Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2JZ-GE to 2JZ-GTE (Hehehehe) Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-01, 05:12 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2JZ-GE to 2JZ-GTE (Hehehehe) Engine Swap

This is my first post on CL in Nov. 2001!

Alright, I've got the SC 400... it's nice, but I have a few bones to pick.

1. Automatic Transmission that loses 95 HP just getting to the rear wheels.

2. Aftermarket Proformance too expensive and not intense enough... (11 Second 1/4 miles just don't happen) Superchargers? $6k from Toyomoto. Twin Turbos? Only seen it once, and it boost levels were less than stellar.

So I started looking a the SC 300. Same block as the Toyota Supra, with a little more class. Well. Twin Turbos cost about 5500 Just to put on the car, so forget the aftermarket twins. I've decided that I'm going to buy and SC300 and...
1. change out trans. supra 6 speed (Need to add clutch pedal -- if AT)
2. 2JZ-GTE Swap, Intercooeler, Radiator
3. Supra Brakes
5. Targa Roof ??
6. Body Kit (Veilside, or Boomex Supra Custom Ap?)
7. Bergundy Paint
8. Troy Lee Knight Down side of car (Fast and the Furious?)
9. Redo the Interior.

I'm also considering having a metal shop custom modify the hood to have the viper triangular intake, with two outlets further up the hood to cool this baby down. Check out http://www.fly-hawaii.com/lexustt/ some guy put together a manual on how to do it, and all the nessisary wiring diagrams. So whada think?

Last edited by SupraCoup3; 03-20-05 at 03:06 AM.
Old 11-14-01, 08:01 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm misunderstanding here... The 2jz-GTE swap costs about $10k after labor. $2k more for the tranny I believe. If you do it yourself its still over $5k total

The turbokits for the SC300 block cost about $5500, and $4000 if you get the basic kits with no extras like additional injectors, etc and the car will be much faster than a simple BPU'd 2jz-gte

No point in swapping the radiator I'm told since the 2jz-ge one is great

You're also going to need:
clutch, flywheel, ECU/wiring harness, differential, custom lengthened driveshaft, etc

Targa mod will require some damned expensive bodywork...

bodykits with paint touch around $4000 for just a decent job

What you're talking about is over $25k in mods, probably over $30k with all the labor

What I would do is sell your SC400 and buy a SC300 manual if you can find one... it will save you ****loads of trouble; and the SC400 commands a higher sale value than a SC300; so you'd have some extra cash leftover for a turbokit or bodykit, etc

its a lot easier to start from the SC300 manual than a SC400... the SC300's block can withstand A LOT of power

Just ask the turbo guys on this board (i plan to be one soon )
Old 11-14-01, 03:11 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

What I've found so far is a package deal. A Supra Twin Turbo engine 2JZ-GTE (Complete with ECU, 6sp Tranny, Wiring harness) all for $5,000. It's off a low miles car (less than 35k). That price is also negotiable.

I've also found a salvage titled 1995 SC300 with 5,000 Miles on it (not running)... Basically what I'm going to do it turn a rolling shell into a flying shell. Just need a car with no frame damage.

The Advantage of using a supra TT engine over a aftermarket turbo SC300 Engine is that I'm on very good terms with the owner of a Toyota dealership about 1 mile away. I live in MA, and there are very few places around that would care to even touch a Lexus. (Well besides the dealership, but they don't wanna put on a turbo would they ?)

Besides service being cheaper from the owner of a Toyota Dealership, it's much easier to get go... stock 320 HP and 800 HP Supras are not unheard of.

BTW I've found an Supra TT engine (Complete Kit) on Ebay for $2,300 final selling price. (Less than 35,000 miles).

About the paint, I have a friend who does custom airbrush paint jobs. He just finished his 1995 covertable mustang with 4 pints of chamelion paint ($750 a pint color-changing paint), he also is putting out around 500 HP @ the rear wheels before NOS. The car is a beast... It would chew up and spit out my stock SC4 anyday.

Most of the labor I can do myself, in 4,000 Square foot garage my father owns.

Finnally Time, I'm in HS, this SC 300 would be a project car... I'm not planning on having it running for at least 10 Months... My father wants to trade the SC 400 for a more practical 4 door (no, I've already asked him about the IS ... wants an even trade.
Old 11-15-01, 06:53 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

As far as salvage titles go, be very careful; see if you can find out what part was wrecked... if the frame was bent, you don't want it

$5000 for motor/tranny/wiring/ECU sounds like a good deal to me

try to pick up a an automatic SupraTT differential or a manual one with the axles...

Yup there are a lot of 800hp Supras (relatively speaking), but its the same engine...
Old 11-30-01, 03:09 PM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

IMO i dont think you should include #8. Troy Lee Knight Down side of car (Fast and the Furious?)

that would be gay to have that. it'll make you look like a ricer.
Old 11-30-01, 06:04 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

I see your point, but If i'm putting out 10 second 1/4 miles, does it really make a whole lotta differance?

But anyhow, I don't know if I'm gonna go with an SC... It's such a long process it might be better just to do it all to a supra (less curb weight)

But, we'll see. I'm just working on the $$$ part right now.

(Know of anyone who's got a rolling shell SC or Supra and wants to sell?)
Old 12-01-01, 09:37 AM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

try the supraforums classified section:

http://www.supraforums.com/supravb/f...?s=&forumid=29
Old 12-02-01, 09:32 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Ok so that means $20k for a SupraTT for 50lbs less of curb weight

Do what you gotta do, but Rome wasn't built in a day... with that long process excuse I'll be happily suprised to see you finish it
Old 12-30-01, 11:14 PM
philauldridge
Driver

I've done the GTE swap in my Lexus SC300. Check out the awesome final results AND find out all the details on the project at: www.fly-hawaii.com/lexustt
Old 01-25-02, 06:22 AM
benzy230
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question...some may laugh at me...well...here it goes!

In the SC300, does it matter if the supra engine is US-Spec, or J-Spec?? Just curious....and if so, how do you tell the difference. Thanks
Old 01-25-02, 08:12 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

shouldn't... i think the J-spec ECU is the same; at least it is on Apexi's website
Old 01-25-02, 08:15 AM
philauldridge
Driver

Default J-spec vs US-spec GTE engines

The J-spec or US engine will both fit and work fine in the SC. I've successfully converted both! For the J-spec engine, you will still need the US harness AND US ECU. The main differences:

1.Several connectors on the J-spec engine are different, make sure you get the J-spec harness, because you will need to remove these and replace on your US harness. This is a simple, straightforward job. Most notably, this includes the ignition coil connectors, and the injector connectors.
2. The turbo on the J-spec is slightly smaller, presumably the horsepower output is marginally less.
3. No EGR on the J-spec.

Quickest way to identify a J-spec engine is the lack of a brake-booster vacuum line fitting which the US-spec has, on the aft, top of the intake manifold.

You can view the final results of my conversion at: www.fly-hawaii.com/lexustt
Old 01-25-02, 09:59 AM
benzy230
Driver

So, since the power is less, can I upgrade the turbos the same as the US-Spec?? And in your booklet....would it help me to do the swap with a j-spec.....

How long did it take you??
Old 01-25-02, 11:08 PM
philauldridge
Driver

Default 2Jz-GTE engine sway

The manual covers fully the J-spec engine conversion, and it works just fine, I have done it. However, why would you want to even consider this engine if your first thought is to upgrade the turbo. Just spend a few dollars more for a US-spec, you'll have less trouble finding repair parts when things break, and not spend a lot of additional hassles with the fitment. (For example, the ignition coils have different connector fittings, so if one malfunctions, you'll have to scrounge around for a J-spec part, rather than going down to Toyota and buying one).

In addition, the alternator connectors are different, as well as the turbo exhaust outlet bolt pattern. Face it, you're going to spend $8-10k for a first-class conversion, why compromise by saving $1,000 or so with a J-spec engine?

My own installation took just less than a year from start to finish, but primarily because no one in my state had the knowledge to do it, and no one in the NATION had, or was willing to give up, the ECU wiring cross-reference information. With the detail information in my manual, which includes a complete parts-required list, all wiring diagrams, and suggested sources, I am convinced I could complete a full conversion easily within a two-week time frame!

Good luck with your quest!
Old 01-26-02, 06:41 AM
benzy230
Driver

Thanks a lot man!! I am going to buy your manual here pretty soon then!! Do you know of any places to buy a good US-Spec engine??

Quick Reply: 2JZ-GE to 2JZ-GTE (Hehehehe) Engine Swap