Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GTE head on GE block

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-06, 08:33 AM
spooling
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTE head on GE block

Ok I am new to these cars so please keep that in mind.

I would like to 1.5jz an SC300, as this would take care of the crossover manifold and would allow my to run a coil type ignition. The flaw with this is that I am accustom to AEM EMS and there is not a PnP version for this applicaiton. In doing some research, I have read several places that the ge and gte blocks are identical. Would it be possible to place a 2jZGTE (tt) head on a GE (NA) block , thereby allowing me to use the gte harness and eliminating distributor/ NA manifold and allowing me ot use AEM?

TIA
Old 10-18-06, 08:37 AM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can also use the JDM 2JZ TT wire harness with the 1.5JZ and use the PnP AEM EMS.
Old 10-18-06, 11:15 AM
spooling
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rising_Sun
You can also use the JDM 2JZ TT wire harness with the 1.5JZ and use the PnP AEM EMS.
Really, has anyone done this before?
Old 10-18-06, 11:22 AM
Shrummi
Lead Lap

yea but isn't the 1.5jz a 1jz motor with a 2jz head.
Old 10-18-06, 12:13 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shrummi
yea but isn't the 1.5jz a 1jz motor with a 2jz head.

no, people wanted the 3ltr of displacement and the smoothness of the 1jz HEAD!
Old 10-18-06, 12:39 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spooling
Ok I am new to these cars so please keep that in mind.

I would like to 1.5jz an SC300, as this would take care of the crossover manifold and would allow my to run a coil type ignition. The flaw with this is that I am accustom to AEM EMS and there is not a PnP version for this applicaiton. In doing some research, I have read several places that the ge and gte blocks are identical. Would it be possible to place a 2jZGTE (tt) head on a GE (NA) block , thereby allowing me to use the gte harness and eliminating distributor/ NA manifold and allowing me ot use AEM?

TIA
Your '92 sc300 uses the distributor for cam AND crank position. Putting a GTE head on a GE block will give you a cam trigger off the intake cam but no crank trigger. The TT crank sensor mount is unique to the GTE oil pump; unfortunately, the GE oil pump has no crank sensor mount. Now, you could instrument the crank pulley with a Hall sensor, but then you'd have to use a Universal AEM EMS, or you could buy a Honda EMS (which supports Hall effect) and modify the wiring harness to accomodate the Honda ECU connector.

-scott
Old 10-18-06, 12:49 PM
spooling
Driver School Candidate

So how do you get away with running a 1jz head on a 2jzge block without hte crank angle sensor? when I did a 6bolt swap on my DSM, i used the Cam angle sensor (hall effect style) to simulate the crank angle signal, thereby still being able to use the stock ecu.

What I'm getting at is, I would like to do ditch the distributor in favor of a Coil ignition system and I would like to be able to run a 2jz flavor of AEM. I do not want to buy a USDM 2JZGTE long block. I was thinking of doing a 1jz head with a 2jz bottom (as mentioned on clubna-t.com) and getting a 1jz to 2jzgte harness allowing me to use the TT AEM box.

any suggestions?
Old 10-18-06, 02:02 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

So how do you get away with running a 1jz head on a 2jzge block without hte crank angle sensor? when I did a 6bolt swap on my DSM, i used the Cam angle sensor (hall effect style) to simulate the crank angle signal, thereby still being able to use the stock ecu.

What I'm getting at is, I would like to do ditch the distributor in favor of a Coil ignition system and I would like to be able to run a 2jz flavor of AEM. I do not want to buy a USDM 2JZGTE long block. I was thinking of doing a 1jz head with a 2jz bottom (as mentioned on clubna-t.com) and getting a 1jz to 2jzgte harness allowing me to use the TT AEM box.

any suggestions?
The OEM crank/cam trigger is mag-pickup not hall effect. As you probably know, mag-pickup triggers (analog) are not compatible with hall input drivers (digital) in the ECU. Consequently, you either have to use the TT oil pump and crank sensor and go mag-pickup; or you would have to convert to Hall effect and use the Universal or Honda EMS from AEM.

So the answer to your question is that it isn't possible to run a 1jz head on a 2jz-ge motor without re-instrumenting the motor with crank/cam sensors that are compatible with your ECU.

-scott
Old 10-18-06, 02:37 PM
spooling
Driver School Candidate

http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120 <-- This thread on clubna-t.com talks about using a ge block wiht a 1jz head.

Scott, you've more than answered my question. Looks like i'll be sticking with my original idea of 1jz.
Old 10-18-06, 03:11 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by motorheaddown
Your '92 sc300 uses the distributor for cam AND crank position. Putting a GTE head on a GE block will give you a cam trigger off the intake cam but no crank trigger. The TT crank sensor mount is unique to the GTE oil pump; unfortunately, the GE oil pump has no crank sensor mount. Now, you could instrument the crank pulley with a Hall sensor, but then you'd have to use a Universal AEM EMS, or you could buy a Honda EMS (which supports Hall effect) and modify the wiring harness to accomodate the Honda ECU connector.

-scott
YOu can remove the GTE oil Pump from the 1JZ block and install it on the GE block with the crank angle sensor.
Old 10-18-06, 03:47 PM
spooling
Driver School Candidate

SO the oil pumps are interchangable? In theory you would be able to use a 1jz oil pump (which form what i have read is the same as the 2jzGTE pump) on the 2JZGE block and continue to use the 1JZ head Cam angle sensor?
Old 10-18-06, 04:03 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Just cuirous as to why you don't want to just go with a full GTE swap? Aristo motors are fairly cheap...of course not as cheap as a 1jz.
Old 10-18-06, 04:27 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

SO the oil pumps are interchangable? In theory you would be able to use a 1jz oil pump (which form what i have read is the same as the 2jzGTE pump) on the 2JZGE block and continue to use the 1JZ head Cam angle sensor?
Correct!

Soarer 1JZ motors are considerably cheaper than the Aristo 2JZ. Plus the 1JZ is a simple PnP swap. The GE block is readily available and quite cheap... ~$200