Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

98+ sc3 ebay intake review

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-06, 02:56 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98+ sc3 ebay intake review

i had some cash laying around in my paypl acct so i picked up an ebay short ram intake for a 98 gs300 hoping it'd fit. I did it mostly for laughs and to see what could fit on the vvti engines as there aren't many intakes available for the sc3 or the gs3 aside from the SRT which costs a little more then others would spend. US 98+ owners have to rely on parts swapping from GS parts and IS ideas for power.

This was truly a case of too much time and money on my hands

in all of it's glory.

i had to hack my old z pipe (the black extender pipe near the filter) to make it fit, otherwise it came up too short. The included hoses were too big to fit with the stock intake inlets so i had to rig it to work. i'm sure i could have gone down to autozone and got the appropiate hoses but this wasn't a permanent mod so i didn't really mind. there was nowhere to anchor it so it kinda just laid on the shock tower. the maf sensor stock bolts wont fit so i had to use a set of screws that worked (i was surprised it would). For the money, the actual pipe is good but where the maf sensor goes could have used some better attention, other then that its a pipe and there isn't much to it.

But cannonbear, what about performance?

Umm, there wasn't any. Aside from a nice sounding snarl at WOT and a whistling as i drove i couldn't tell any noticiable gain in hp. Also i think this was the worst two days for gas useage. i could literally see the gas gauge decreasing as i drove normally. i started off at the quarter mark near the full and ended it at the halfway point in two days with no extra driving other then usual stops. My trip computer says i was making 16 mpg when i usually got 23 around town. im sure with some tuning it would have been better with gas and power but again, this wasnt a permanent mod and i was interested to see what it did straight out of the box.

At the end of day two i took off the intake and decided that while it was fun to toot around town hearing the snarl, it couldn't jusitfy poor gas mileage and no increase in gain to keep going for the planned week testing.

i think i should have kept that turbo kit i pieced together
Old 08-08-06, 03:11 PM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I once tried the same intake on my 99 GS (This was long before I found out about CL). It actually gave me a power loss rather than gain. As I've mentioned earlier in another thread here I raced some much older model Nissan Sentra stick shift with some mods (or at least very loud sounded one with SE-R letters on the back) and I lost on about half a mile distance almost a car length. Those cheap intakes are worthless.
Old 08-08-06, 03:17 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

yep, its hard finding parts for the vvti engine for us sc's. gotta keep lookin!
Old 08-08-06, 03:22 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,256 Likes on 997 Posts

One thing you missed was that it would have taken the ECU a little time to relearn the new intake Values. I'm not saying it would have increased but... you should have reset the ECU and then did 3 hard starting 0-60 runs.
Old 08-08-06, 08:33 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

i did reset the ecu and for the first couple of miles ran it somewhat aggressively. i was amaed at how much it drank fuel haha
Old 08-10-06, 11:52 AM
Dramon
Driver

A simple intake shouldn't have kicked the crap out of your mileage that bad. Sounds like something else was wrong.
Old 08-10-06, 12:14 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Your engine bay has a lot of space there. Where is the charcoal canister?