Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Dead SC400, smoke from near valve covers and distributors

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-06, 01:16 AM
AaronE
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead SC400, smoke from near valve covers and distributors

Hey folks, I'm stranded at work again with a dead car. When I left work, I started to smell something that reminded me of burning electronics (like silicon or insulation). I stopped at a gas station about a quarter mile away and opened up the hood. There was considerable gray smoke coming from the valve cover area and perhaps the distributors too.

Figuring it perhaps was just out of coolant (I've had lots of coolant issues), I topped it off with water, started back up and went on my way. About another quarter mile later, I lose engine power (seemingly smoothly) and am forced to coast into a parking lot and pull to a stop. More smoke from the same areas, and the distributor covers are hot, yet the block is only warm.

Trying to restart the car only seems to spin the engine freely, not even the slightest hint of ignition. Gut feeling says the timing belt cooked and broke. That said, I have no real idea why I think that; I'm usually wrong.

I'll be able to look more at it tomorrow when there's light, but by that description, does anybody have guesses? You should be able to see the t-belt without removing any covers, right? I'll be able to do more in the daylight when I can actually see in the engine, but hopefully some of you early birds (or really late owls) have some suggestions that I can go visit my car with...

Thanks all,
-Aaron

PS. the past couple days it's been making a little bit of a knocking sound at idle and mild throttle (and perhaps all the time, but hard to hear over high RPMs?). I don't know if it's related (probably) but just more info.

Last edited by AaronE; 08-31-06 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-02-06, 03:54 PM
AaronE
Pole Position

hmm, usually you guys are so helpful! It's okay, my feelings aren't hurt or anything. Just kiddin'. So yeah, Lexus pretty much concurred with my assessment over the phone (seized water pump, rubbing timing belt, then smoking timing belt, then snapped timing belt). I had it towed over to my work's parking lot where it will await someone to work on it for cheap (as a side project or something).

In the meantime, this morning I bought a black on black '97 SC400...
Attached Thumbnails Dead SC400, smoke from near valve covers and distributors-outwiththeoldinwiththenew.jpg  
Old 09-02-06, 10:49 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear what happened, but i think the upgrade is nice
Old 09-02-06, 11:18 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AaronE
hmm, usually you guys are so helpful! It's okay, my feelings aren't hurt or anything. Just kiddin'. So yeah, Lexus pretty much concurred with my assessment over the phone (seized water pump, rubbing timing belt, then smoking timing belt, then snapped timing belt). I had it towed over to my work's parking lot where it will await someone to work on it for cheap (as a side project or something).

In the meantime, this morning I bought a black on black '97 SC400...
Im getting a little teary eyed seeing my old bumper in this pic....
Sorry to hear that Aaron......But that bright side is sure sweet.
P.S. I sent you a PM.