Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jz-ge supercharge question

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-06, 03:13 PM
sxylxy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2jz-ge supercharge question

Now I don't want everyone to bite my head off and say go turbo. Superchargers (IMO) are safer, easier, and WAY less hassel. Granted less power but that's fine as I'm not building a race car. Anyway, is there anyone on CL here that supercharged their sc and is the IS supercharger able to work on the sc? Any input? I searched but didn't find much except for people bashing the idea
Old 10-22-06, 04:58 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sxylxy
Now I don't want everyone to bite my head off and say go turbo. Superchargers (IMO) are safer, easier, and WAY less hassel. Granted less power but that's fine as I'm not building a race car. Anyway, is there anyone on CL here that supercharged their sc and is the IS supercharger able to work on the sc? Any input? I searched but didn't find much except for people bashing the idea
Actually, they aren't safer... but yeah they are easier and less of a hassle.

No, you won't find anyone that supercharged their SC I think... it would cost about the same as a mild turbo setup, make less power, and deliver worse gas mileage.

Yeah people bash the idea for a reason More power to you if thats what you like; but it'd be easier to just run a nitrous kit.
Old 10-22-06, 05:49 PM
Shrummi
Lead Lap

people supercharge the sc400 but not the 300
Old 10-22-06, 06:08 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Check this out...Its mostly for IS300's, but if your crafty you could make it work.
http://www.prolexperformance.com/pro...oduct.asp?id=2

I think this heat shield would do wonders to the 92-97 SC300...Its VVti built, but I'm sure it could be done. Cut here, bend there, get around that distributor.
http://www.prolexperformance.com/pro...oduct.asp?id=3
Old 10-22-06, 06:58 PM
sxylxy
Lead Lap

Thanks for the input. I've turbo'd cars before and it's always an oil leak here, and towing to custom bend pipes there, hack up the bumper to fit an intercooler, etc etc. Supercharger would just be easier and more reliable IMO. I'm a DIY'r so that's important. I'm only lookin for like 75-100 more HP at the wheels and I'm thinkin N/a but that's prob the most expensive way to go slow. So far I'm goin 5 spd conv., header, exhaust, intake, ECU tune (AEM or comprable) but I'm pretty sure that'll maybe yield 35-40 hp at the wheels max. So a supercharger would do wonders for me I think and the fact of no lag for everyday driving.

Last edited by sxylxy; 10-22-06 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-22-06, 07:02 PM
sxylxy
Lead Lap

Oh and nice call on the heat shield, that would go great with the headers/intake system. I don't see why that wouldn't fit on the sc...
Old 10-22-06, 07:42 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

I don't see why that wouldn't fit on the sc...
The Dump Truck sized distributor is in the way
Old 10-23-06, 02:38 AM
sxylxy
Lead Lap

What if I made one? I'm sure I could find some buyers on CL too eh? They use aluminum but I think titanium would be a better heat resistor
Old 10-23-06, 09:10 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

supercharging you car is a big waste of time and money and its not safer ,that is unless you like your car catching on fire
Old 10-23-06, 04:25 PM
sxylxy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexusboy94
supercharging you car is a big waste of time and money and its not safer ,that is unless you like your car catching on fire
? ? What the hell? Why would my car start on fire? Why would it be a big waste of time? If I get more power and I experience no problems with everyday driving than it serves its purpose. Did you ever turbo a car? Are you aware of the headaches you run into with oil lines alone?! Let alone intercoolers, gaskets, engine rebuilds, etc etc?
Old 10-23-06, 06:25 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

? ? What the hell? Why would my car start on fire? Why would it be a big waste of time? If I get more power and I experience no problems with everyday driving than it serves its purpose. Did you ever turbo a car? Are you aware of the headaches you run into with oil lines alone?! Let alone intercoolers, gaskets, engine rebuilds, etc etc?
Since I haven't seen a Paxton or Vortech kit for a pre 97' SC300, your going to have to fab a ton of stuff. SCharger mount, all your pipes are going to be custom, or part of a turbo kit. Your going to want an intercooler, (blowers get hot too.) More air needs more fuel and spark. So you going to have to do all that up. And the belt and pulley are going to be custom also. Unless you can get those IS (VVti) kits to work, but both look like they wont clear the dist-cap...Maybe if you moved pipes around....that might work.

I'd be really interested to see if this would work
Old 10-24-06, 06:24 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

superchargers can never make power like a turbocharger .go ahead and buy a kit and try making it work see how easy it is ...how many people on this forum has supercharged sc .how many have na-t .that will give you your answer.
Old 10-24-06, 02:10 PM
sxylxy
Lead Lap

Ya, I called some places and I found out the IS kit ppl are willing to sell me all the brackets and what not but they said the blower/pully's would be custom. The intercooler would also be custom either way which is one of my biggest fears.And lexus_boy.. how many ppl have original RSP on here with 50k
Old 10-24-06, 02:14 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

RSP ohhh i c .well in that case good luck with the project then .was doing some research myself and it will work .you just need to do minimal custom work
Old 10-24-06, 06:11 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

A guy on supraforums made a supercharger kit for his non-vvti NA supra...and a few others have put superchargers on their NON-VVTI 2JZ-GE distributor based cars.

Quick Reply: 2jz-ge supercharge question