Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

MA70 1J into SC

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-06, 01:12 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MA70 1J into SC

So I posted the engine I recently won in Japan in the general forum. Now it's time to get to the details. My car is a 93 300 manual. Unfortunately for me, the engine I won came out of a MA70 Supra so that leaves me with a few questions...

1.) Oil pan....from my searching, I need a different oil pan. Is the one on my stock 2J compatible? Any reccomendations?

2.) ECU...comes with an HKS F-CON V, any issues with swapping this into my car?

3.) IC piping...as you can see, it came with everything...but it's intended for a MA70 Supra. Anyone know how different it will be? I guess worst comes to worst, I can pick up a soarer IC setup in Japan and sell this setup to a supra owner but I'de be happy if it fit as is or with minor cutting and welding.

4.) AC...my original goal in HP was 400....this thing is rated at 550...I don't mind a little extra weight and power loss from an AC compressor...especially on a hot so cal day. Will my stock setup bolt on?

5.) I think I read the MA70's use a different engine fan setup....any suggestions here?

6.) Anything I missed? Any other advice?
Old 09-02-06, 11:04 PM
lpolo69
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u need a soarer harnress soarer i have a supra engine in mine too...also mounting it is a *****..u will have to get mkiv short mounts, use youe ge oil pan, use your ge or soarer trans..

Last edited by lpolo69; 09-02-06 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-03-06, 02:03 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lpolo69
u need a soarer harnress soarer i have a supra engine in mine too...also mounting it is a *****..u will have to get mkiv short mounts, use youe ge oil pan, use your ge or soarer trans..
Is the harness really neccesary? If so is it possible to use a USDM JZA80 harness with some mods instead?
Old 09-03-06, 02:03 PM
Durrr
Lead Lap

the F-Con won't be an issue, but you will need a 1j soarer harness and re-wire the f-con into it... did it come with the MA70 transmission? if so, theres a bracket that changes the shifter location, and I read about it on here. You would definately need to get that bracket if you wished to use the R154 (which I would highly recommend).
Old 09-03-06, 06:37 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

3) The piping doesn't look like it will fit That's just from the angle shown though.

4) AC should still fit.
Old 09-03-06, 11:43 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Durrr
the F-Con won't be an issue, but you will need a 1j soarer harness and re-wire the f-con into it... did it come with the MA70 transmission? if so, theres a bracket that changes the shifter location, and I read about it on here. You would definately need to get that bracket if you wished to use the R154 (which I would highly recommend).
Hmmm, so I should start looking for a Soarer harness....

The guy is offering me the transmission but with all the issues involved in making it work, I'd rather pick up a JZZ30 R154. (though he's also offering me an ORC twin disc so I might take him up on that if he doesn't ask too much)
Old 09-03-06, 11:49 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BLK13X
3) The piping doesn't look like it will fit That's just from the angle shown though.

4) AC should still fit.
Any ideas on what to do about the engine fan? I used to hate the clutch driven fans until I saw that many high HP pro cars swear by them. Do you think the one off my 2J will work? If so, I'm guessing I need a JZZ30 belt as well?

Do you think it would be a good idea for me to buy a JZZ30 1J to swap the harness and whatnot from and then sell it to the supra guys? It seems that with all the lil misc thing, it might be the cheap and easy way to go....
Old 09-04-06, 01:29 PM
JTJerryls400
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

no you do not need soarer harness. there are 3 maybe 4 wires that must have 12 volt to ecu work. you can give it directly to harness not via body harbess. there are few wires go to cluster. you can easy find with wire goes where. they will show you temp, oil level warning, malfunction light ect ect. you must have 1jz ma70 ecu pin outs.
do not mess with soarer harness. I have soarer harness in my sc400 and at the end I was so angry it wont start so we give good 12 volts for ecu harness where it could be (most thick black wires with orange strip) and it start atonce. use your brian, your harness and ecu pinouts. it is simplke and almost primitive device. nothing fancy or something. ah and remember lexus community is strange people. they do not want help much: simply thet are interested with new trunk mats or do not know nothing about their cars or want earn big money (buahahhahahaha) for something you can free download from internet. so beware,

but must be honest: there are few good man in that community. so they should help you.
good luck
Old 09-12-06, 09:11 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

you can convert the water pump so you can run a electric fan jus use the us or jdm water pump
Old 10-01-06, 09:36 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Default Update*****

So I'm back from Japan now and I really need to get this thing in high gear as the engine will be here in a week or so....

I picked up the Soarer R154

lol, anyone need a RHD console?

I'm working on the MKIII driveshaft so I can piece together a usable driveshaft. I also picked up that ORC Twin plate I was talking about, supposedly good to 700+hp so it should be fine with what I've got here...

Now back to the engine, what are the reccomended engine mounts? I've seen people say the Supra mounts are shorter, some say they are taller....what do you guys reccomend? Actually, if I EMS them, TRD in Japan has an engine mount set for under $300 (same part #'s for Soarer and Supra)...what is a roo to do?

and just for kicks...wtf? TRD push button start?

Old 10-02-06, 12:46 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Where can i find that trd engine start?
Old 10-02-06, 03:52 PM
konspec
Driver

looks like a sweet setup... I'm also curious about the engine mounts because I'll be ordering an engine set soon and was thinking about just getting a jz70 1j since it comes with the tranny I want. keep it posted
Old 10-02-06, 03:53 PM
konspec
Driver

correction MA70.. I'm use to Nissan codes
Old 10-02-06, 05:01 PM
WebStarr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by konspec
correction MA70.. I'm use to Nissan codes
I think you were closer the first time. I think a MKIII Supra with 1jz is called JZA70 and the 7mgte are called MA70. In the U.S. we only got the 7M Supra so all of ours are MA70. With Toyota chassis codes it's engine family then body style. For example SC300/Soarer 3.0GT are JZZ31, 1jz Soarer are JZZ30, and SC400/Soarer 4.0GT are UZZ30 or UZZ32(I think) if they are air suspension.
Old 10-02-06, 09:19 PM
eskinol
Lead Lap

That tranny looks like its brand new!

-esk

Quick Reply: MA70 1J into SC