Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Intermittent speedometer/odometer operation

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-06, 01:31 PM
horton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent speedometer/odometer operation

The speedometer and odometer on my '93 SC400 periodically stop working (needle falls to zero and odomoter stops incrementing), then they'll start back up on their own after a while. I tried changing the speedo/tach cluster with another, and the problem was unchanged. I've been told that the fault is probably the No. 1 Vehicle Speed Sensor mounted on the rear of the transmission, but I thought I'd check to see if anyone else has had this problem and found the solution before I change out the VSS.
Old 10-29-06, 02:00 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

If you changed the cluster and the problems didn't go away, of course it if the speed sensor.
Old 07-10-08, 09:19 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

I know this is an old thread but I too am now having the same problem on my 97 only I never changed clusters. The only thing to happen recently was the car sat for a while and battery died which I replaced with an optima. Mine will do the same thing except the odometer goes out completely while the speedometer stops and then comes back on. It still counts the miles while its out though.
Old 07-10-08, 10:14 PM
scfocus
Pole Position

So replace your speed sensor?
Old 07-11-08, 02:36 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

Is there ANYTHING else it could possibly be? I would like to try any and all other things before replacing a VSS. Anyone know the cost on one of these anyway?
Old 07-11-08, 03:50 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Mine went out also. I forgot the exact price but I know it was in the low $200 range from Lexus of Roseville.
Old 07-11-08, 05:35 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

the cost would be alot less if you can tell me where its located on an SC...
Old 09-16-08, 03:37 AM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

OK update. I can almost pinpoint when it will happen based on the weather (seriously). I live in Florida so on days it rains, doesnt happen. Days where it is hot and the car has been in the heat for a long time (like when at work), it never works. My question now is, knowing this...would it still be the VSS. And why would temp conditions change its performance?
Old 01-15-09, 05:22 PM
dscholl
Driver School Candidate

I don't have an answer - but I am also having the very same issue. Seems to generally happen if it is hot (I also live in FL) or if the car has been sitting for a couple days. Seems to stay stuck at 0 then suddenly pops up - generally when I hit ~40MPH. Then will be fine for the rest of the trip. I am also very interested if it could be something other than the speed sensor.
Old 01-15-09, 06:44 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

sorry i never updated this but i did one time get a cel for my vss bank 2
Old 05-03-09, 10:58 AM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

replaced the speed sensor and it still happens, even checked the wiring and it looks fine...what next?
Old 05-17-09, 07:12 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

ok guys, PLEASE help me here...im going insane! BOTH sensors have now been replaced with used sensors. i pulled the cluster out to replace a bulb and when I put it back in, the cluster worked for the 5 minute drive home. next time i got in, out again. usually at night it stays on the whole time tonight it stayed on for a little bit then went off. i need to know anything else to check, electrical, grounds, anything. there was a time when i changed batteries (to an optima) the terminals connectors were corroded. i cleaned them off and even on the new battery they started to corrode again. i finally swtiched over to esoteric terminal connectors which do not corrode but it makes me wonder, first-what was causing the corrosion (since it was on a new battery) and second-could whatever it was still be happening since all i really did was stop the corroding with a non corroding terminal but not the actual cause. i really need help here guys, the higher shifting and cel is KILLING my gas mileage.
Old 05-17-09, 10:32 PM
SH_JZZ30
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boobstar
ok guys, PLEASE help me here...im going insane! BOTH sensors have now been replaced with used sensors. i pulled the cluster out to replace a bulb and when I put it back in, the cluster worked for the 5 minute drive home. next time i got in, out again. usually at night it stays on the whole time tonight it stayed on for a little bit then went off. i need to know anything else to check, electrical, grounds, anything. there was a time when i changed batteries (to an optima) the terminals connectors were corroded. i cleaned them off and even on the new battery they started to corrode again. i finally swtiched over to esoteric terminal connectors which do not corrode but it makes me wonder, first-what was causing the corrosion (since it was on a new battery) and second-could whatever it was still be happening since all i really did was stop the corroding with a non corroding terminal but not the actual cause. i really need help here guys, the higher shifting and cel is KILLING my gas mileage.

That used to happen to my 97. I got a check engine light for it too. On hot days it never worked. But if I run the AC and it cools down the inside it would turn back on. I replaced the gauge cluster and it never happened again. When the speedo doesnt work, your power steering will always be loose because it thinks you are going 0 mph which isn't too safe.
Old 05-17-09, 10:51 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

i know this is going out on a limb here but it would help me out a lot... since we are both in florida, if we are close enough would it be possible to meet up and test your cluster in my car. i hate to start looking at replacing things that it MIGHT not be. i mean i know its a long shot but i have to ask.
Old 05-18-09, 12:00 AM
SH_JZZ30
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I dont have the 97 anymore. It was totalled. But I did replace the good gauge cluster with the old one before they took it. I'm in south florida. Where are you?

Quick Reply: Intermittent speedometer/odometer operation