Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Na-T question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-07, 10:00 PM
bmorelex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Na-T question

Hello everyone, Im bout to by a sc3 and I will eventually swap it wit either a 1 or 2jz depending on the cost... and I was thinking about buying a na turbo kit and boostn the stock motor and buying a few mods like injectors and whatnot... and just running it til it goes. The car already has a upgraded cluch,exhaust,and suspenion. Can I use the turbo kit to upgrade the setup on the stock swap motor?
Old 02-14-07, 10:14 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, but you won't be able to exceed more then 10 psi on a good tune. Right now your compression ratio is at 11:1 which is unacceptable in terms of boost.

So if you're content with mid 300rwhp, you can turbo your 2JZ-GE with a good tune and be happy with that. If you want to have more, then get either of the following:

1. 1JZ + APU mods (~380rwhp)
2. 2JZ-GTE + BPU mods (~440rwhp)
3. Headgasket for your motor (TT or thicker)
Old 02-15-07, 05:09 AM
Supra-Marc
Driver School Candidate

a headgasket is relatively cheap and is the way to go here...im running a 2.0mm headgasket on my 2jzge supra with a t61 setup and its perfect. sorry i cant throw some numbers up here but im waiting on a new tranny since mine was messing up. id stick with the 2jz, you'll like it...
Old 02-15-07, 09:48 AM
BLovesc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id just buy a ijz or 2jz you will save money. stock turbo motor will always be better than a NA-t plus the turbo kit cost like 2 grand
Old 02-15-07, 09:54 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all depends on your goals man. If 300-350rwhp is enough to satisfy, then NA-T is almost certainly the most cost effective way. If you want more juice, get a Supra turbo engine.
Old 02-15-07, 12:05 PM
Supra-Marc
Driver School Candidate

2jzge engines can easily dish out just as much power as a GTE...im running a T61, a small turbo at ~400+whp easily...look at Dave H...9 second NA-T with all stock internals...its all up to you...basically the 2jz format will give you more power and a better platform than the 1jz...the 2jzge will take just as much cash as a GTE swap when all said and done, but if your looking to go over BPU mods on the stock GTE then you'll end up paying more...so really whatever your power goals are...

1. stay GE and single with a thicker headgasket (good till around 730hp till need internals)
2. go GTE and BPU it into the 400's

for me it was a no brainer with my power goals high for my supra (600-700rwhp range) NA-T will easily get there, Had i done the GTE swap then i would still have to dish out money for a single conversion to meet my goals on top of the swap...not cost effective
Old 02-15-07, 12:52 PM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

i dynoed 378 with a basic na-t and just a tt head gasket and 10 psi of boost im pretty sure i can bump to like 15psi but would like to be semi conservative just look at it this way where i live i can find a 2jz N/A for around $300 for a long block so its a small price to pay if i blow mine up. but i wouldn't worry too much about the motor beef up your drive train anyone with big power knows that. id like to see your stock w58 hold 600+hp reliably

Last edited by Sc dRifta; 02-15-07 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-15-07, 02:47 PM
ScrillaSc
Driver School Candidate

I think you guys mis-interperated the question. Since I had the same question I'll try to clarify. He is asking if the turbo kit for the GE will bolt on and be a good upgrade for his future GTE. Am I right bmorelex?
Old 02-15-07, 03:01 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

another engine question moved to the engine forum.
Old 02-15-07, 05:56 PM
Supra-Marc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ScrillaSc
I think you guys mis-interperated the question. Since I had the same question I'll try to clarify. He is asking if the turbo kit for the GE will bolt on and be a good upgrade for his future GTE. Am I right bmorelex?
if this is the case then dont bother NA-T...just swap to the 2jzgte first since its the same (or less if you do it yourself) cost as NA-T
Old 02-18-07, 11:53 PM
bmorelex
Driver School Candidate

yea my question was will a bolt-on turbo kit fit on a swapped motor? i'm guessin thats a yes, i'm buying a 2jzgte either way but i'm going to need to upgrade the piping, intercooler, turbo and whatnot right, so i'll just put the parts i'll all ready have on the stock motor onto the swaped one...
Old 02-19-07, 07:14 AM
MDeezy
Rookie

NA-T can be/are just as good strong as the 1jz/2jz. With a proper head gasket, and other suitable mods to the engine, it will hold the power as well, and perform just as well. NA-t is a cheaper route, and as already mentioned, blocks arent that expensive, so if you blow one up, a new block could be installed on, it no time.

it really just boils down to a persons personal preference, forward facing intake? Map vs Maf sensor? coil packs vs coil plugs?
Originally Posted by bmorelex
yea my question was will a bolt-on turbo kit fit on a swapped motor? i'm guessin thats a yes, i'm buying a 2jzgte either way but i'm going to need to upgrade the piping, intercooler, turbo and whatnot right, so i'll just put the parts i'll all ready have on the stock motor onto the swaped one...
clearing the distributor is the main conflict for some. check club na-t, there are manifolds for sale there that will fit and clear the distributor, but it will also depend on the turbo size also.