Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Fuel filter-1, stokdd-0

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-06, 11:11 AM
stokdd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel filter-1, stokdd-0

So I woke up today thinking I was going to replace the fuel filter on my '95 SC400. WRONG!

I've used almost an entire can of PB Blaster, wrench, even a pair of Vise Grips and a hammer....all to no avail. Those damn nuts are SEIZED!

Any suggestions that don't include cutting/breaking/replacing the hard lines?
Old 11-05-06, 11:53 AM
BiZ
Intermediate

Try using a piece of pipe over the end of the wrench/vise grips for extra leverage.
Old 11-05-06, 01:42 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Go pick yourself up some flare wrenchs. They work great on brake and fuel lines as long as you havn't stripped the nut.

Old 11-05-06, 05:55 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys are giving excellent advice, I had the same prob. The only way I got through it was a pair of vise grips and a line wrench, and yes the gas continues to run down your arm until your done, sweet.
Old 11-05-06, 05:57 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by over40driv
You guys are giving excellent advice, I had the same prob. The only way I got through it was a pair of vise grips and a line wrench, and yes the gas continues to run down your arm until your done, sweet.
True Story!
Old 11-06-06, 11:32 AM
deruvian
Driver

eeyeah... the fuel filter placement on the SC is by far the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Well, I take that back... My 4Runner had the fuel filter in close to the same spot, and it was a b**** too.

I ended up taking my SC to a mechanic to have it done, turns out the rear line needed to be replaced... Cost a little over $200 for the whole deal.

I used to be a Subaru fanatic, and most of their cars have the fuel filter right in the engine compartment. Takes like 5 minutes to replace. If there's one thing Subaru did right, it's that. How f-ing hard could it be to place the filter in a better location?

Anyway, /rant.
Old 11-06-06, 08:08 PM
stokdd
Driver

yyyyyeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhh.........so I bought an assortment of flare nut wrenches...now both nuts are rounded off (yes, I used to correct size - 14mm).

I'm thinking about cutting the hard lines a few inches from the filter in each direction, getting short straight hard lines to put in the new filter and run high-grade rubber hose to connect the new and old hard lines.

Anyone think this is a bad idea?
Old 11-06-06, 10:51 PM
stokdd
Driver

Well you can forget that...no local parts stores have flare nuts and fuel lines in metric sizes
Old 11-07-06, 07:24 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stokdd
yyyyyeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhh.........so I bought an assortment of flare nut wrenches...now both nuts are rounded off (yes, I used to correct size - 14mm).

I'm thinking about cutting the hard lines a few inches from the filter in each direction, getting short straight hard lines to put in the new filter and run high-grade rubber hose to connect the new and old hard lines.

Anyone think this is a bad idea?
thats how my fuel filter was when i got my sc 400 .no not even .the guy who had it before did not even have one on the car .so i jus chopped the rubber hose he used and added a filter .works perfect to me
Old 11-07-06, 05:24 PM
stokdd
Driver

Found what I need at Oreillys and Pep Boys...bought two adapters into the fuel filter, two flare nuts+hard line, tube cutter, tubing flare kit, o rings, teflon tape, fuel injection hose, and clamps. Total bill was about $51 (ouch!) but worth it if it works!
Old 11-07-06, 05:44 PM
stokdd
Driver

Guys....I just had an epiphany...instead of going through all this trouble and spending $70 (in my case)....wouldn't it be just as good to use, say a 300ZX fuel filter (just like the OEM Toyota without the bracketry, but only like $10), cut+flare the factory hard lines, connect with fuel injection hose, and use some sort of cheap clamp to hold the filter to the body??????

Hrmmmmm.......
Old 11-07-06, 05:55 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stokdd
Guys....I just had an epiphany...instead of going through all this trouble and spending $70 (in my case)....wouldn't it be just as good to use, say a 300ZX fuel filter (just like the OEM Toyota without the bracketry, but only like $10), cut+flare the factory hard lines, connect with fuel injection hose, and use some sort of cheap clamp to hold the filter to the body??????

Hrmmmmm.......
yes...that is a great idea. people do this all the time to add a second fuel pump in their original fuel line. make sure you flare the ends of the fuel line though and definately use fuel injection hose like you said. I would also recommend double clamping the fuel hose on the line.
Old 11-07-06, 06:06 PM
stokdd
Driver

^ Great, I knew I wasn't that stupid, lol! I tallied up my costs and I'm just going to go the route I've begun, but to someone who hasn't spent anything yet, DOOO EEEEEEEET!

'91-'96 (?) Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo fuel filter $9-17 depending on brand. 5/16" or 3/8" fuel injection hose, 1'-2'. Clamps, flaring kit, tube cutter, and some sort of bracket to attach the filter to the chassis.
Old 11-07-06, 11:59 PM
stokdd
Driver

All done! Definitelly made an improvement - much quicker! I even have the speeding ticket to prove it! :P
Old 11-08-06, 01:40 PM
kaosman
Driver

Originally Posted by deruvian
eeyeah... the fuel filter placement on the SC is by far the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Well, I take that back... My 4Runner had the fuel filter in close to the same spot, and it was a b**** too.

I ended up taking my SC to a mechanic to have it done, turns out the rear line needed to be replaced... Cost a little over $200 for the whole deal.

I used to be a Subaru fanatic, and most of their cars have the fuel filter right in the engine compartment. Takes like 5 minutes to replace. If there's one thing Subaru did right, it's that. How f-ing hard could it be to place the filter in a better location?

Anyway, /rant.
You've never seen the filter placement on a 3rd gen RX-7 then, if you think the SC is bad. On the RX, they put the fuel filter ABOVE the rear differential. Its a total PITA to take that out. At least its easy to get to the SC's filter.

Quick Reply: Fuel filter-1, stokdd-0