Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Apexi S-AFC

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-01, 07:58 PM
peterm1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apexi S-AFC

Can anyone tell me about the Apexi S AFC? easy to install?
Thanks!
Old 10-20-01, 06:25 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Compared to installing a turbo... Simple.
I'd plan on around 4 hours. 1 hour to get to the ECU box and sort out the wiring. 2 hours fumbling with ECU wires that are portrayed upside down, wrong color wires, etc. 1 hour to put everything back in. Straight forward as far as tools. You'll want the US spec SC300 diagram, and have the Lexus Repair Manual handy, even though their wire colors are off of what my car actually has. You'll want a soldering iron, and electrical tape, 10mm socket, philips screw driver. Depending on diagram referenced, the leads are mirror image backwards and up-side-down, so be careful.

The glove box is held on by a few covered screws and prys out and down from the latch point. The lower trim piece pulls straight down and is fastened with pop fasteners. Pry the carpet away and the ECU box is behind a black plastic housing in the passenger footwell. That should be it.
Old 10-20-01, 09:00 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Glove box out to get the ECU out? Nah, that plastic ECU cover is pretty flexible, it'll come out without pulling the glovebox. I'm lazy and hate to reverse-engineer anything that I don't have to...lol

Ya, S-AFC is awesome, and rather easy to install.

SR
Old 10-21-01, 09:06 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Wiz,
Read my post... I never said the glovebox HAD to come out to get to the ECU. I just referred to its removal since many will install the head unit in the glove box or route the wires through it. Also, many like Jeff and I put our goodies (Boost controller, gauges, etc) in the glove box to keep everything stealthy.
Old 10-22-01, 06:17 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone installed one in an SC400?
Old 10-23-01, 09:29 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
"MadMAxSC4" had/has one in his 400... There is another member or two with them in 400's too...
Old 10-27-01, 09:16 AM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Default easy

It really went fairly simply for me. Try not to get to confused and overcomplicate it. Get the US diagram. Have the manual page also (to verify wires etc) and make sure your splices are tight.

No problems.
Old 12-11-02, 09:55 PM
racing fan
Driver

Anyone know where I can find the wiring diagram for the sc300 engine harness on the net? Is it the same as the supra's 2jzge?
Old 12-11-02, 11:01 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by racing fan
Anyone know where I can find the wiring diagram for the sc300 engine harness on the net? Is it the same as the supra's 2jzge?
i'd like to know where to get a copy of the diagram as well...is anyone willing to make a copy?
Old 12-12-02, 10:44 AM
quikturbo
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If no one else has it, give me a couple of days and I'll have something posted up for you.

Remind me if I forget

Chris
Old 12-12-02, 12:17 PM
racing fan
Driver

Thanks alot!!!

Do you know if the sc300 2jzge and the supra 2jzge have the same wiring harness? I have always thought they are the same but some people have suggested that lexus may have added more things to the ecu.
Old 12-13-02, 03:02 AM
healerhand
Lead Lap

I installed one in my TT setup. It doesnt take 4 hours. It takes 40 minutes or less. I am not sure if the SC400 is the same as the LS400 as far as the location of the ECU.

In LS400, you need pull 3 plastic plugs from the bottom of the glove compartment. Right above the foot rest. Just unplug the ECU from the bottom and you have it.

I believe the SC4 uses Karman Computer. If i remember correctly, there only 5-6 wires (power, ground, TPS, MAF in, and MAF out. The most important wire is the wire from the MAF.

You can read all about S-AFC via www.apexi.com and look for the SC4 diagram.

Trust me. Its easy.
Old 12-15-02, 03:52 AM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Just got my S-AFC I've read through all the directions, but they seem contradictory One wiring diagram says it's a pressure system (PH-3), another says it's a Karmann. Can somebody who has installed one (and has it working!) please let me know which is correct and which wire to use? (I've got a handle on the others - power, ground, rpm)

This is for a '96 SC300 5spd

THANKS!!!!

Last edited by wmulli; 12-15-02 at 03:53 AM.
Old 12-16-02, 11:33 AM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Originally posted by wmulli
Just got my S-AFC I've read through all the directions, but they seem contradictory One wiring diagram says it's a pressure system (PH-3), another says it's a Karmann. Can somebody who has installed one (and has it working!) please let me know which is correct and which wire to use? (I've got a handle on the others - power, ground, rpm)

This is for a '96 SC300 5spd

THANKS!!!!
Anyone?? SOMEBODY must know which wires work! I'd like to be sure before I start cutting ECU wires :eek:
Old 12-16-02, 12:07 PM
JKAG
Driver

Default SAFC in '96 SC300

Wmulli

I have a '96 SC300 with a SAFC installed. On my car the manual is wrong. We set it up per the manual and it didn't work, we changed the MAF setting to a new type (Karman or hot wire I can't remember) and it works like a charm.

From my experience trying to get a Swift Racing intake I learned that the '96 (or at least some of them) have a different mass flow sensor. Mine is built into the plastic intake tubing and is not easily interchangeable like the others.

By the way, the OBDII seems to take away some of the HP gains. I didn't have time to play when I was on the dyno last year, but I plan to get on the dyno and experiment with resetting the ecu to see if I can keep the hp gains.

Jon

Quick Reply: Apexi S-AFC