Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Could it be.....Turbo?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-01, 08:11 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Could it be.....Turbo?!

Ahh yes....stripping the engine down to put on my turbo...what fun. I'll post a couple pics from today. Hopefully I'll finish this tomorrow, and be able to tell the outcome!

For those that don't know, I got a Toyomoto turbo kit with:

external wastegate so it sounds like a jet engine

external blow-off-valve to it sounds like a, well, external blow-off-valve (whoosh!)

tO4e turbo

apex'i avc-r boost controller

greddy turbo timer

supra turbo fuel pump

haltech f5 fuel injector controller

and all the stuff that goes with all that.

Oh ya, I got some Supra TT brakes, steel lines, and crossdrilled rotors too...i'll be putting those on tomorrow too.

Ugh....my poor car...
Attached Thumbnails Could it be.....Turbo?!-mvc-138s.jpg  
Old 10-19-01, 08:13 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Old manifold and downpipe....
Attached Thumbnails Could it be.....Turbo?!-mvc-119s.jpg  
Old 10-19-01, 08:14 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

New manifold...downpipe....turbo....wastegate...
Attached Thumbnails Could it be.....Turbo?!-mvc-120s.jpg  
Old 10-19-01, 08:15 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Ahh yes....boost....
Attached Thumbnails Could it be.....Turbo?!-mvc-122s.jpg  
Old 10-20-01, 12:08 AM
relapse
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck! let us know how it goes
Old 10-20-01, 04:10 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good! What does Toyomoto state as far as HP gain? What will you be putting down to the rear wheel? How much did that kit cost?

Hey, your SC is really coming along...remember when it was bone stock?!
Old 10-20-01, 06:02 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

glad to see you made it back up......looks awsome<manifold...turbo...downpipe....and wastegate...> are you happy with the quality?....he should be close to 400rwhp if he has the extra fuel injectors and stock compression....like 10psi on pump gas....this is i think just like sc300t's kit..and he went 12.70s on strreet tires...Jeff
Old 10-20-01, 12:29 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Ya....I remember when it was stock.....whew. That was only 6 months ago too....damn. No WONDER I feel poor now....

Manaray.....I have no answers to any of your other questions. I'll tell ya after I dyno it. As far as cost....you'll hafta talk to Lance about that. If you'll go with a used intercooler and things like that, you can save a buttload.

Jeff....quality is awesome, especially the manifold! It was a ***** getting the metal shavings outta the intercooler piping tho....glad that I had a sandblaster! I was there while he was finishing building the thing, so I told him to not worry about things such as cleaning the pipes and painting them....I could do that stuff.

And one more thing, HOW IN THE HELL do you get the oilpan off?!?!?! I've gotten all the bolts off, but I'll be DAMNED if it'll move off the block. It's like theres a ton of superglue or something on it. Ugh. And I can't get ahold of Lance since it's the weekend.

Note to anyone planning to do this yourself. "Don't"

Pay Lance to do it...LOL

SR
Old 10-20-01, 01:09 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

dope man! good luck
hey are you still selling your dry nos kit? if you are drop me a line @ the_ez_rhino@hotmail.com or post reply

Jason
Old 10-20-01, 02:16 PM
hwallen172
Driver

Forgive my ignorance, but will an aftermarket turbo still pass emissions inspection? I wouldn't mind getting one, but I've got to pass inspection in Atlanta.
Old 10-20-01, 03:27 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

the oil pan is help on by FIPIG...its a sealer thats used by toyota and works very well ....i had to hammer a wide screw driver around the entire pan and pry it loose...the use a hammer to straighten out the lip of the pan after i was done...then you use FIPIg to reseal it.....you can buy it at toyota......Jeff
Old 10-20-01, 03:35 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Wiz... Having problems?

Had no oil pan problems on mine... Did you try to use a blade to release the gasket? You're supposed to get Toyota or Lexus FIPG to re-do the gasket after you're finished, so don't worry about butchering the gasket.

On the emmission inspections... per Lance it should marginally pass tailpipe emmissions depending on exhaust work. The Toyomoto manifold/downpip removes some pre-cats, but if the car is running well and the main cat is intact, there should be no problems as long as the main cat is lit (meaning hot enough from long driving). Of course, to get the most turbo power, Many ppl are running NO cats, which won't pass inspection. I've got a beautiful (Thanks Jeff) Toyomoto custom mid pipe that eliminates the cats and provided a noticable improvement in mid and top end power.
Old 10-20-01, 05:03 PM
soarer 300
Lead Lap

Wiz,

According to Larry at SP, there is a (potential) plugged "tap" on the oil pan that you can use for the oil return line.

-c
Old 10-20-01, 05:31 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

told ya it was nice scott when is the next trip to the strip?..Jeff
Old 10-20-01, 06:54 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

lexkid... that's the place that we do use for the oil return....the one the Supra TT uses....it's right above the oilpan on the block. Although, you still have to drill out the plug with a holesaw and tap it so you can screw in a connector. What a PAIN that was!!

SC300T/TURBO...Yep I finally got the pan off...it was just that gasket stuff. I too had to pry the hell outta it, and then straighten the edges of the pan with a hammer

****help****
Now how in the hell do I get all the filings out from in the engine?! I was thinking of running a couple quarts of oil thru it or something. And I'll be DAMNED if I can find the steel circle that the holesaw cut out. It's not in the bit, and I can't seem to find it inside the engine...not good. And what was that the saw hit when it went thru the plug, the crank? lol
****end help****

I'll be running no cats too, as soon as my midpipe gets here from Toyomoto via snail-UPS ground. It'll be nice having 3" pipe the entire way!! Did you know that a Supra midpipe is the same one the SC3 uses?

ez rhino....yes I'll be selling my dry kit. I'll likely put it on eBay, I've seen them selling for nice prices on there. I've had mine for only +/- 3months now....or 6 tanks of nitrous. Plus the tank has some in it now...how much...I have no clue...but last time I decided to sniff some the tank had a ton of pressure

SR

Quick Reply: Could it be.....Turbo?!