Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Check engine light code retrival?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-01, 05:31 AM
1stLexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light code retrival?

Is there a way I can pull the codes from the check engine light? The light is coming on at idle/slowspeeds and the car is hesitating a little also then. After it gets moving a little the light goes out.

I would like to pull the codes my self and see what they mean. So if someone knows how to do this on a 95 SC300 could you please post the instructions.

thanks,
Old 10-03-01, 05:04 PM
justinlarsen
Driver School Candidate

Ya i have been having the same problem.. if you came to a conclusion with this please tell me.. thanks.. or post it
Old 10-03-01, 08:46 PM
1stLexus
Rookie

Well, I don't know how to get the codes off the computer. So If I can't figure out how to do that in the next week, I will wait til it happens again and go someplace (dealer yuck!, my wallet is screaming now) and have the codes pulled for me.

I can fix whatever needs to be done, I just need to know what to fix. Ain't like an american car, parts ain't cheap enough to just throw at it, and evenutally you'll hit the problem.
Old 10-03-01, 10:46 PM
justinlarsen
Driver School Candidate

ya that would be great if u went to the dealer to get the codes pulled.. i belive my dad has a friend who has a code reader.. and i was going to talk to him about it.. i dont ahve the money at the moment to go to the dealer they want to much just to say "hello" to the car.. so ill pass unless its last resort.. if you find otu before me thou post it.. and ill do the same.. thanks..
Old 10-05-01, 05:32 AM
stevenj
Driver School Candidate

Default Retrieval of error codes

This may help, even if I wrote it for the Soarer.
Check this out: http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/star...ers2.html#Q44.
Instead of reading code numbers on a display that Lexus SC does not have, count the flashes of the Engine Check light. There is a special way how to count them and I hope you know it. You will also need a Lexus Repair Manual to tell you what the error code numbers mean and how to investigate problems further and fix them.
Old 10-05-01, 05:35 AM
stevenj
Driver School Candidate

Default Retrieval of error codes 2

Sorry, the link was truncated. Go to "www.startrade.org" site and check FAQ No. 44.
Old 10-05-01, 08:02 AM
platinumJZZ31
Rookie

I am facing a similar problem... What you need is an OBD scan tool. OBD stands for "On Board Diagnostics" and was mandated by the US federal government. I'm not sure when OBD I was started, but OBD II was supposedly required on all vehicles sold in the US for 1996 and up.

Scan tools cost anywhere between $200 (for just engine codes) to $3000+ (for the types repair shops use). The high tech ones can also read cylinder misfires, voltages of various electronic gadgets in the engine, coolant temp, air intake pressure, etc).

The best one for home use seems to be by Ease, which costs $275 and hooks up to a laptop. I am ready to buy one, except for one thing... It seems that my '97 SC 300 does not have the trapezoidal OBD II 16-pin connector! Since my car is newer than '96, it should have one, according to government standards, but when I look under the hood, at the little black plastic box marked "DIAGNOSTICS", it seems to contain only the pre-OBD II Toyota connector. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place, but I couldn't find anything under the dash either.

If anyone has any insight on this, please let me know.

Thanks!
Ben Hsu
Old 10-06-01, 11:38 PM
hokkayh
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb retrival

Take a jumper wire and hit TC and E1 in your engine compartment there is a little black cap open it and look in the lid and you will see TC and E1 read the codes on the instrument cluster by the number of flashes you see then write me back and I shall help in dig. the problem.
Old 10-07-01, 02:03 PM
1stLexus
Rookie

Thanks for the reply, quick question. This needs to be jumped with the key on, engine off correct? I don't want to fry anything
Old 10-07-01, 06:30 PM
hokkayh
Driver School Candidate

Wink engine light

Yes key must be on in order to read the codes.
Old 10-09-01, 07:18 AM
platinumJZZ31
Rookie

Default Re: retrival

Originally posted by hokkayh
Take a jumper wire and hit TC and E1 in your engine compartment there is a little black cap open it and look in the lid and you will see TC and E1 read the codes on the instrument cluster by the number of flashes you see then write me back and I shall help in dig. the problem.

Thanks for the tip and the offer to help diagnose the engine code, but my problem is I shouldn't even have the TC and E1 connector, right? My car is a 1997, so it should have a trapezoidal OBD II 16-pin connector, or am I mistaken?

Ben
Old 10-09-01, 08:06 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Use a paper clip and bend it so you can stick into the TE2 and E1 terminal on the DLCL. It located under the dash, above your left knee. open the cap out you will see the TE2 and E1 terminal, turn the ignition on and count the number of flashes, check the delay frequency... code 12 mean 1 flash stop a few sec. then two flash quickly...
THen post the code here people with shop manual will try to help. Recommend buying the shop manual. Without it you pretty much swimming in mud
Old 10-09-01, 09:32 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: retrival

Originally posted by platinumJZZ31

Thanks for the tip and the offer to help diagnose the engine code, but my problem is I shouldn't even have the TC and E1 connector, right? My car is a 1997, so it should have a trapezoidal OBD II 16-pin connector, or am I mistaken?

Ben
If your car is OBD II, you CAN'T jump the wires to pull codes. Must use a scanner.
If it's OBD I, you can.

Look at the under hood label. Should tell you.
Old 10-09-01, 11:13 PM
banking
Rookie

Thumbs up Attn: Anyone who needs to know what the code is

This actually applies to the OBD1 owners. I have a print out of the codes and what they mean. Just give me your fax number or email and I'll send it to you.

Banking
van25_99@yahoo.com
Old 10-10-01, 02:55 AM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Default Hey

Hey can you scan that in and put it online somewhere?

Toan

Quick Reply: Check engine light code retrival?