Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What's the best way to quiet down my exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-06, 06:50 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
Question What's the best way to quiet down my exhaust

I'm currently running 3" from stock twins to mufflers which are straight through. I installed two resonators from summit but they didn't help much. I'm thinking of doing a magnaflow around the heatshield area. Just wanted to hear some input. My car sounds great but it's too loud for neighborhoods or those early morning starts.
Old 08-02-06, 08:27 AM
JoshFSM
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once you ditch the cats, those straight through magnaflow type mufflers can be quite loud. id advise putting at least a cat on it, or putting a muffler with multiple chambers in it to supress the sound.

-j.
Old 08-02-06, 08:29 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

oh ok I'm thinking about a straight through cat or a chambered muffler. Once I get it up on the lift I'll take some measurements. Thanks Josh. When are you throwing a meet up there@FSM.
Old 08-02-06, 08:45 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

How about putting in one of those setups that allows you to switch from wide open pipes to full exhaust? Control it from a switch inside the car.

In boats I think the brand is called "Captain's Choice" or something similar. I know this may not be a cost effective solution, but it would be cool
Old 08-02-06, 08:54 AM
JoshFSM
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
How about putting in one of those setups that allows you to switch from wide open pipes to full exhaust? Control it from a switch inside the car.

In boats I think the brand is called "Captain's Choice" or something similar. I know this may not be a cost effective solution, but it would be cool
For cars, they are typically referred to as "e-cutout".

Originally Posted by cherplex
oh ok I'm thinking about a straight through cat or a chambered muffler. Once I get it up on the lift I'll take some measurements. Thanks Josh. When are you throwing a meet up there@FSM.

Im gonna have a little get together in spetember, when it cools off a bit. We have quite a few nice cars in the tri state area, and the shop is private property Something tells me our cars will be looking tough next to each other.
Old 08-02-06, 08:58 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Use high flowing sets of stainless steel resonators....Ebay sells them new for cheap...Each pair you install should reduce the noise in half and not affect performance hardly at all........
Old 08-02-06, 09:11 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

JoshFSM: I'll definately will be there cool weather is very nice for boost

Jibby: Can you tell me which ones specifically. I put 2 resonators in I got from Summit they barely helped. I'm thinking a straight through cat or chambered muffler like Josh mentioned just not sure where to mount it.

Dave: I thought cut outs were only good for those with stock systems since when its closed it's stock and open it's straight out. Mine sounds open as it is

Last edited by plex; 08-02-06 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-02-06, 09:48 AM
JoshFSM
Pole Position

Plex- Depending on how far back your "y" is, id mount something restrictive right before it. Yes, I said restrictive! Who cares if it loses 20whp, as long as you get the sound you are after.

Josh
(whos rockin 4in from the turbo to the bumper )
Old 08-02-06, 12:40 PM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

not trying to change subject, but JosmFSM, if those pics in your signature are recent(of the sc) i think you passenger headlight needs popped in, the plug towards the IC just seems like it's not lined up.
Old 08-02-06, 05:55 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cher: I'm running a 3" straight through all the way also. I even installed a sport cat from magnaflow and the car is still ridiculously loud. I know that there are mufflers out there that can reduce the amount of noise and look near stock. I forget which brand they were.
Old 08-02-06, 07:54 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Originally Posted by cherplex
JoshFSM: I'll definately will be there cool weather is very nice for boost

Jibby: Can you tell me which ones specifically. I put 2 resonators in I got from Summit they barely helped. I'm thinking a straight through cat or chambered muffler like Josh mentioned just not sure where to mount it.

Dave: I thought cut outs were only good for those with stock systems since when its closed it's stock and open it's straight out. Mine sounds open as it is
Cherplex, I am glad to see we are getting along....Anyway, as you know I have headers and straight thru mufflers on my SC... All I have too quiet things down is two stainless steel high flowing resonators. They are about 1 foot in length and round...You can see right thru them, just like my straight thru mufflers...No brand name if I remember correctly and I just bought them off of Ebay new for $50 for the set or 2. I slapped them on on the rear half exhaust section and they reduced the LOUD noise in half...I may still ad another set on the front half exhaust section to make it as quiet as stock...I have not decided on that yet....2.50" stainless steel high flowing round resonators is what I used.....I kinda have a picture... I didn't notice any change in performance after installed...Maybe a tiny drag but nothing worth mentioning...

Here is a pic, the crome on the exhaust is the resonators..
Attached Thumbnails What's the best way to quiet down my exhaust-hpim0436a.jpg  
Old 08-14-06, 05:54 AM
Todd1225
Driver

Any updates Cherplex? I went Na-T on my SC300 and I have a full straight through exhaust with no cats, and it's just too loud...wondering what you finally decided to go with and how well it worked....
Old 08-14-06, 06:25 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by Todd1225
Any updates Cherplex? I went Na-T on my SC300 and I have a full straight through exhaust with no cats, and it's just too loud...wondering what you finally decided to go with and how well it worked....
I'll probably end up going with a small chambered muffler to see if that helps. Placement will be an issue not sure where I'll put it.
Old 08-14-06, 12:02 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jibbby
Use high flowing sets of stainless steel resonators....Ebay sells them new for cheap...Each pair you install should reduce the noise in half and not affect performance hardly at all........
Hey man,

Can you point me in the direction of the seller you got yours from??

Thx man,
Jonny