Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

5spd swap question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-06, 09:30 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5spd swap question

Hey, I'm very interested in doing a 1jz swap into a 92 SC300, but the majority of sc's I have around here are auto.

The place where I can get the engine would sell the engine, tranny, clutch, and flywheel. What else would I need? I imagine it would be the clutch master and slave cylinders, clutch lines, clutch pedal, and shifter. Could I just get these from a supra? Also do i have to drill holes for the master cylinder in the firewall?

Sorry for the noobness, but I don't know much about the interchangeability of parts, and have been researching this for awhile.

I'll be doing all the work myself, and i've done a few 5spd and engine swaps before (Maxima, Maxda MX-6, 1st gen DSM).

This would be my first RWD, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Freddy
Old 10-09-06, 09:41 AM
bens sc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

welcome freddy !!

if you search you will find TONS of usefull info to help you in question answering. good luck !
Old 10-13-06, 03:23 PM
philauldridge
Driver

You'd be much better off obtaining the parts you mentionedfrom a similar SC300, not a supra, to insure that they attach properly. You'll probably want to get the complete clutch/brake pedal tower assembly.
Old 10-15-06, 06:37 AM
SC_DRIFTER
Pole Position

The pedal assembly from a supra won't work.

I would also look into what driveshaft you will be using. And if you want your gear ratio/speedometer to work properly you might want to change differentials while you are at it.
Old 10-15-06, 11:22 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC_DRIFTER
The pedal assembly from a supra won't work.

I would also look into what driveshaft you will be using. And if you want your gear ratio/speedometer to work properly you might want to change differentials while you are at it.
I'll be using the R154 5spd tranny from the 1jz. Will I have to make a custom driveshaft? I will most likely be getting an LSD, but not putting it in right away. Will the stock open diff work?
Old 10-15-06, 11:33 AM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

well i got a clutch master and slave for you for 36 bucks shipped to your door off of a 5 speed swap i bought. i had already purchase them new b4 i got the swap so i didnt need let me know. your queston is yes you need to drill 3 holes 2 small and 1 3/4 inch. if u pull out the little insert down ther it looks like a rounded diamond you can see there is already a templete for you. make sure u get the tranny mount with the tranny then u gotta wire the reverse light and the speedo harness just plugs in. oh yea you forgot the drive shaft they are diffrent since your not use to rear wheel drive. u gotta get the front part of a 1991 toyota supra turbo drive shaft and your rear of your sc300 drive shaft the differential i would recomend a kaaz 2 way lsd the item number is DAT3020 you can get a deal on ebay from drift factory best bang for buck and high quality and bolts right in to your stock pumpkin
Old 10-15-06, 11:39 AM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by tavarish
I'll be using the R154 5spd tranny from the 1jz. Will I have to make a custom driveshaft?

no u use the front half of a 7mgte. and use ur stock carrier bearing and rear section of driveshaft.
Old 10-16-06, 01:32 AM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

o yeah i found my 5 speed in NJ it took me one week of searching.