Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HOT jumper cables, bad alternator

Old 12-19-06, 11:55 AM
sc3boost
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOT jumper cables, bad alternator

I already know that my alternator is bad and i have one on the way, but recently i started wondering if there was something else in the car that killed the alternator.

a while ago i was able to jump my car and it will run as long as the jumper cables were attached, but if you dissconected them the car would die, now i cannot jump it at all, and at first it was no big deal, but when i tried to disconect the cables they were boiling hot.

is the hot cables a normal sign of a bad alternator, or could it mean that there is a arched wire or something in the car.

my cables are the really good thick ones, and i use them all the time

any ideas, because i would hate to install a brand new alternator only for it to blow in 1 hour.

quincy
Old 12-20-06, 01:16 AM
sc1jzgte
Pole Position

i came across a similar situation, but my car was sitting for awhile, when I jumped it it wouldnt stay on even witht the cables on. the alt was bad but it was the idle problem that kept it from staying on, I increased the idle and it worked with cables attached, had a problem with cold start. then i replaced battery and alt. hope this helped a little atleast
Old 12-20-06, 04:11 AM
sc3boost
Pole Position

every little bit of info helps, it's just the thought of frying a brand new alternator because i overlooked something stays in the back of my head.

what if the car i'm using to jump my sc has a smaller alternator,will it still work?

i'll try a couple more things to see if it helps, if you find anything out let me know...
Old 12-20-06, 08:32 AM
MDeezy
Rookie

if the jumper cables were hot they were probably the wrong guage wire, they might have been too thin, and get hot as its flowing more current thru it thats it suppost to happen.

If the car dies after removing the jumper cables, the alternator is more than likely dead. the battery is responsible for providing power at start up, but after the car is running its the alternators job to keep the car powered and running. Same situation happened with my brothers' car, battery was fine but his car would die once you try to drive the car.

Changing the alternator should cure the problem. They are so much easier to change on a RWD car than a FWD
Old 12-20-06, 09:56 AM
sc3boost
Pole Position

i know the skinny cables get hot, thats why i was a little worried, my cables are as thick as a AA battery(both - and + sides)

i'm gonna put in a fairly new red top gel with the cables and see what happens
Old 12-20-06, 10:33 AM
MDeezy
Rookie

you battery is probably fine. If anything have a local auto store test it to be sure.

and fortunately auto store alternators come with a lifetime warantee, so should it go back later (hopefully not) you'll altleast have a replacement.
Old 12-21-06, 11:42 PM
sc3boost
Pole Position

Default one more thing

are all alternators from 2jz motors interchangable?

like will a alternator from a 97-99 sc300 , work in a 92-96 sc300.

and will a gs or Is alternator work in a sc?

( i know i'm searching right now)

but just in case you find it before i do please let me know.