Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help: Car died on me, starter issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-06, 12:35 PM
flyhigh123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Car died on me, starter issues

So my starter has been clicking for the past few months, sometimes takes 5-10 turns until it fires the engine.

anyways, a few nights ago, it was late in the night and I could not get my engine to fire. I was stupid and kept turning it and then the lights shut off, headlights and interiror cabin and dash.

Anyways, I popped the hood and touched the battery negative terminal and it was scorching hot. I burned my fingers.

All of a sudden, nothing works or even turns on in my car. No lights or anything. I thought it was the battery and replaced it but still nothing.

I believe my starter and starter solenoid are fried due to the heat, but i'm not sure.

I'm in the process of replacing the starter right now.

My question is, should the lights in my car still turn on with a fried solenoid and a new battery?????

Could my issues be more than just the starter? Maybe a fuse or relay?

Does the car stop all power when the starter and solenoid goes bad???

Help!

thanks!
Old 11-27-06, 01:15 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

starter is engine which = engine forum.

moved
Old 11-27-06, 01:55 PM
Lex*Toy
Pole Position

It doesn't sound as if your car is stock. Trying to start the car with a failing starter should not hurt it anymore.

What electrical modifications have you done?
Old 11-27-06, 04:37 PM
flyhigh123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lex*Toy
It doesn't sound as if your car is stock. Trying to start the car with a failing starter should not hurt it anymore.

What electrical modifications have you done?
this car is stock....

damn....

what are the things that can cause a full blackout, ie no power to anything???
Old 11-27-06, 05:33 PM
KrazeMatik
Lexus Test Driver

I had the same exact problem buddy, but when i tried to turn my car on (leaving it long time of period, working or sleeping prob 6 to 7 hours) it would click then my dash and everything else turn blackout and when i let go everything has power up again, but when i have someone jump my car it would fire right up, i still from this day dont know what is the real prob with my car.... so i went and bought a new batter and everything is working fine for 2 weeks now. i thought it was my starter too. then i remember my alternator died on me 2 time with the old battery( probaly short the life of the battery) oh when i tried to turn my car on you can hear a whilse sound and my battery had a Vibration on the side of it..... only mod i did was rewire my parking light to my bottom fog light.
Old 11-28-06, 01:54 AM
sean9975
Lead Lap

these cars are funny they need full charged batterys to run correctly. i would try a new battery and terminals before starter. good luck
Old 11-28-06, 10:19 AM
94scfl
Driver School Candidate

i have the same issue! we repalced the starter and it still cuts off! everything cuts off once at 75 mph and more when setting at an idle. my car is in excellent cond with 75,000 miles all stock, but car just cuts off it will start if you put in park and turn key sometimes it takes several tries thanks m moore 94scfl
Old 11-28-06, 10:29 AM
flyhigh123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 94scfl
i have the same issue! we repalced the starter and it still cuts off! everything cuts off once at 75 mph and more when setting at an idle. my car is in excellent cond with 75,000 miles all stock, but car just cuts off it will start if you put in park and turn key sometimes it takes several tries thanks m moore 94scfl

hmmm... on a sidenote... sometimes when my AC is on and i am in idle and I turn it off, the car will stall...

for some reason, my RPM's are heavily influenced by the AC....
Old 11-29-06, 11:39 AM
94scfl
Driver School Candidate

i replaced my ignition switch not starter sorry bout that
Old 11-30-06, 11:34 AM
flyhigh123
Driver School Candidate

replaced the starter... power comes on to everything... only thing is that nothing happens when I turn the key, i hear nothing from the engine bay.

does anyone know where the starter relay is??? also anyone have a diagram of the different fuse/relay boxes???

thanks!
Old 11-30-06, 01:31 PM
flyhigh123
Driver School Candidate

how about the neutral switch?? where is it on the sc400?
Old 12-01-06, 09:08 AM
shlounek
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your problem is simple, you have a loose/corroded neg battery connection, or bad ground, I would locate your starter make sure all the connections are on tight and clean out ur battery terminals.

I had the same problem, the battery gets hot cuz its a bad connection so it will keep sparking between the wire and the battery terminal creating heat, and when a load aka starter load is put on the terminal the power will die out,

The last thing you do is change the starter, i would also check the relay or run a wire directly from the POS signal wire (black wire) to the POS battery terminal to see if starter turns

good luck