Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

getting an sc400, but want to TT

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-06, 10:11 PM
dandan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow getting an sc400, but want to TT

I am stationed in Afghanistan, with the Army, And I am trying to buy another sc400 in Ohio near Youngstown. I own one which was recked by me mom a little while back. I have plans for adding a tt system on it, any and all tipsand tricks for this would help. Thanks
Old 08-27-06, 10:54 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Save yourself some head aches and start with the SC300.
Old 08-28-06, 01:12 AM
dandan
Driver School Candidate

mo thank you. I love the v8
Old 09-05-06, 03:42 AM
dandan
Driver School Candidate

i'm willing to put the cash into it as well as blood, sweat, and tears. I just need a new ride to start with.
Old 09-06-06, 07:18 AM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try searching for 1JZ info....Its the easy TT Swap for the SC300/400
Old 09-07-06, 02:22 AM
dandan
Driver School Candidate

this is true but it is not the point. an tt 4.0l v8 is
Old 09-07-06, 05:47 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Question

Dandan,
folks are recommending you the SC300 to start with because you can attain a turbo SC for MUCH less expense and still have a "v8 like powerband"..and when tuned properly, even better than V8 power. What are your goals for the car? (daily driver? drag racing car? road racing track car?, etc) Telling us this will help us advise you better .
Old 09-07-06, 06:56 PM
andrew_A_3
Driver

no offense to dandan or ne one else hoping to TT their 400, but come on ppl think realistically. TT a 400 is a lot of money, so unless your willing to spend 7-9k on parts w/o labor i wouldnt even consider this. you also have to realize that if you do want to do TT that a lot of things will have to be done customly which will take time. so u nless you have the money,didication, and time i wouldnt consider this project, i would just go with the 1j.
Old 09-07-06, 11:06 PM
dandan
Driver School Candidate

I love the 1uzfe, and am planning on putting 20k into it.As for plans for the car, a fast street legal racer that is practial enough to still be a daily driver. I have grown up street racing and I have never seen a hot rodded sc400 with the 1uz. Well that and someone told me that it can't be done, thus I want to do it.
Old 09-08-06, 01:28 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

my recommendation to you dandan if you don't won't to have a car that will be down for several months if not a year, is use a Supercharger for the 1UZ and enjoy that..folks in gs400's are making 400+rwhp this way.
Old 09-08-06, 09:35 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dandan
I love the 1uzfe, and am planning on putting 20k into it....I have grown up street racing and I have never seen a hot rodded sc400 with the 1uz. Well that and someone told me that it can't be done, thus I want to do it.
No one here is trying to rain on your parade. Also, I want to express my gratitude and appreciation for your service in Afghanistan to help make this country a safer place for us all. You're a braver person than me.

Your modded SC4 will likely turn out nice and be much faster than a regular 1uz. However, when you're done spending your twenty thousand plus dollars, god help you if you pull up along an SC300 n/a to single or 2jz-gte with $12-15k in engine mods.

Many of these SC300 with mods are truly 500hp+ V8 super car killers, its just the way it is. You can buy a turbo kit from Sound Performance or Powerhouse Racing for ~$4500 that is capable of 700 to 950+ hp. You'll need at least another $10k in supporting mods. However, those are numbers that are unlikely in realm of a 1ug no matter what you do to it, no offense to the 1ug, a great engine.

A stunning 10.6 sec 1/4 mile in an SC300 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unsd_-iuVvQ

An insane, fire belching, backfiring SC300 running a 9.47 1/4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGG00btQvFg

I'd bet they spend more than $20 on those monsters

Last edited by SCoupe; 09-09-06 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-30-06, 05:19 AM
dandan
Driver School Candidate

where is the best place to order parts?
Old 09-30-06, 10:33 AM
kietlander
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

i understand what ur talking about dandan. the rumble, feel, and sound u get from the 1uz is pure sex. if anyone makes a cheap single turbo kit for the v8 i would sell my car in a heartbeat for a sc4. but the price u pay for a turbo v8 is 2-3 times more then it would cost for a sc3 with the same power. BUT u said u had 20k to drop into the project is more then enough to have a tt v8 with v160. GO for it man. if ur willing to do the work urself. i dont see y its not possible.
Old 09-30-06, 11:51 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

It is true that the 2JZ-GTE, GE, 1JZ series of inline 6 cylinder engines have been developed and supported to produce truely staggering outputs.

The 1UZ-FE, 2UZ, 3UZ have seen very minimal aftermarket development and support. There have been a couple of very powerful (1500hp) engines and at least one claiming more but these were one off full efforts by engineering teams.

IMHO the question comes down to street cars and by nature their use on the street. With at least an extra liter of displacement the xUZ engines have more off boost displacement to spool ANY given turbo combination be it single or twin. This 33% advantage means that you can engineer an engine that will have a stronger overall power range than a smaller engine and make whatever given power with less per component stress.

The MONSTER 2JZ cars have giant turbos and make peak torque and power high in the RPM band. Driven correctly these cars are stunningly fast. However for day to day enjoyment on the street they are lacking in response and power in virtually all off boost driving situations. Take a medium output 2JZ of say 500hp and compare it to a properly engineered (emphasis on properly) xUZ 500hp turbo engine and the larger engine will be flat out more fun to drive.

Now, again IMHO, for a huge street power application I would have to look towards a different engine series than either here. Some may scoff or cry foul but hard to argue with the compactness and massive output potential of the LSx series engines from GM. A 7 liter engine with twin turbos can top 800hp with as little as 10psi boost.

Size wise here is a comparison picture between the 4 liter DOHC 1UZ and your basic 6 liter small block chevy (of which the LSx is about the same dimensions).

Old 09-30-06, 10:44 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dunno wut u guys are putting down dan dan so much. When we look at ryan's (sc400tt) tt sc400, we are all like "DAYUM THAT"S NUTS!!!!" i know i sure am. I think TT the UZ will be the next big thing. Everyone has their 1jz, 2jz, na-t. A tt400 is just awesome, unique, but it is not developed as much as the 6bangers. Trying out new things, talking about these things is one reason why we are on these forums. Sure it may not be cost effective in terms of hp/$ But it sure is worth the COOLNESS factor. I say if u got the time and money for this swap, more power to you, and with that car, u can represent Lexus, and show all the american cars that japanese automakers can make be just as good, or better.

GL
-Stephen

Quick Reply: getting an sc400, but want to TT