Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

seafomed my sc400 today in hopes of power

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-06, 05:56 PM
Lexusalex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seafomed my sc400 today in hopes of power

YEs I want my car to be faster so in search of power I seafomed my car today. Repeated it 3 times just to make sure all carbon was out but each time I did it I had clouds of white smoke which disapeared after a few minutes of hard driving.
Should I seefoam some more? I don't want to cause any damage. So far I dont think I notice any perfomrance gain. My throtle respose was preaty quick prior seafoam and I cant see a differance now.
Old 07-18-06, 06:09 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I recently did my 400 also. The thing is, it felt sluggish after the seafoaming due to the broken up carbon that was still in the car. I took her, got an oil change, and then put new spark plugs in. Hoping that helps ya a bit.
Old 07-18-06, 07:40 PM
Lexusalex
Driver

Originally Posted by Jewcano
I recently did my 400 also. The thing is, it felt sluggish after the seafoaming due to the broken up carbon that was still in the car. I took her, got an oil change, and then put new spark plugs in. Hoping that helps ya a bit.
thanks spasibo horosho chto svoyi ludi zdes tozhe
Old 07-18-06, 08:19 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

So you did seafoam 3 times, and did not change the oil or plugs?!?!?!
Old 07-18-06, 08:19 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like jewcano said, make sure to change oild and sparkplugs.

edit:.... ninja'd
Old 07-18-06, 09:52 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Three times?? That is unnecessary..
Old 07-18-06, 10:04 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusalex
YEs I want my car to be faster so in search of power I seafomed my car today. Repeated it 3 times just to make sure all carbon was out but each time I did it I had clouds of white smoke which disapeared after a few minutes of hard driving.
Should I seefoam some more? I don't want to cause any damage. So far I dont think I notice any perfomrance gain. My throtle respose was preaty quick prior seafoam and I cant see a differance now.
Also did it sound like a Top Fuel Dragster after it started up? I know mine did and it was the most bad a$$ sounding car i have ever heard....
Old 07-18-06, 10:08 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

You cleaned all that carbon buildup off your pistons which effectively lowered your compression.....less performance for u. Bwhahaha, really it wont make all that much of a difference (maybe 5whp?) and you might also want to run some through the tank to clean out the injectors (on a more serious note).
Old 07-19-06, 02:35 AM
Lexusalex
Driver

Originally Posted by 95 Integra
You cleaned all that carbon buildup off your pistons which effectively lowered your compression.....less performance for u. Bwhahaha, really it wont make all that much of a difference (maybe 5whp?) and you might also want to run some through the tank to clean out the injectors (on a more serious note).

Yes i know it could posibly lower the comression by cleaning the top of the engine of carbon but in theory, engine computer retards knock if comression is to high and by this lowering power so by re-setting the comression to normal now the engine can release its potential from the factory. Correct me if Im wrong here.
Yes I did seafoam three times but only thruegh the intake manifold so why would i need to change the oil? Spark plugs I can understand but even those should burn off any deposits on them.

Ran with G-tech today to see times, got 7.1 best time on flat road, got 6.6 sec 0-60 down a slight hill 15.37 1/4 mi on flat road at 96mph (although my g-tech reads 5mph higher then actual times)
so definetly I dont think the car is slower by any means, and today was a hot humid day so I think I can get abit better.

Last edited by Lexusalex; 07-19-06 at 02:40 AM.
Old 07-19-06, 10:28 AM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

I was completely kidding about the carbon build up on the pistons (it will be back within 100 miles anyway). I think people change the oil after seafoaming the car because they believe it gets into the crankcase by the PCV system (or something like that....maybe they think it seeps in bewteen the rings). I think the "original" reason is that you can pour it into your crankcase directly to clean out gunk. The idea is that it breaks down oil which causes engine failure, yet seaform says nothing about changing your oil after pouring it in and if Im not mistaken seafoam is oil based (meaning it doesnt break down oil like a degreaser). I wouldnt pour seafoam directly into my oil, but I also wouldnt listen to random forum chatter about myths and such either.
Old 07-19-06, 10:01 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Seafoam isnt magical. It just cleans your motor. Seeing white clouds of smoke is absolutely normal. Thats all the dirty stuff being burned out of your motor. I suggest you do it every time you are about to do an oil change. Do it before the oil change. If you do it alot at one time then you might have to change your spark plugs. But yeah. Its just to keep your motor clean.
Old 08-17-06, 09:57 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

I am seafoaming today, and I expect too see a mushroom cloud behind my car...This is the first time the car has been seafoamed and there should be a lot of carbon build up.. How did you guys get the seafoam in the intake? I hear the seafoam can be injected through the vacume brake line, how did you guys get inject the seafoam? Throttle body? I hear it is best to let it sit inside the engine for 10 minutes or so...Any advise for me....

What about oil seafoaming? Some people have ran it thru the oil and said it helps...Any thoughts on that? Does this process clog up the cats at all...Could that be the reason the car feels sluggish after the process?
Old 08-17-06, 11:32 AM
Lexusalex
Driver

I did it thruegh a brake booster line on my sc.
I did mine 3 times 1/4 of botlle at a time but I know most people do it at one time.
Old 08-17-06, 11:42 AM
Lexusalex
Driver

I did not replace spark plugs after seafoming the car. Runs just fine.
Old 08-17-06, 11:51 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

The other guys I know did foul their spark plugs...I would be more concerned about the carbon deposits clogging up the cats or mufflers? What do you guys think? Is this proceedure worth the trouble?

I understand this procedure cleans out the combustion chambers so I could see how it could possibly foul the plugs....

Memph - did you have a look at your plugs after seafoaming and what did you find?

Quick Reply: seafomed my sc400 today in hopes of power