Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Say hello to my little friend

Old 12-05-06, 10:42 PM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Say hello to my little friend

Just got it today, im still contemplating installing it or not, i dont intend to run more then a 50 shot of Dry N20 but my engine has 220K, What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails Say hello to my little friend-dsc05161.jpg  
Old 12-05-06, 10:45 PM
Duckness
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id use it to spool a big turbo =)
Old 12-06-06, 12:46 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Talking

I personally don't recommend it, but there are folks that use nitrous just fine, just make sure you're properly tuned for it. Also, before installing it, please check the compression of your engine to make sure it can handle it.

Last edited by dejacky; 12-06-06 at 12:51 AM.
Old 12-06-06, 10:37 PM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

A comp check cant tell u much about ur HG., i have great comp. for a 220k engine.
Old 12-06-06, 11:12 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Hello little friend.
Old 12-07-06, 09:13 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Relax TONY......I have two 10lb bottles of nos and one 15lb nos bottle...I never use the 10lb bottles anymore...15lb bottles last twice as long...Something to consider from someone who has been running nos for 3 years now on his SC400....

Nos equals torque, and a 50hp shot is not much but you will get a decent little push out of it...Do it...I would go for atleast a 100hp shot...That will get the job done for you...A 150 shot you will just spin and spin and spin and go no where...Traction becomes a problem with anything over 100hp shot on these Sc's....Remember there is no gradual excelleration with your NOS system....

Last edited by jibbby; 12-07-06 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-07-06, 09:21 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jibbby
Nos equals torque
NO, NITROUS equals torque (and HP).

NOS equals Nitrous Oxide Systems, a company that pioneered Nitrous use in motorsports.

Please stop referring to nitrous as "NOS". The terms are NOT interchangable.
Old 12-07-06, 09:46 AM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Default bottle

Bottles are for Babies ... My 2¢
Old 12-07-06, 09:58 AM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

just be carefull and make sure your floorboard doen't fall out hahaha
Old 12-07-06, 10:06 AM
jibbby

NOS/N.O.S. - Nitrous Oxide Systems....It is the name of a company and also a abbreviation for the system.....

If we are getting technical there you have it..They are interchangeable....
Old 12-07-06, 11:27 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

It has never been and never will be an abbreviation for the actual system in the car. No one refers to a nitrous setup as a "Nitrous Oxide System" or "NOS". But even if they did it wouldn't be in the form of the word nos. It would used as an acronym. Pronounced with the initials only "N.O.S", pronounced en, oh, es.

The use of nos as an accepted term for nitrous appears to have stemmed from the Fast & the Furious movie (although I'm sure other neophytes have used it in that vain as well). But I digress, the prevelance of the usage of "nos" as a literal term seemed to explode upon the automotive scene immediately after Paul Walker's utterly non-gearheaded statement "I need Nos", as he's holding/standing next to a bottle of nitrous from Nitrous Oxide Systems.

So, if we are getting technical as you said, you are running a 15lb bottle of nitrous, not NOS.
Additionally, since we are being technical,
Originally Posted by jibbby
A 150 shot you will just spin and spin and spin and go no where...Traction becomes a problem with anything over 100hp shot on these Sc's....Remember there is no gradual excelleration with NOS....
is blatently incorrect.
First, there are many multi stage nitrous setups out there that DO infact allow a gradual progression of nitrous to be added to the combustion chambers. Also, most systems allow nitrous to come on at either a certain RPM range or speed. This being controlled via computer.
Yes, with a basic system that comes on at WOT, tire spin would be an issue. But, tire spin would be an issue with basically ANY amount of nitrous, not just those above a 100 shot. Traction is a problem faced by all drag racers and not limited to an SC as you state. A properly setup SC can handle MUCH more than a 100 shot and still not suffer traction issues. Simple things such as 10/90 drag shocks, a ladder bar addition to the rear, a good set of drag tires, and proper launch technique.

The point of my tirade here is to stem this flow of poor knowledge that seems to be flowing here of late. Very few of us here are the "be all end all" person of auto knowledge. I am certainly not one of them. But I do know a few things. Respect the fact that even though you are one of only a few SC400 owners running nitrous along with a few other modifications, it does not mean you know everything there is to know about said vehicle.
Old 12-07-06, 11:30 AM
hass
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dejacky
I personally don't recommend it, but there are folks that use nitrous just fine, just make sure you're properly tuned for it. Also, before installing it, please check the compression of your engine to make sure it can handle it.
I'm sorry to be offtopic everyone, but dejacky could u please make room for some PM's.
-hass
Old 12-07-06, 12:10 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mkorsu
It has never been and never will be an abbreviation for the actual system in the car. No one refers to a nitrous setup as a "Nitrous Oxide System" or "NOS". But even if they did it wouldn't be in the form of the word nos. It would used as an acronym. Pronounced with the initials only "N.O.S", pronounced en, oh, es.

The use of nos as an accepted term for nitrous appears to have stemmed from the Fast & the Furious movie (although I'm sure other neophytes have used it in that vain as well). But I digress, the prevelance of the usage of "nos" as a literal term seemed to explode upon the automotive scene immediately after Paul Walker's utterly non-gearheaded statement "I need Nos", as he's holding/standing next to a bottle of nitrous from Nitrous Oxide Systems.

So, if we are getting technical as you said, you are running a 15lb bottle of nitrous, not NOS.
Additionally, since we are being technical,

is blatently incorrect.
First, there are many multi stage nitrous setups out there that DO infact allow a gradual progression of nitrous to be added to the combustion chambers. Also, most systems allow nitrous to come on at either a certain RPM range or speed. This being controlled via computer.
Yes, with a basic system that comes on at WOT, tire spin would be an issue. But, tire spin would be an issue with basically ANY amount of nitrous, not just those above a 100 shot. Traction is a problem faced by all drag racers and not limited to an SC as you state. A properly setup SC can handle MUCH more than a 100 shot and still not suffer traction issues. Simple things such as 10/90 drag shocks, a ladder bar addition to the rear, a good set of drag tires, and proper launch technique.

The point of my tirade here is to stem this flow of poor knowledge that seems to be flowing here of late. Very few of us here are the "be all end all" person of auto knowledge. I am certainly not one of them. But I do know a few things. Respect the fact that even though you are one of only a few SC400 owners running nitrous along with a few other modifications, it does not mean you know everything there is to know about said vehicle.

Nicely put.
Old 12-07-06, 12:11 PM
jibbby

Dudes the guy is holding a "NOS" bottle for the NOS system...I also have a Dry NOS system with a 15lb NOS bottle....It is what it is....

Also this guy is not installing a progressive nos shot...So a burst of an 150hp direct shot would cause a problem with traction...However he only wants a 50hp shot so he is good...

I have an SC400 with a true 100whp dry shot going on (no progressive), fat soft tires, dampening, Torsen LSD and still cannot use the shot in first gear...I get too much dual rear wheel spin...I use the nos in second gear mostly and still break loose some..I can however launch at the end of first gear and get the best results...My dragon torque converter helps contributes to that effect...Many factors need to be considered with what shot to use with what application...It all depends on your setup..

Regarding Nitrous Oxide System setups on an SC400-

50hp shot - you do not need tuning or change anything from stock, etc...

100hp shot - you will need a high volume fuel pump (Walbro)...The stock ECU runs the car rich so again tuning is not absolutely necessary.....

150hp shot - You need it all, fuel pump, tuning, even timing is a good idea.....

NOTE - The SC300 maybe different......
Attached Images  

Last edited by jibbby; 12-07-06 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-07-06, 02:31 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Just put this in my car today.

I'm runnin' a 100 shot of nex. It's just like nos, but it's nex since the bottle has an "N" and an "X" on it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Say hello to my little friend