Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anyone using an electric fan?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-06, 07:01 AM
jdmjzz30
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using an electric fan?

Is anyone running an electric fan set up with their Koyo radiator? What brand do you recommend and how did you wire it up (via switch or tapped into your wire harness)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-02-06, 09:07 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

I am using the flex-a-lite dual electric fans on my SC4, and they have been working fantastic for what is going on now for over a year......
Attached Thumbnails Anyone using an electric fan?-hpim0427.jpg  
Old 10-02-06, 09:28 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I do not recommed electric fans for a turbo charged car. They're just not powerful enough to pull heat off the radiator especially if you have an aftermarket radiator.

-scott
Old 10-02-06, 02:22 PM
jibbby

Mine cool just as good as stock from what I see...I have two turbo'd friends that are also using dual electric fans with no problems what so ever...Stock is stronger but dual electric's can crank too...

As long as the shroud is tight air will pull threw just fine....I run nitrous, with the A/C on and on 100 degree day and the temp needle doesn't move, sitting in traffic with the A/C on with the same hot weather the temp needle does not move...I think they cool just fine in my opinion...
Old 10-02-06, 06:42 PM
turbo6
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run two electric 14" fans: one push, one pull. They work just fine, no overheating. My standalone controls them, one on at 80c and the other at 90c. I wouldn't suggest on a manual switch, because you'll either forget to turn them on, or if you put it on igntion switch then they'll run more than necessary.
Old 10-03-06, 06:37 AM
jdmjzz30
Lead Lap

Good point turbo6. Thanks for your input everyone.
Old 10-03-06, 12:13 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Trying road racing with the OEM radiator and electric fans even without a turbo. You'll be reaching for the heater switch to dump heat off the cooling system while on the course. I should know it's happened to me. Additionally, more and more Supra owners are going back to the OEM fan because it is much more efficient at pulling heat out of the cooling system. Granted, this is extreme use, but it is worth mentioning - ergo my first post.

-scott
Old 10-03-06, 12:16 PM
jibbby

For simplicity and reliability just power up the fans with the cars ingnition source and relay the power source and negative feeds directly to the battery...The car turns on and the fans turn on, the car turns off the fans turn off....That will never fail and it just takes a little longer in the mornings to warm up the engine and that is it......Might be more relialbe then the stock fan system...

I had a temp read thermostick and control box fail from enging heat, then had a Selco heat sensor fail and I said enough, I am going with a direct feed and a cut switch wired directly to the battery....I never touch the turn off cut switch unless I am racing...I am very pleased with the setup and I forsee no problems with the cooling system for many years to come....Maybe even the life of the car...End of story...

After market heat and control box sensors can give you trouble with electric fans....Running off the ECU stand alone would work great too....
Old 10-03-06, 12:23 PM
bens sc
Lead Lap

im running dual 13" electric fans on the stock radiator, na-t and have had NO problems or fluctuation in engine temps at all. even on hot as hell days here in calif with the air on and driving like crazy sometimes, all has been great with my setup. do a search on my name and you will see the pics of the setup. im upgrading to a koyo racing unit and forsee no problems.
Old 10-05-06, 10:31 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

I second motorheaddown's opinion, the oem fan is always going to have the advantage over electric fans when it comes to serious driving. You wind out the engine, the oem fan spins faster with it. You do that with an electric fan setup for awhile and you're in for a real treat......I used to be all for electric until I saw many pro drivers passing on electric fans.
Old 10-06-06, 12:24 AM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Don't the mechanical fans cause parasitic drag on the engine
Old 10-06-06, 02:10 AM
Boostshakalaka
Lead Lap

just rock the koyo with the greddy cap and a sard thermostat
Old 10-06-06, 09:04 AM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 0l33l
Don't the mechanical fans cause parasitic drag on the engine
yes, but a small amount of parasitic drag is better than overheating
Old 10-06-06, 03:16 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by motorheaddown
I do not recommed electric fans for a turbo charged car. They're just not powerful enough to pull heat off the radiator especially if you have an aftermarket radiator.

-scott

I use the Twin Flex-A-Lites on my Twin Turbo V8 SC400, and I am having no problems since the fuse was changed from a 20 amp to a 30 amp...No overheating ever, even in 90 degree plus temps in Central Florida, and stop-n-go traffic.

Ryan
Old 10-07-06, 02:02 PM
jibbby

Who's overheating? Unless your radiator is old and clogged there is no way your car should over heat using dual electic fans....

There is more drag with the hydro pump fans, there is more drag with the clutch fans...The electric fans run off the alternator which is a very minimul drag in comparison....

Quick Reply: Anyone using an electric fan?