Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc300 motor mount replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-06, 01:25 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default sc300 motor mount replacement

This probably applies to the sc400, too, but the v8 could pose access problems that I'm not familiar with.

Oh... also shoot me ahead of time for not taking pictures inspite of having a camera phone. (Yes, I'm an idiot sometimes!)

The basic premise is to jack the motor up and drop the suspension subframe. That's what we did, and it works like a champ.

First, get the car up on jack stands and loosen the fan shroud. You'll need some play in the fan shroud when jacking the motor up from below. Next, remove the upper and lower motor mount bolts on both sides. Don't worry the motor is just resting on the mounts; it won't go anywhere. Get a block of wood that provides good coverage of the #2 oil pan (the bottom one) and jack the motor up a couple of inches using a floor jack.

Now that the motor is elevated, loosen the bolts that hold the front sub-frame. I remember there being two brackets that attach it to the chassis plus 2 or 4 stout bolts that secure the frame in place. Once the subframe is unbolted, it will be suspended by the shocks and should fall an inch or two. Don't worry about the alignment because the upper and lower control arms are all attached to the subframe. Consquently, your alignment should be just as it was when you bolt up the subframe.

Now, pull on the subframe down until the mounts are clear of the frame and motor mount brackets. Once the motor mounts are out, install the new motor mounts and put everything back in reverse order. It's that easy!

Oh... I used "short" Supra motor mounts that are encased in a metal cover. They're direct replacements for the sc300 mounts. I'll get the part numbers from the receipt.

Total job took about two hours. Again, sorry for not taking some pics, but I think you get the idea.

-scott

Last edited by motorheaddown; 09-03-06 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-03-06, 03:53 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok... for completeness, the Supra replacement motor mount for the sc300 is 12360-46111. List price is $74.59; I got them for $51.57 ea. My guess is that the sc300 mounts are significantly more expensive.

BTW, there's a black metal "tab" that goes with the sc300 mount. You can throw it away. The Supra mounts take the spacing of the "tab" into account.

-scott
Old 04-06-09, 05:02 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by motorheaddown
Ok... for completeness, the Supra replacement motor mount for the sc300 is 12360-46111. List price is $74.59; I got them for $51.57 ea. My guess is that the sc300 mounts are significantly more expensive.

BTW, there's a black metal "tab" that goes with the sc300 mount. You can throw it away. The Supra mounts take the spacing of the "tab" into account.

-scott
Thank you for sharing this helpful information with the community Scott
Old 04-06-09, 05:32 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy crap this thing was brought back from the dead, but it great info none the less..........hell it even sparked a question I had that I forgot about lol.

Do you happen to have a picture of the mounts?
Old 07-29-09, 07:59 PM
That-Guy
Pole Position

i don't mean to bring this thread back from the dead "again," but i kinda have to, i was wondering if this applies to 92 sc300's or if there was any change in motor mounts between different years? Also did you notice a change in ride after the switch or was this just extra reassurance since you've got some massive torque wrenching that motor around in there.
Old 07-29-09, 08:06 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

you guy smay also want to check this out if you guys are just doing stock replacements...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...nt-sc300s.html

also you dont need to lower down the subframe. just jack up the car, get another jack with a wood under for greater surface area/flat surface and jack up the oil pan of teh engine after lossening the top/bottom nuts of the original mounts.

jack it up enough to release the studs and replace the mounts. lower the engine down cautiously and into place. tighten everything up. lower the car back down. check to make sure you got all your tools out of the engine bay 30-45 minute job.

and some mod please move this to the correct performance/ maintance section

Last edited by rwdanthony; 07-29-09 at 08:12 PM.