Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

different heating problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-06, 09:43 AM
sc3dreamz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default different heating problems

Hello all,
I looked up all the heating threads and found similiar problems but nothing quite the same. I have already changed the heater control valve and no luck there. I moved backwards a little and did the radiator cap and there was no luck there. Moving foward I just finished the thermostat up and created new problems.
The car now will over heat unless....you have the heater on. Which still blows cold air no matter what speed I go, idle, it doesnt matter. I just thought it was weird that I change the thermostat out and the car overheats now.
My new thoughts are there could be air around the thermostat, actually I'm sure there is..so that will be taken car of here shortly. I was thinking about moving on to the water pump since I have a new one in the garage, the radiator because it has little leaks and the headgasket b/c I can see the oil leaks around it. Basically I just wanted to make sure there is nothing else I'm missing that could be replaced and probably fix the problem.
Even when I engaged the hcv manually it still didnt blow hot air so I think the problems could be a little more deep rooted. If anyone can think of anything else other than what I stated that I'm going to replace next(radiator,water pump, head gasket) let me know. Thanks.
Old 12-23-06, 06:00 PM
96gti2.0t
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i havent done a thermo on a SC yet but if u replaced all that stuff and it is getting worse i would go over everything make sure you did it right which never hurts and since you have so much that looks like it could be wrong get a coolant pressure tester im sure autozone or somewhere has it hook up put what pump it up to the pressure that the rad cap sees see what leaks you see maybe that will help a little but if you have that kind of coolant issue i would def. get a coolant system pressure tester i got mine from snap-on which is a little expense if you just work on your own car but i think most parts stores have them maybe sears hope i could help and fell free to ask any questions you might have maybe i can help
Old 12-29-06, 07:52 PM
qmanlexus2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure that when you installed the thermastat and gasket that you have with the small giggle Valve thats on the thermastat that its in the grove of the thermostat housing on the Hose side. It should be facing the top of the housing. There was a thread on Someone that changed it but had put the thermostat in wrong. Did you use aftermarket or a OEM thermostat? If you decide to take it apart take the thermostat and do Test with It. Drop the thermostat in water that is 195deg and see if it opens up. If it does its good.