Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need help with Cam Gear tuning

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-01, 06:17 AM
SC3BOY
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Cam Gear tuning

I have an SC300 5spd. So far all I have done is mufflers out back and a conical air filter. I have an APEXi SAFC (air fuel controller), and I am waiting for a set of cam gears and underdrive pulleys. Obviously the pulleys are an install and go part, but the APEXi SAFC and cam gears require some considerable tuning for optimum operation. It was suggested by my local speed shop, who has no experience with this engine or setup, that I ask somebody who does how to set it up. I will be renting some time on a dyno so I will be able to tune as I go, but I was hoping somebody would be able to give an approximate place to start with the cam gears and if possible the SAFC.
Also is the fact that I have both of them going to change how they are each tuned, or are they independent of each other?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 11-07-01, 12:05 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was first looking for cam gears, I found the following info and pasted it into a text file on my laptop. I can't remember where I got the info from tho!!

However, we have found that setting the exhaust cam gear to -3 marks on the cam gear (-6 actual degrees)and +1 mark (+2 degrees) on the intake side will yield 10rwhp+.

I would still try this on the dyno first...to be safe! Same for the S-AFC. I would only tune it on a dyno so you don't kill the motor. Of course...I've been tuning mine without a dyno since I got it...but I WOULD NOT reccomend that...

SR
Old 11-07-01, 01:26 PM
SC3BOY
Rookie

Hey thanks for the info. Do you think that the tuning of the SAFC is independent of the timing on the cam gears? I do not plan on going to forced induction so this is pretty much it for the this engine. Do you know anything about tuning the SAFC without a turbo, or did you install that after you went turbo?
Old 11-07-01, 01:50 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

send the pullies back... i've been told by several on this board that toyota puts balancers inside their main crank pulley... and the balancer is not there in the lightweight aftermarket ones; it will wear your crank/bearings out
Old 11-07-01, 03:19 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Bean is correct about the crank pulley. You can install the rest of the pullies, and get some weight reduction/more power, but you don't want to install the crank pulley. You'll be buying a new engine in 10 or 20k miles if you do.

You can likely sell the crank pully to someone on the MKIV.com (supra) forum since it's the same. Many people I've seen on there don't mind about wearing out their engines fast...lol

SR
Old 11-07-01, 03:23 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

As for tuning...well they will work together and apart...if you know what I mean. I would do the cam gears first and tune, then do the S-AFC, then mess with the gears one more time.

I don't know of anyone here that has done both of these...you could also ask some of the people with non-turbo supras on MKIV.com. I did put my AFC on before the turbo, but I really didn't get much time to tune it. There are a few people on here that are currently starting to tune theirs...but each car is always different!

SR
Old 11-08-01, 05:35 AM
SC3BOY
Rookie

I remember reading the post about the crank pulley having the balancer in it too. I think I may just not install it. For anybody who was reading this and was thinking about getting pulleys, I think I saw that Nopi sells them all individually. Again, thanks for your help fellas.
Old 11-08-01, 06:18 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

no problem!

SR
Old 11-09-01, 06:49 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone remember Ladman.com?

They believe used to have cams and a stroker kit for the SC
Old 11-09-01, 06:55 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

really? It'd be sweet to see what happens on a turbo 2jz-ge motor with cams... with stock cams it has a REALLY fat powerband... it just plateus and never comes back down lol... it'd be interesting to see what kind of hp is made if the torque band is pushed further up
Old 11-09-01, 07:04 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Both JUN and Crower make stroker kits for our cars, but I've yet to see cams. That would be nice...

I'll go search the 'ol Ladman board if its still up.

SR
Old 11-09-01, 08:11 AM
SC3BOY
Rookie

There is no replacement for displacement. How big do the stroker kits go? That would be nice. It might fill the void in my life of not having a manual SC400. Sure would be nice.
Old 11-09-01, 08:36 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

JUN's is 3.3l

Crowers is 3.4l

I hear that you want JUN's crank, and Crowers pistons and rods.

It'll run you 4-5k for parts.

SR
Old 11-09-01, 01:40 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by SC3BOY
There is no replacement for displacement. How big do the stroker kits go? That would be nice. It might fill the void in my life of not having a manual SC400. Sure would be nice.
Not sure of the SC3, but the SC4 kit stroked it from a 4.0 to a 5.0.

With the cams, the stroker kit was quoted as gaining 100hp at the wheels. They even mentioned some sort of warrenty. I was going to go this route, but several people had mentioned the need for re-burning the computer chip to handle the change. So I put it off. NOw with the Apexi afc/s - whe can custom tune the car. Now the site is down and I have no way of hunting down this kit. Douuhh!
Old 11-10-01, 12:00 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

as far as stroking the SC300 goes, its pointless unless you've already done all the other boltons... because in that price you could have a turbokit installed; and it would be hella faster that way

Quick Reply: Need help with Cam Gear tuning