Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Can running too rich or lean cause the engine to shut down?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-07, 01:35 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can running too rich or lean cause the engine to shut down?

My bro and I finally finished installing the turbo kit that I bought from a fellow member here! The car runs strong and there's nothing like the sound of a turbo spooling and then the blowoff valve, but I did run into one problem.

After finishing installing the turbo kit, I took it for a test drive around the block. After coasting to a stop right after pushing the car, the rpm will drop to zero and the car will just shut off silently. It has happened three times so far and my bro says it may be because it's running rich and the cars untuned. The car won't die if you drive normally and will only sometimes shut down after pushing it.

Here are the mods:

DaveH manifold
T61 turbo
Booslogic intercooler w/ custom piping
3 inch downpipe
walbro 255 fuel pump
HKS style blowoff valve
k&N filter

I also got a SAFC but my bro hasn't got the time to install it yet. I'll try reseting the ECU but not sure if that'll help. All vacum lines seem to in place and the car idles fine and drives like stock unless you floor it. Hopefully I'm able to get the SAFC installed and get it tuned at DSR in a few weeks.

~Josh
Old 01-11-07, 02:13 AM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course the car wont run properly if untuned, in reality, you shouldnt be driving the car at all at it's current state. How much are you boosting anyways.
Old 01-11-07, 02:59 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wastegate that came with the kit allows 7.2 psi max. I only drove it to get it home because we did the installation at my bro's house. I didn't want to take any chances leaving my car outside due to theft so I had to drive home so it can be garged. Besides, my GS is my daily driver.

~Josh
Old 01-12-07, 06:44 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

blow off valve... if it's vented to the atmosphere and it's after the mass air flow sensor, it will cause a temporary rich condition that can be enough to kill the car...