting fuel so thats good.

Check if you're actually getting SPARK. Have someone crank your car with one plug wire disconnected from the plug. If the end of the plug wire is sparking then you're getting spark. Fuel spark & air are the main things you need for a car to turn over. Next check for vacuum leaks. I mean huge ones, like if you're intake somehow got disconnected or there is a huge rip in it.

-Aaron

Thanks for the info, makes sense, I will try that today, and report back.
Old 02-22-07, 09:38 AM
onyxaltezz
Driver

Oh and to checl your fuel pump, simply remove the banjo bolt for the fuel line that leads to the injectors, crank your car and see if gas spews out. That will determine you fuel pump's functionality and that youre fuel pressure buddy. Good luck dood.

-Aaron
Old 02-22-07, 11:36 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

OK, last night, i spent over an hour checking the car. All seemed fine, except for no fuel coming in. So after the battery had weakened from all the cranking, I threw the jumper cables on, and RIGHT when i plugged them in (the battery wasn't completely discharged at that point) I could hear the fuel going into the engine... WHAT GIVES?

Also, when I was switching the key to the ON position before it started, the fuel pump wasn't making any sounds. Seems like a fuel pump issue... so where is this fuel pump ECU?

Anyhow, the car started, and I drove it home, and right when I Parked it, turned it off, it wouldn't start again...
Old 02-22-07, 12:09 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

fuel pump ecu is located behind the driver rear seat armrest.

they go bad all the time.

Quick Reply: '93 SC4 CRANKS, but engine would not turn over, HELP!