Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Problem with 1JZ swap

Old 12-10-06, 08:51 AM
shlounek
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problem with 1JZ swap

OK so where should I start, so i swapped my engine, and then went out for a drive I was boosting 12psi but couldnt rev past 3000 rpm without hesitation so I was giving the car partial throttle just to get to boost, it was sputterring and i could here the factory BOV release.

So I took my car to my freinds since he has more experience in turbo's, put in mind that all the way to my freinds on 5th gear on the highwayh the I could still hear the BOV realeasing with me still in vaccum without even boosting.

So we get to his house and shut off the car and start the car back up, but now we begin to hear whining comming from where the turbos are at and NO boost, it will not build up boost, on idle it would whine and when we give it gas it would whine, So we talk off the intakes and the rear turbo has 0 shaft play and the front turbo has very minimal shaft play. So me thinking the turbo's are blown since there is no boost and what i thought was the death whine, drive my car back home with not even one day of enjoying it.

Driving back home the whining is constant and louder as we pull off the exit ramp, I give it gas the whinning went away and I feel the car is more powerful and i hear the BOV realease "shhhhh" THEN AS WE COME TO A STOP WHITE SMOKE TOOK THE SKIES, i couldnt even see in front of me, white smoke all the way until i got to the parking lot, we let the car idle and then drove it back home it smoked white and black for the next 3 minutes while driving in vaccum then the smoke went away

NOW there is no white smoke but also no boost i can barely get to 0 psi but i hear the turbo's whistling and it gets to 0 fast when i give throttle but nothing after 0psi

WHAT THE &**&^&* IS THE PROBLEM, could it be the BOV, Wastegate vaccum lines, i am not worried about the white smoke cuz it goes away when i am trying to boost to my max of 0psi so it could be a fault PCV valve

Last edited by shlounek; 12-10-06 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-10-06, 06:53 PM
96gti2.0t
Lead Lap

did u check for any boost leaks? what was the history on the motor?
Old 12-11-06, 06:02 AM
shlounek
Lead Lap

the history of the engine is not known, since i purchased the engine by itself and not the clip. I didnt do a boost leak test yet but I will prolly need to, I just need to know what could be the problem so I can pay attention to it and at least replace the part(s) that are defective
Old 12-11-06, 06:24 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds kind of like blown turbos. It didn't happen to me, but from other people's description that is what starts happening. Check on supraforums.

Chris
Old 12-11-06, 06:34 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Check the vaccum to the map sensor
Old 12-11-06, 06:39 AM
shlounek
Lead Lap

but wouldn't blown turbos mean that I will have alot of shaft play, due to the fact that the turbo could be un-balanced.

I dont mind getting new turbo's, they are not that expensive but even with at least one blown turbo I should still be able to boost some type of pressure with the other one.

I dont know it was working fine at the beginning boosting to 12psi but with constant sputterring and only partial throttle, and then no more. It drives fine now but no boost
Old 12-11-06, 06:44 AM
shlounek
Lead Lap

is the MAP the tiny thing thing that says Pressure sensor on it
Old 12-11-06, 06:46 AM
Durrr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, thats the one
Old 12-11-06, 07:46 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

blown turbo(s)

they don't always have shaft play...

pull it apart again, and see how freely they spin...
Old 12-11-06, 08:24 PM
shlounek
Lead Lap

turbo's spint VERY freely.

i did a boost leak test, and found many leaks. and i fixed them all with no difference. it seems that the ecu is in limp mode. i removed the ecu and didn't see anything unusual on the board. when i put the ecu back in, it would still not rev above 5k rpm.

got some pictures

http://www.securityshack.biz/lexus/engine1.jpg

where does this line, number 1, go to? it is directly hooked up to the intake manifold with some kind of black flange.

http://www.securityshack.biz/lexus/engine2.jpg

is the one way valve on the bov hooked up right? labeled number 2 in the pic. the one way valve that originally came with the engine was cracked. so i used another spare one my friend had.

http://www.securityshack.biz/lexus/engine3.jpg

in the last picture, where does the nipples number 3 and number 4 hook up to. number 4 seems to be coming from the throttle body and a one way valve is along the line. any of them hooked up to the map sensor?

Come on guys, HELP ME OUT!
Old 12-15-06, 09:36 PM
SimonR
Driver School Candidate

This might help: http://www.zen11129.zen.co.uk/soarer..._manifold.html
Old 12-15-06, 09:40 PM
SimonR
Driver School Candidate

And this maybe.
Attached Thumbnails Problem with 1JZ swap-dscf1056.jpg  
Old 12-16-06, 06:05 PM
shlounek
Lead Lap

hooked up all the hoses right, the only problem now is reading teh ECU codes. The car is wasting fuel like crazy and i cant seem to read the check engine light codes.

I took it to the dealer to get the codes read and there ECU reader could no communicate with the ECU, could I have a fried ECU??

Man these car problems are getting really annoying, if I can know whats wrong maybee I can change it but its like I am trying to fix things blindly.
Old 12-16-06, 11:42 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

There comes a time to know when you're over your head with things and get a professional. Use the forums to find a reputable shop with experience and get help before this gets worse and more expensive to repair.

If your twins are blown, may I suggest you go small single and rock your world.