Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Won't allow me to fill up my tank?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-06, 08:14 PM
Sweetser
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't allow me to fill up my tank?

I was running a bit low on gas this morning (the light was on) so I went to the gas station and I was planning on filling it up, the whole 19 gallons or so.

I begin filling it up and the gas nozzle stops when I've only put in about 8 gallons. I keep trying to fill it up, but it won't allow me, and eventually the nozzle just automatically cuts off and won't fill up any more. So I just stopped, when I looked at my gas gauge it went up only to about half tank. Could my gas gauge not be calibrated correctly? I know that I filled up my tank before about a month ago, I put in about 18 gallons. Unless now, I really have a full tank, but it's calibrated to show a full tank at half a tank? Anyone ever had this problem? What can I do to solve this situation?
Old 11-09-06, 08:17 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you ever pumped gas before?

A gas pump has an automatic shutoff when it senses a backflow in the nozzle. You could just have the nozzle a hair too deep into the filler neck causing some splashback into the nozzle causing it to shutoff. Try pulling the nozzle out slightly and keep filling. If it is still shutting off, then your tank is most likely full.
Old 11-09-06, 09:55 AM
Mugbeer
Driver School Candidate

Your car is totaled sell it to me...

Really though mine does the same thing sometimes, just dont stick the nozzle in so far...she likes it gentle.
Old 11-09-06, 12:13 PM
Sweetser
Driver

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Have you ever pumped gas before?

A gas pump has an automatic shutoff when it senses a backflow in the nozzle. You could just have the nozzle a hair too deep into the filler neck causing some splashback into the nozzle causing it to shutoff. Try pulling the nozzle out slightly and keep filling. If it is still shutting off, then your tank is most likely full.

Yep, and I've never had this problem before... Only on the SC.

My tank is not full, if you read my post, the needle was on the "E" with the orange light ON. No matter how much I tried "backing it off" it would still click and click and won't fill. Logic says, my tank would be full, but no. Why would it only fill up 8 gallons and my gauge needle be at half tank?

Originally Posted by Mugbeer
Your car is totaled sell it to me...

Really though mine does the same thing sometimes, just dont stick the nozzle in so far...she likes it gentle.
Yeah, maybe it's a Lemon? The SC has been nothing but problems...
Old 11-09-06, 01:43 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweetser
Yep, and I've never had this problem before... Only on the SC.

My tank is not full, if you read my post, the needle was on the "E" with the orange light ON. No matter how much I tried "backing it off" it would still click and click and won't fill. Logic says, my tank would be full, but no. Why would it only fill up 8 gallons and my gauge needle be at half tank?

Yeah, maybe it's a Lemon? The SC has been nothing but problems...
how about a general design issue with the gas tank - because our gas tanks are located somewhat high in the car, the "generic" fuel pump handle that points more down than the angle of our gas tank will sometimes cause it to shut off, or be picky when fueling...

if your car is such a lemon, I'll more than gladly take it off your hands...
Old 11-09-06, 02:11 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is the closest of a fuel tank diagram I could find supporting the 1993 SC.

You may notice the tank vents through the charcoal filter ...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
EG001_98.pdf (67.3 KB, 563 views)
Old 11-09-06, 02:15 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

...any chance the pump you were at ran out of gas? I've had it happen before so...

did you try a different pump/station? Common sense would tell me to try this first no?
Old 11-10-06, 02:44 PM
shlounek
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do what we do in back home in Iraq GAS is cheaper than water, pull the nozzle back and just Fill up until it starts to pour out. THEN ppl will really think ur rich. Lexus and gas pouring out.
Old 11-10-06, 03:02 PM
Kepeli
Pole Position

My IS350 does the same thing at about 7 gallons. When it happens I just turn the nozzle slight to the left or right and it fills up the remainder just fine. A guy at that worked at the station said it happens a lot with the Lexus brand.
Old 11-10-06, 03:13 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shlounek
Do what we do in back home in Iraq GAS is cheaper than water, pull the nozzle back and just Fill up until it starts to pour out. THEN ppl will really think ur rich. Lexus and gas pouring out.
gasoline is corrosive though. So, i probably wouldnt do that.
Old 11-10-06, 03:24 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I go to one gas station that the auto. shut off is part. sensitive on 1 or 2 pumps which causes this, other side of coin I was filling up at another station and the auto. shut off failed and gas overflowed, the owners acted like it was no big deal,but I mabe them give me a bucket of soapy water to wash it off.
Old 11-10-06, 06:43 PM
Sweetser
Driver

Originally Posted by Kepeli
My IS350 does the same thing at about 7 gallons. When it happens I just turn the nozzle slight to the left or right and it fills up the remainder just fine. A guy at that worked at the station said it happens a lot with the Lexus brand.

Thanks for the info. Seems like you had the same problem as me and I will definitely try this next time that problem occurs.
Old 11-10-06, 08:53 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had all of my cars (of all makes) do that when I fill up extremely low, I've been told it has something to do with the gas fumes that build up in the tank when you run low (but that could be wrong).

When it does that I've found that I can't squeeze the handle all the way or it shuts off immediately. If I just squeeze halfway it fills up just fine.
Old 11-11-06, 12:19 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem with my 99' GS300. I know my car was very low on gas and it would just stop after a few moments. I had the car for a while and never had that problem. I did put a S/C on but, it still would fill up as normal, but then after a while I started experiencing this problem. I never found out why. I would be interested to know,