Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc300 question + sc300 w/1jz swap question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-06, 06:53 AM
MDeezy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc300 question + sc300 w/1jz swap question.

In search of some advice. I am current saving up and will purchase an sc300 5speed, and soon after driving the car will perform the ever popular 1jz swap into the car. I’ve been making my shopping list, sourcing parts and in need of some advice.

When emissions time comes around. With my current ODB – II equipped vehicle, its an simple task of having no codes and passing the gas cap. For a ODB- I sc300 w/ 1jz stock twins, would passing emission become an issues, with an upgraded exhaust system but say stock cat in place?

I plan to tune with an emanage blue, I could make a stock map and load it when its time for emissions but would that still be sufficient?

I about to do some more research but I’ll throw this question out, what are the differences between say an 92 sc300 and a 96/97 sc300. I know the exterior on the newer sc300 looks better but the car will get a kit, front bumper changed for a more open mouthed (better flow for the intercooler). I do like certain luxuries and am curious if any of the luxuries present in the new sc300 that aren’t present in the older ones (mainly interior featers/design).

Thanks again.
Old 12-06-06, 09:49 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Outside of the gated shifter on the 97+ autos (I believe that's the year they started), there is really no difference on the interior.

My advise to you though is to slow down a bit! You haven't even bought the car yet and you have already swapped in a 1J, put a kit on it and I'm sure considered suspension options. Also, since you said you are "saving" for the car, I assume you are a younger gentleman.

Purchase your car and learn about it first. Drive it, see what it likes and doesn't like. Get to know her first (as well as learning how to properly drive her) before you go and start the horsepower mods.
Old 12-06-06, 10:53 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Outside of the gated shifter on the 97+ autos (I believe that's the year they started), there is really no difference on the interior.

My advise to you though is to slow down a bit! You haven't even bought the car yet and you have already swapped in a 1J, put a kit on it and I'm sure considered suspension options. Also, since you said you are "saving" for the car, I assume you are a younger gentleman.

Purchase your car and learn about it first. Drive it, see what it likes and doesn't like. Get to know her first (as well as learning how to properly drive her) before you go and start the horsepower mods.
forreal its easier said than done
Old 12-06-06, 01:10 PM
MDeezy
Rookie

Originally Posted by mkorsu

Thank you for the advice and input. My phrasing probably created the impression that I would be swapping the day after I get the car. I do want to get the 1jz in there as soon as possible but I plan on enjoying the car for a couple on months get familiar with it, get used to RWD, everything about the car. I know a guy is a distributor for Ksports and could probably hook up a very interesting price on coilover for the sc. I plan to do some of the easier basic mods while the car is still stock, then drop the motor in. Exhaust, and coil overs would probably get on the car long before the 1jz.

I also have a few infestments, and once I sell one of my other vehicles and maybe part out another vehicle I would have more than enough for the 1jz coilovers kit and car.

But for now I've been lurking on this forums and clubna-t for a couple of months reading, soaking in knowlege, and understanding more about the car.

My main concern at the moment is for seeing if a year after I purchase the car I can not pass emission regardless of how much I might try to lean out the engine to pass emissions or create exhaust "leaks" to help.

this wont be my first motor swap so previous experience and hoist that still in the garage will be very helpful when the time comes.
Old 12-07-06, 05:08 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The swap doesn't look too hard at all, the hardest thing would have to be acquiring the 5spd parts to do the 5spd conversion for the r154 trans.
Old 12-07-06, 10:09 PM
MDeezy
Rookie

Originally Posted by tavarish
The swap doesn't look too hard at all, the hardest thing would have to be acquiring the 5spd parts to do the 5spd conversion for the r154 trans.

The swap looks relative painless (key words looks), this should be a walk in the park compared to the 3.5 swap. check ebay I saw a soarer engine with 5spd tranny 1.8k was the price on it.

I've found a few 5spd sc300, they are scattered around the us, but I dont mind a long travel, then get to enjoy the sc300 on a long drive back, test her out.