Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Goal atleast 450rwhp, on 1uz = how?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-07, 05:43 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Goal atleast 450rwhp, on 1uz = how?

Im starting with a supercharger at 6psi, ofcourse ill have some sort of intake,exhaust,headers, apexi AFC. What else can i do within a reasonable budget to meet my goal. Im obviosly droping alot on the charger, i dont know if i can meet the goal at 6psi might have to go with 10psi and get a stand alone. What do you think?
Old 02-14-07, 06:03 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Standalone will leave you with a few things to sort with your present automatic trans. It seems on planetsoarer there is an article, under TC's and Shift kits, that talks about how a fellow in AU was able to program a gameboy to control the tranny itself, which also does away with the timing retard during shifts-- as well as the smooth gradual shifts. This is the same guy that makes shift kits and he markets both setups to the public. There is also a possibility of controlling the trans shifts with buttons on an alternate steering wheel--- I don't know which one but I think there are a few steering wheels with push-buttons for "paddle" style shifting-- Maybe an IS-- not sure.......

Either one of those methods, which would take a bit of research either way, would allow the use of a standalone.

A manual swap will also allow you to use a standalone as well.
Old 02-14-07, 06:11 PM
twizted
Instructor

Well as far as that goes i could throw in a th350 or 400 trans as well. I think ide like to try to keep the stock tranny and if it blows and can always build one up. Dr evil has built me some auto transmissions before... Ide like to go whatever route i can without having to go with the stand alone really...
Old 02-14-07, 06:20 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

You are going to have to go inside for 450 at the wheels. This may make 450rwhp impossible for a "reasonable budget".

There is a guy out there practically blowing the top off of his 1UZ and tranny with a 150 shot of laughing gas along side headers, intake, exhaust, torque converter, piggyback management, etc to a tune of ~300rwhp.

A supercharger with an upgrade pulley alongside a laundry list of other upgrades could get you near 400rwhp, but you are pushing the threshold of the engine/tranny. For that money, you could swap a Supra engine and have at least 450rwhp.

If you really want 450rwhp on the 1UZ, search for the twin turbo guys out there. There are few. Rebuild the engine. Get custom manifolds fabricated. Drop a pair of turbos and about $20k start to finish. Torch the road at 450++ to the wheels with one of the coolest SC400's around.
Old 02-14-07, 06:37 PM
twizted
Instructor

I like to be unconventional. 1uz all the way for me no 2jz thats to easy. Well i can have a charger built for upto 850hp buy bullet but i would need the stand alone. Dr evil can build me a tranny 800+hp. I could even get a th350 i just found a company in one of my hot rod magazines that makes wireless paddle shifters for them but its $1400. I can get 1uz's and trannys for cheap so i might blow a couple to find there stock threshold. I mean the blocks do have forged main shaft, 6 bolt main caps and a line of things that should hold mondo HP stock... The 6psi charger kit is going to be $4000 a 10psi high boost kit which is actually a different compression housing and all for $6000. Its already looking liek i can do somthing interesting for under $10,000.
Old 02-14-07, 07:15 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twizted
I like to be unconventional...Its already looking liek i can do somthing interesting for under $10,000.
Agreed.

450rwhp means ~550 at the crank with an automatic. Not only are you blowing the automatic, but you are blowing the engine.

If you really want that power, get a custom 1UZ bell housing made on an R154. That truck tranny is a freaking giant and will hold your power easily. It will also increase your 1st gear from 2.80 to 3.25 giving you better acceleration. In addition, the M/T gives you less drivetrain loss and more power to the ground. An R154 on a 1UZ is VERY unconventional.

As for the path to 450rwhp on the 1UZ, I would search other forums as well. There are many folks out there swapping the 1UZ into an assortment of cars solely for performance reasons. Those guys are 1UZ horsepower freaks and might have a few tricks up their sleeves that we CL guys don't have.

GL man. With $10k, you can have one unique performance machine with a 1UZ powering it all.

EDIT:
Definitely talk to Neil Griffiths at Rush Imports in Australia. They are the self-proclaimed Supercharged Soarer experts http://rushimports.com.au/

Interstingly, the Z in 1UZ-FE means that the engine was originally designed with the intent of supercharging. The U is for low emissions, the F is for the fuel economy of the DOHC (quad cam in the V8 case), and the E is for electronic fuel injection.

Last edited by Blizzy; 02-14-07 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-14-07, 07:46 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 1JZ can handle 450 rwhp on stock internals, I've seen it done. The trick is in the transmission and tune. You will definitely need a single turbo, many supporting mods, and a good fuel management system. It won't be cheap, I can tell you that.
Old 02-14-07, 07:52 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

You shouldnt need a standalone just to do 450, there are several of us out there that have been doing okay with a piggy back at those levels.

Are you talking roots type SC or centrifugual? If centrifugul my experience says you will have to be over 12 psi to get to 450rwhp.

And if you are trying with a RMM SC forget about it, that wont get you where you want to go
Old 02-14-07, 07:52 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
The 1JZ can handle 450 rwhp on stock internals, I've seen it done.
Definitely at the limits, but being twizted, I say go for it.

You will definitely need a single turbo...It won't be cheap
This is unfathomable to me...the manifold, the piping, the hood clearance.

$10k would have to be out the window in a hurry.
Old 02-14-07, 10:07 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blizzy
This is unfathomable to me...the manifold, the piping, the hood clearance.

$10k would have to be out the window in a hurry.
The stock 1jz twin turbos will not go 450rwhp, as the turbos will do nothing but blow hot air. To reach those powers, a single turbo is the only route to go (although I wouldn't count out some type of a supercharger). It also won't run $10k, with some product searching, it can be done with $3000 easily.
Old 02-15-07, 07:22 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

It also won't run $10k, with some product searching, it can be done with $3000 easily.
You're telling me you can single turbo a 1UZ for $3k??

You would have to lower compression, get an atrociously extreme manifold, get a turbo, and redo the entire intake and exhaust systems. Please inform me ofhow this can be done for $3k. I am ALL EARS.
Old 02-15-07, 11:37 AM
rcracer_tx
Driver

Actually, it can be done for $1600 if you can do it yourself.

http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7031
Old 02-15-07, 12:22 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rcracer_tx
Actually, it can be done for $1600 if you can do it yourself.

http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7031
that looks ghetto as hell, but quite effective all the same. jesus.
Old 02-15-07, 02:42 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

The 1JZ can handle 450 rwhp on stock internals, I've seen it done. The trick is in the transmission and tune. You will definitely need a single turbo, many supporting mods, and a good fuel management system. It won't be cheap, I can tell you that.
He's looking to do this with a 1UZ not JZ.
Old 02-16-07, 06:14 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by twizted
I like to be unconventional. 1uz all the way for me no 2jz thats to easy. Well i can have a charger built for upto 850hp buy bullet but i would need the stand alone. Dr evil can build me a tranny 800+hp. I could even get a th350 i just found a company in one of my hot rod magazines that makes wireless paddle shifters for them but its $1400. I can get 1uz's and trannys for cheap so i might blow a couple to find there stock threshold. I mean the blocks do have forged main shaft, 6 bolt main caps and a line of things that should hold mondo HP stock... The 6psi charger kit is going to be $4000 a 10psi high boost kit which is actually a different compression housing and all for $6000. Its already looking liek i can do somthing interesting for under $10,000.
The issue you will have with the engine is that it is at least 10 years old, and you should at least replace all the gaskets and seals, use MLS gaskets where possible, and definitely change the head gaskets, plus, do a leak down for compression, you more than likely will have "tired" rings...You're right, the crank is forged, the rods in the early 1UZ's are rather stout, and the pistons should hold up. Also, be sure to use ARP Head studs in place of the factory ones. Based upon my experience with my TT project, go all the way, then you will not be plagued with "used and tired " parts breaking on you...

Ryan

Quick Reply: Goal atleast 450rwhp, on 1uz = how?