Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

NOOB QUESTION ABOUT 2JZ swap...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-06, 01:40 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default NOOB QUESTION ABOUT 2JZ swap...

ok, quick question for you pro's..basically a 2jz-gte swap into a sc300 is a complete drop in beside that you have to extend the wire harness to the intake manifold right? all the engine mounts, ect. should bolt right up to the
2jz correct?? done a little bit of research in the past couple of weeks, plus i'm planning to just run the stock 5 speed transmission..please correct me if i'm way wrong about this..
Old 11-04-06, 02:28 PM
TT6SPDSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't call it a bolt in. Yes, the engine will bolt directly in, but there are a lot of other things that aren't that simple. The harness work isn't as simple as needing stretched either. The Supra harness plugs that go to the body are not correct for the SC. You'll need the SC plugs and will have to repin the Supra harness to them in the correct locations. Lastly, that stock 5 speed won't last long if you plan on making any power.
Old 11-04-06, 06:57 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

cool..what if i were to do a 1jz instead..would it be the same or maybe a little bit easier on wiring and such? since you said that about the supra harness not bolting up with the sc plugs, i guess i could trailed the car already swap to a local shop to finish it for me b/c them doing the swap and everything for a 2jz is around $13k-15k and i sure can't afford that, so i figure i'll just buy the whole engine itself ect. and swap it myself and let the shop do all the harness and whatever else i might get stuck on...and about the stock 5 speed transmission..i'm guessing i'll be fine FOR now since the 6 speed is so expensive..thanks for the advices though!
Old 11-04-06, 07:31 PM
TT6SPDSC
Pole Position

$13-15K?! It should only run about $4K in labor max.
Old 11-04-06, 07:38 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TT6SPDSC
$13-15K?! It should only run about $4K in labor max.
that's what i was expecting, around that price as well...they're probably tryin to rip me off or something?
Old 11-04-06, 07:46 PM
drft_n_sc
Pole Position

I read somewhere on the web that there's a book you can buy for less than $100. Its called ULTIMATE LEXUS. In it you will find everything you need to swap a 2JZGTE into a SC. It has wiring diagrams, illustrations, and everything else you can think of. Its a DIY if you have the time, patience, and $$.
Old 11-04-06, 07:52 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

A 1jz can make one sick powerful street car and can be purchased for much less than the 2jz, lets say about one third the price. What h.p. goals do you have? Most problems with the w58 5sp occur in the mid-400 rwhp level. A number seldom seen on the twins but easily attainable number for a small single. My w58 had no problems with 330 rwhp on bpu+ 2j. We'll see how it handles the new single.

I think the 1jz is a remarkably potent engine. I sorta wished I'd known more about it, though California CARB won't cert that engine.

The price problem is the 2F2F movie made the MKIV and its 2j a cult engine. There are very powerful 1jz's out there and Champion Toyota imports parts for them now.

You should probably spend a couple of weeks reading on the SupraForums before you decide your path, there is a wealth of info there and you'll find the 1j has a following.

Last edited by SCoupe; 11-05-06 at 08:36 AM. Reason: like ttspsc said...
Old 11-04-06, 08:04 PM
trangk
Driver

Originally Posted by SC300_704
ok, quick question for you pro's..basically a 2jz-gte swap into a sc300 is a complete drop in beside that you have to extend the wire harness to the intake manifold right? all the engine mounts, ect. should bolt right up to the
2jz correct?? done a little bit of research in the past couple of weeks, plus i'm planning to just run the stock 5 speed transmission..please correct me if i'm way wrong about this..
As someone who's doing the swap right now .... the engine will fit and is a drop in. However, depending on which engine you get (a USDM supra engine vs JDM supra vs JDM aristo) you're gonna be spending alot of time and money tracking down the parts needed to sucessfully use the engine in the SC (power steering pump, oil pans, etc)... it's not a simple: buy the engine, drop it in, and redo wiring unfortunately

Having said that tho, don't let it discourage you. Just takes time and money
Old 11-04-06, 08:51 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by trangk
As someone who's doing the swap right now .... the engine will fit and is a drop in. However, depending on which engine you get (a USDM supra engine vs JDM supra vs JDM aristo) you're gonna be spending alot of time and money tracking down the parts needed to sucessfully use the engine in the SC (power steering pump, oil pans, etc)... it's not a simple: buy the engine, drop it in, and redo wiring unfortunately

Having said that tho, don't let it discourage you. Just takes time and money
thanks for the advices, i diffiently needed it from people with this kind of experiences since i just got out of the honda/acura stuff recently...
Old 11-04-06, 08:53 PM
TT6SPDSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by drft_n_sc
I read somewhere on the web that there's a book you can buy for less than $100. Its called ULTIMATE LEXUS. In it you will find everything you need to swap a 2JZGTE into a SC. It has wiring diagrams, illustrations, and everything else you can think of. Its a DIY if you have the time, patience, and $$.

Not saying that book may not be helpful, but here are a couple things to think about...
1) You're doing it the way someone else did it and do you really know they did everything right.
2) There are wiring changes between different year SC's. Which year is the book based on? Which year is your SC?

For instance...There was a guy who did the first known MK1.5 MR2 swap in the US. He put details of the swap on the forums and basically noted everything that he did so that others could do it too. That's all fine and dandy...However, he cut up his firewall to fit the engine which, as it turns out, isn't necessary at all.

My point is that just because there's a guide that someone made, and their car runs, doesn't mean they did everything the best way it could've been done.

trangk...
No need to buy oil pans if you're using an Aristo engine. Just use the ones from your SC. All you have to do is drill and tap the pan for the oil return, it's already flat-spotted, just not drilled.

SCoupe...
It's a W58 in the SC, not W158. The Soarer and MKIII Supra use a R154. Maybe that's what you have in your 1J swap. The R154 can hold power fairly well, but I've managed to destroy them almost as quickly as I can replace them.

EDIT: Just realised you're running a 2J with the W58. I'm guessing the 158 was just a brain fart. lol!

Last edited by TT6SPDSC; 11-04-06 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-04-06, 09:08 PM
TT6SPDSC
Pole Position

SC300704...
IF you decide to go with the 1J spend the extra cash on the clip vs just the engine assy. It'll save you money and trouble in the long run.
Old 11-05-06, 08:42 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TT6SPDSC
SCoupe...
The R154 can hold power fairly well, but I've managed to destroy them almost as quickly as I can replace them.

EDIT: Just realised you're running a 2J with the W58. I'm guessing the 158 was just a brain fart. lol!
Yeah, and thanks for the excuse ! I corrected the post.

btw, what hp levels riped your R154 ?
Old 11-05-06, 12:13 PM
TT6SPDSC
Pole Position

I shredded 2 of them at 430 rwhp. I drive my cars hard every time I'm in them though, no *****footing here! lol!

I do know a guy who made over 400 rwhp on a MKIII Supra with the W58 for quite some time before it finally died. When I did it was a catastrophic failure, ie no repairing.