Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

my SC isOverheating, VERY BAD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-06, 04:19 PM
Mpooyan83
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my SC isOverheating, VERY BAD!!!

HEy all, my sc300 is over heating very badly. there was a crack in the radiator, it was over heating alittle so i changed the entire radiator and the thermostat. after the changes i drove the car like2 minutes and coolant started coming outta the resavor (did i spell that right?) also it sounded like it was boiling. i opened the cap and coolent splashed everywhere. i dont know what the problem can be. any suggestions to help me out? Thanks alot. Matt.
Old 07-02-06, 04:25 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

you probobly have bubbles in your cooling system.
Old 07-02-06, 04:29 PM
bens sc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
you probobly have bubbles in your cooling system.

+1 i agree
Old 07-02-06, 05:16 PM
eskinol
Lead Lap

Just out of curiousity, did you read your radiator cap? I mean, the section that says, "Caution, do not open when hot?"

Originally Posted by Mpooyan83
HEy all, my sc300 is over heating very badly. there was a crack in the radiator, it was over heating alittle so i changed the entire radiator and the thermostat. after the changes i drove the car like2 minutes and coolant started coming outta the resavor (did i spell that right?) also it sounded like it was boiling. i opened the cap and coolent splashed everywhere. i dont know what the problem can be. any suggestions to help me out? Thanks alot. Matt.
Old 07-02-06, 05:36 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

drain all the coolant from the radiator and the block. Then fill it up with new coolant and start up the car with radiator cap open and the overflow reservoir open for about 35/45 minute. That should do it!
Old 07-02-06, 05:40 PM
groverat
Driver School Candidate

I had this exact same problem on my '92. Nothing but bubbles. Do what 97-sc300 says and you should be good to go.
Old 07-02-06, 05:58 PM
Mpooyan83
Rookie

cool, i'll try that tomorrow morning and hopefully it will work. Thanks for the help. and i'll post an update after i try that. thanks, Matt.
Old 07-02-06, 06:24 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

No problem man. just keep us updated, hope everything works good.
Old 07-02-06, 07:15 PM
Mpooyan83
Rookie

Default didnt work

ok, this is what i did. drained the coolent, made sure it was all out. filled it back up and let the car run for about 30 minutes with the caps off. it stil does the same thing. heres the thing tho. i dont think they are bubbles. the coolent is actually boiling. it gets extremely hot, it start steaming and stuff. u can actually hear it boil. how can it get that hot? can anything be blocking the way or something? or maybe the thermostat is not functioning right? dunno. Thanks, MAtt.
Old 07-02-06, 07:29 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look and see if you can find any oil in the coolant or anything that beads up against the water. My car overheated and blew a HG and did this EXACT SAME THING bubbling in the coolant system (after the first HG repair) and i found out gasses were getting into the coolant system through another leak.
Old 07-02-06, 07:42 PM
Mpooyan83
Rookie

Originally Posted by TMaxxTim
Look and see if you can find any oil in the coolant or anything that beads up against the water. My car overheated and blew a HG and did this EXACT SAME THING bubbling in the coolant system (after the first HG repair) and i found out gasses were getting into the coolant system through another leak.
was it bubbling or boiling? i mean the coolent in my car is boiling. it gets very hot to the point that i cant touch it. also, before the radiator change, it never did this. the only reason it over heated before this was because of a huge crack under the radiator cap. so, im thinking it couldnt be that cause it never did it before the radiator change.
Old 07-02-06, 08:22 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was boiling. Coolant is going to be too hot to touch whether or not its boiling. If its cooling the car correctly it will be too hot to touch.

You may have blown a HG when it was overheating with the cracked radiator. How badly did you overheat, where was the needle? Did you notice any loss in power since, misfire, water droplets in the exhaust or white smoke?

After you let your car sit for a few hours start it and see if anything comes out the exhaust, coolant would continue to leak into my engine after it was off and I'd turn it on and huge plumes of white smoke would come out and it was misfiring badly. Does yours do any of this?
Old 07-02-06, 08:32 PM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

hey Mpooyan83
is this happening all the time or under certain driving conditions. be cause my car is fine around town and in stop and go traffic but if its is on the high way above 3k for any length of time it will start to over heat and the coolant in the resivoir BOILs i have yst to find a fix other than dont drive that fast.
Old 07-02-06, 08:40 PM
happypanda
Lead Lap

change rad cap and if its not your hg..this should do it..
Old 07-02-06, 09:39 PM
Mpooyan83
Rookie

Originally Posted by TMaxxTim
It was boiling. Coolant is going to be too hot to touch whether or not its boiling. If its cooling the car correctly it will be too hot to touch.

You may have blown a HG when it was overheating with the cracked radiator. How badly did you overheat, where was the needle? Did you notice any loss in power since, misfire, water droplets in the exhaust or white smoke?

After you let your car sit for a few hours start it and see if anything comes out the exhaust, coolant would continue to leak into my engine after it was off and I'd turn it on and huge plumes of white smoke would come out and it was misfiring badly. Does yours do any of this?

i will start it up tomorrow and see if white smoke, water drops come out. i hope its not the HG. thats gonna cost me some $$$, i think. how much will it cost if it is that? the car didnt really have the power i expected from it since i bought it. i dont know why either. i do about 14-15 second for 0-60. which i think is VERY high fo this car. from different sources i have seen it should be about 7-8 secs. ALSO, it starts heating up like 2 minutes after i start driving it. it wasnt like that before i changed the radiator. imma have some sorta cooling system diagnoses done tomorrow morning to see what it could be.
i love this car but its costing alot to fix everything, geezus. hopefully this will be the last for a while.

also, it starts heating up

Quick Reply: my SC isOverheating, VERY BAD!!!