Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Stroked 2JZ NA

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-07, 09:34 AM
Vince95
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stroked 2JZ NA

I'm considering all options of my motor build and wonder if anyone has gone this route in favor of the 1K hp boosted form. Do SC'd 2JZ's produce more torque than gte's at the same boost levels ?
I'm a low end torque addict and am quite interested in the output of this scenario. I've seen a used 3.4 crank on here for 1200 and see that as decent upgrade but wonder what else may be involved as far as tuning may go. I assume gte cam or special grinds would be needed, On top of boring/honing. i.e. MAF , header brand, cat deletes, timing set up, C.Ratio ?
I know everyone is gonna say go GTE and shut up. I've done two different stroker builds Bowtie 383 and 2.7 22R and loved them both.
my goals are simple at about 300-330 NA HP think this possible stroked or stock displacement ?

enlighten me.

thanks
Old 01-11-07, 11:08 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when do you want the power to quick in. I know you are focusing on trq but the numbers will not be high on a 1K hp engine on the low end. It will need to spool up. If you want low end spool you will need to go with a smaller SC or turbo and that will limit your HP.

what are the ultimate goals? you interested in stroking because you will not have to push as much boost for equal numbers?

Bill
Old 01-11-07, 11:22 AM
CLNSC3
Lexus Test Driver

Do you know how much it costs to stoke a 2jz? Sounds like a waste of money to me...but I would give you props if you did it haha
Old 01-11-07, 12:31 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CLNSC3
Do you know how much it costs to stoke a 2jz? Sounds like a waste of money to me...but I would give you props if you did it haha
The cost of a new crank.
Old 01-11-07, 03:32 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
The cost of a new crank.
but at $1200 for the crank, plus pulling the motor, take to machine shop, have new bearings, clearance everything... hey while we're in there, lets balance and blueprint everything... those pistons - why not higher or lower CR... and while the head is off, might as well freshen it up...

if I wanted to stroke a 2jzGE, it'd cost me 8 grand, cause by the time I was done with all the little stuff, thats what it would add up to...

of course, you could do it on the cheap, leave the motor in the car, do it all from underneath, plastigage everything (not as accurate), and hope it holds together for about $1500, no labor included...

$1500 to me is a turbo kit on a 2jzge, or a 1jzgte...
Old 01-11-07, 05:04 PM
CLNSC3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
but at $1200 for the crank, plus pulling the motor, take to machine shop, have new bearings, clearance everything... hey while we're in there, lets balance and blueprint everything... those pistons - why not higher or lower CR... and while the head is off, might as well freshen it up...

if I wanted to stroke a 2jzGE, it'd cost me 8 grand, cause by the time I was done with all the little stuff, thats what it would add up to...

of course, you could do it on the cheap, leave the motor in the car, do it all from underneath, plastigage everything (not as accurate), and hope it holds together for about $1500, no labor included...

Word.
Old 01-11-07, 10:28 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

TE-44 turbo on stock compression and that will give you full boost and torque by 2500rpm .
Old 01-12-07, 07:50 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by mitsuguy

True, but I think the OP is talking more about the challenge of doing something a bit different.

ie - The Mountain Climber
"Why did you climb that mountain?"
"Because it was there."
Old 01-12-07, 11:11 AM
Vince95
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

thanks for the quick reply... i was planning on spending about five grand in a build if I were to find a used crank adding only new pistons bearings machine work, new internals pump, seals etc. I would like to attempt a torque curve similar the latest VQ35 engine with a surge from 2500 revs to 3800 or so. The small turbo sounds great but my supra's 7MGTE build was testament enough to stay away from boost.
what kind of ECM adjustments would be necessary to run a stroker NA ? what about vivbration issues or heat management due to wall thickness ? anyone know the torque input limitation on the W58 before the input shaft bearing bites the dust ?
how much potential is there is there in NA 2JZ ?
Old 01-12-07, 11:27 AM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

ok first off the brian crower crank at whole sale cost is 2200 and this wont work you will need custom pistons you can use stock rods though. your going to end up spending alot of money to not go anywhere really but it would be cool to see a nicely done all motor build up it just wont be cheap. oh and the difference of the piston will be the pin location and dome height.
Old 01-12-07, 11:40 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Question

Does anyone know if the chevrolet LS v8 series engines will fit in a Lexus SC? This might be a much better bang/buck method for him to achieve brilliant Naturally Aspriated power.
Old 01-12-07, 11:48 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by dejacky
Does anyone know if the chevrolet LS v8 series engines will fit in a Lexus SC? This might be a much better bang/buck method for him to achieve brilliant Naturally Aspriated power.
It'll fit with custom motor mounts/tranny mounts.
Old 01-12-07, 12:35 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Vince95
thanks for the quick reply... i was planning on spending about five grand in a build if I were to find a used crank adding only new pistons bearings machine work, new internals pump, seals etc. I would like to attempt a torque curve similar the latest VQ35 engine with a surge from 2500 revs to 3800 or so. The small turbo sounds great but my supra's 7MGTE build was testament enough to stay away from boost.
what kind of ECM adjustments would be necessary to run a stroker NA ? what about vivbration issues or heat management due to wall thickness ? anyone know the torque input limitation on the W58 before the input shaft bearing bites the dust ?
how much potential is there is there in NA 2JZ ?
in no way should you ever compare the JZ series of engines to the 7M series...

what type of boost related issues did you have with the 7M??? lemme guess - head gasket?
Old 01-15-07, 08:48 AM
Vince95
Driver School Candidate

yeah, blown head gasket happened at 108K then the turbo seals failed 20K later and this car was babied/ rarely bossted up until death due to a spun bearing at 185K.

I take it no one has done this setup so few if any can point in the right direction ? I love the I6 architechure and smoothness but believe this set up in NA form lacks the twist I'm normally accustomed to. SBC chevy sounds lovely if overdone, but I could of bought a SC4 way back and been stock. dimensionally tight but nice would be 1FZ -Fe swap but that's a pipe dream as is this stroked 2JZ NA idea. thanks for all the help. anyone done the supercharger in an SC meant for the IS ? sound like small turbo low boost is the way to go ?
Old 01-15-07, 08:58 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Vince95
yeah, blown head gasket happened at 108K then the turbo seals failed 20K later and this car was babied/ rarely bossted up until death due to a spun bearing at 185K.

I take it no one has done this setup so few if any can point in the right direction ? I love the I6 architechure and smoothness but believe this set up in NA form lacks the twist I'm normally accustomed to. SBC chevy sounds lovely if overdone, but I could of bought a SC4 way back and been stock. dimensionally tight but nice would be 1FZ -Fe swap but that's a pipe dream as is this stroked 2JZ NA idea. thanks for all the help. anyone done the supercharger in an SC meant for the IS ? sound like small turbo low boost is the way to go ?
you can go big boost and not have problems on the JZ motors...

the popped head gasket in the 7M motor is a design flaw - if you look at the block, the head gasket, and the head, you will see a part on the head that doesn't match up in the coolant passage - this accounts for a weak area in the head gasket, and as soon as the motor gets a little tired, the gasket collapses here... the only way to fix it for sure is to get a $500 HKS metal headgasket... I've seen at least 6 or 7 7m Supras with this issue, and they all failed in the exact same spot...

Get ya a 61mm turbo, or even if you want instant response, the stock twins off a Supra... that stock motor can handle it...