Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc400 Headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-06, 07:50 AM
Tony95sc4
Banned scammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc400 Headers

hey guys a found a website that offer header for the sc for $600 .its called ss headers. has anyone ever heard of them or tried them?
Old 10-11-06, 09:45 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Default he

Yeah I have them on my car and they will not fit unless you have a welding kit and some serous welding experience....They are made and designed for the GS400 but are sold for the SC's too....False advertising is what you are seeing if you ask me...Nice results when installed though.....
Attached Thumbnails Sc400 Headers-hpim0445a.jpg  

Last edited by jibbby; 10-11-06 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-11-06, 10:23 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jibbby
Yeah I have them on my car and they will not fit unless you have a welding kit and some serous welding experience....They are made and designed for the GS400 but are sold for the SC's too....False advertising is what you are seeing if you ask me...Nice results when installed though.....
Jibbby, were is this advertising that you claim to be false?

Tony, do a search and you will find MANY threads devoted to these headers. There is a huge condensed thread sticky in the GS Second Generation Engine and Tranny section. The answeres to most of your questions and more is there. Also do a seach under the SC sections as several people including Jibbby have installed on their cars.

Regarding fitment, this is discussed at length in many threads. You will need to relocate or remove your stock cats. When ordering your headers you will want to also order an extra set of catalyst flanges and o2 sensor bungs. ANY muffler shop or tuner can build simple downpipes from the header outlets to whatever exhaust you wish to use. It is easy to also connect to the stock exhaust if you do not run cats. I am not suggesting that you don't run cats but this is the easiest installation option.
Old 10-11-06, 10:32 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony95sc4
hey guys a found a website that offer header for the sc for $600 .its called ss headers. has anyone ever heard of them or tried them?

Group buy was organized through here over a year ago. A little search here yields many a good result grasshopper.
Old 10-11-06, 11:34 AM
jibbby

JB - The S&S Headers should really be sold only for the GS400 as which they were originally designed and made for and should not be advertised for the LS or SC400's models...THe reason I think the S&S Headers are being falsely advertised for the SC400's is for these reasons...

1) Back end of the S&S Headers (3 bolt flange) patterns do not match to the stock cat down pipes, or even the flange after the cats for that matter even if the headers were made longer..

2) "If" the S&S Header flange bolts did match up to the two little stock cats, the fitment still would not work. The exhaust would sag to low....There is also a lip that protrudes from the stock (3 bolt) flange which will not match and mount up correctly...

3) THe threaded single hole at the base of S&S headers is not the same size and fit which is on which the stock SC400 exhaust manifold headers...Re-threading or plugging is needed.

4) To fit these headers in the SC you basically need to delete the cat downpipes and have 2 new down pipes custom made to fit the header flanges and exhaust system flanges... (2 fully custom made down pipes).. Most muffler shops cannot or are not willing to do this task which is the killer....

5) EGR pipes need relocating which also needs to be considered as the S&S Headers do not accomidate the EGR system what so ever...In turn this creates the engine check light to remain on constantly after the install...

6) In California I will never be able to pass smog checks again with the S&S Headers installed...Not that I really care, but others might...

Other then all that the S&S headers fit in just fine.....Need I say more....Sorry JB, I just don't think the S&S Headers should be sold for the SC400 based of all the modifications that are needed to fit them in...

The S&S Headers will mount to the 1uz-fe (400) motor block just fine, they will fit in the engine bay of the SC just fine too....Everything else is a complete nightmare....Those are the facts and they are undisputed..

Again the performance, design, looks are all outstanding on the S&S Headers. However, fitment especially on the 1992 Sc400 cars is just way off...I have bought atleast a dozen aftermarket headers for different cars throughout the years and never experienced half the fitment problems that I had encountered with these SC400 S&S Headers....

You asked and that is why I think they are being falsly advertised and sold for the Sc400's...

I would also venture to guess those headers that are being re-sold on EBay for those reasons in which I stated above....
Attached Thumbnails Sc400 Headers-hpim0478.jpg  

Last edited by jibbby; 10-11-06 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-11-06, 01:59 PM
Tony95sc4
Banned scammer

Unhappy

Damn dat jus freakin sux then
Old 10-11-06, 05:01 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Lets say theoretically, we take the cat. conv. out of the picture. I would love to see a test car dynoed with stock exhaust, then fitted with the headers to see the h.p. gain , otherwise why go through the blood, sweat, and expense . If the gain was under 18 h.p. I would say lets go with only deleting the cats. or high flow replacement.
Old 10-11-06, 05:51 PM
jibbby

I gained probably around 15whp or so with the headers and deleted two cats combined...I think the deleted cats contributed alot to the mid to high end power gains as well as the S&S Headers......I truely was impressed with the gains after all was said and done...Best exhaust mod by far....
Attached Thumbnails Sc400 Headers-hpim0483.jpg  

Last edited by jibbby; 10-11-06 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-11-06, 06:39 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Those S.S. headers look well made, didnt see any on e-bay, guess i should look under gs instead of sc.
Old 10-11-06, 07:15 PM
jibbby

S&SHeaders.com...You can buy direct like I did...I think I paid $700 about a year ago...
Old 10-12-06, 01:42 AM
Tony95sc4
Banned scammer

i found some www.ektuning.com for a 1000. any expierience with those?

Last edited by Tony95sc4; 10-12-06 at 01:45 AM.
Old 10-12-06, 07:30 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Jibbby,

You did not answer the question. WHERE is the ADVERTISEMENT that says these are a direct bolt on replacement for the SC400s???

Fitting a car and direct factory replacement are 2 completely separate things. MANY headers require a replacement and re-design of the exhaust system. Making downpipes to connect these headers to the stock SC exhaust IF you eliminate the cats is a SIMPLE mod. Any shop that does exhaust work can easily do this. Now, asking a shop to remove catalysts is another thing altogether.

FACT: These headers bolt to the engine and fit in the SC400
FACT: These headers do NOT fit the stock exhaust without modification.
FACT: This situation was known and discussed MANY times in the extensive pre production thread that is still available to read on this forum.
FACT: This situation has be addressed and outlined by more than one SC owner and posted about with pictures before you did your install. You have also done the same although to call the simple construction of exhaust downpipes a "nightmare" is sensationalizing at the very least. Many things in car crafting can be nightmares... installing S&S headers on an SC is not one of those things.

So, to recap, I do NOT see where S&S Headers is claiming that these are direct bolt in replacements for the SC400s. If they were, that would be false. If you know of such a claim by S&S please post a link. Otherwise, your claim of false advertising is FALSE.
Old 10-12-06, 10:05 AM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbrady
Jibbby,

You did not answer the question. WHERE is the ADVERTISEMENT that says these are a direct bolt on replacement for the SC400s???

Fitting a car and direct factory replacement are 2 completely separate things. MANY headers require a replacement and re-design of the exhaust system. Making downpipes to connect these headers to the stock SC exhaust IF you eliminate the cats is a SIMPLE mod. Any shop that does exhaust work can easily do this. Now, asking a shop to remove catalysts is another thing altogether.

FACT: These headers bolt to the engine and fit in the SC400
FACT: These headers do NOT fit the stock exhaust without modification.
FACT: This situation was known and discussed MANY times in the extensive pre production thread that is still available to read on this forum.
FACT: This situation has be addressed and outlined by more than one SC owner and posted about with pictures before you did your install. You have also done the same although to call the simple construction of exhaust downpipes a "nightmare" is sensationalizing at the very least. Many things in car crafting can be nightmares... installing S&S headers on an SC is not one of those things.

So, to recap, I do NOT see where S&S Headers is claiming that these are direct bolt in replacements for the SC400s. If they were, that would be false. If you know of such a claim by S&S please post a link. Otherwise, your claim of false advertising is FALSE.

I dont know why ur goin all **** about this situation. Do u work for S&S or something? Well i remember when they did advertise that the sc400 was an application w/o any info about it didnt say anything about not fitting to the cat's. So please stop flamming jibby.

Last edited by Sly Guy Yu; 10-12-06 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-12-06, 12:40 PM
jibbby

Sly guy - thanks for the back up bud...However, John Brady is the actual designer of these S&S Headers and is well respected in the Lexus community...John knows a great deal about these cars and especially the exhaust systems...I fully respect and admire his vast auto knowlege....

John, again, exhuast mods to fit these Sc400 headers is not disclosed in the Ebay ad......Even if fitment issues were disclosed in the ad I still don't think that's good enough either..(S&S headers for the SC400 is very close to false advertising in my opinion especially when not disclosing all the fitment issues involved))

You forgot to mention these S&S headers do not accomadate the EGR system like aftermarket SC400 headers should..

Exhaust mods are needed to fit in the SC400 S&S Headers is an understatement...There is a fine line between a few slight mods to fit these babies in and creating and fabbing new down pipes, with both the length and flange bolt patterns to mate up correctly with the headers and the rest of the stock Lexus exhaust system....You might as well pay for a header designer and maker to prefab a true bolt of SC400 set like Ektuning Headers has done....It may end up costing a consumer less in the end...I believe my final costs were $1200 after purchase and final install.....

I'm just looking out for the every day consumer that thinks they can buy these S&S headers for there SC4 for around $600-$700 and maybe think they can spend just a few more bucks for some small exhaust modifications that a local muffler shop can do to make them fit.....Not the case....They are fantastic headers but should stay in the direction of the GS models and not the SC models in my opinion...The fitment issues involved are rediculous, frusterating, and problematic.......

Last edited by jibbby; 10-12-06 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-12-06, 05:11 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Sounds to me like the downpipes, egr fittment, would make the ss headers a good deal at around $800.00. And dont forget the o2 sensor bungs.

Quick Reply: Sc400 Headers