Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jz-gte 2.5 Supra swap in an SC

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-06, 08:40 AM
jefferino
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1jz-gte 2.5 Supra swap in an SC

Okay so I searched and cannot find solid detail on this so my apologies if this has already been covered. I have the ability to purchase a 1jzgte swap from a 2.5 supra. The swap includes the r154 5-speed trans. I saw one place that the shifter may be in a different place or something? I would appreciate any feedback and help as I hope to make this decision soon. Thank you so much for the help!
Old 06-22-06, 09:04 AM
Slow SC
Driver School Candidate

Easiest way to make it work.. you'll need a Soarer 1JZ-GTE wire harness and ecu. Also you'll have to change waterpumps to a 2JZGTE one because the JZA70 has a hydrofan. Also motor mounts, etc wont fit.

If you keep the supra harness and ECU, its an electrical nightmare.

Unless your getting it for something like 1000 bux, dont bother with it.
Old 06-22-06, 09:28 AM
jefferino
Lead Lap

WOW didn't know there was that much of a difference. I thought it was primarily a transmission thing. I was excited to find one close to my home with the 154 but if it is THAT much of a hassle, forget it, i'll stick with trying to find a soarer clip somewhere close to Michigan.
Old 06-22-06, 09:57 AM
Slow SC
Driver School Candidate

You can get R154 trannys cheap at junkyards from MK3 7MGTE supras. All you need is the JZ R154 bell housing, they are easy to come across used or even buy new from the dealership.

Also depends what year SC300 you have. If its 1995+, a 92-94 1JZGTE Soarer motor isnt 100% plug and play, there are some harness differences. If you have a 94 and older SC300, a 92-94 1JZ Soarer motor is plug and play for the most part. Stay clear from 1991 motors, they are 1st generation design, and have recalls.
Old 06-22-06, 12:36 PM
jefferino
Lead Lap

Well I have a 92 sc300 5-speed. As for the r154 tranny off a mk3 supra, is the shifter in same spot ? Can it simply bolt right up with the bell housing? I thought I read somewhere that it had different shifter location? I guess I will be on the lookout for a 92-94 soarer motor.

Thank you so much for the help I truly appreciate it.
Old 06-22-06, 12:49 PM
Slow SC
Driver School Candidate

you will need a JZ series R154 bell housing. I just sold one for $200 shipped. Im unsure about the location. If you want a really easy install, try to find a 5spd soarer motorset.. Its rare, but can be fouund. comes with everything u need for direct swap.
Old 06-22-06, 06:51 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A Supra R154 CANNOT be used with a JZ bellhousing! I have a W58, Soarer R154 and MKIII R154 in my garage. And the shifter from the MKIII R154 does not line up with the SC. Do yourself a favor and just look for a Soarer motorset.
Old 06-22-06, 07:08 PM
SoarerJzz3
Lead Lap

There's one or two on ebay right now.
Old 06-23-06, 11:28 AM
kaosman
Driver

Originally Posted by Rising_Sun
A Supra R154 CANNOT be used with a JZ bellhousing! I have a W58, Soarer R154 and MKIII R154 in my garage. And the shifter from the MKIII R154 does not line up with the SC. Do yourself a favor and just look for a Soarer motorset.
According to VipSoarer, the Mk3 R154 can be used in the Lexus with modifications. I didn't know there was a difference between the US vs Japanese R154, in that the bellhousings aren't interchangable. Can you verify this Rising_Sun?

EDIT...if possible, considering you have both in your garage, could you get some pics of both R154s and the differences in the bellhousing mounting? This may be the final push for me to save up for the Getrag...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=r154
Old 06-23-06, 11:49 AM
lpolo69
Pole Position

slowsc "Also you'll have to change waterpumps to a 2JZGTE one because the JZA70 has a hydrofan."

Couldnt i just keep the hydrofan ???
Old 06-23-06, 12:32 PM
kaosman
Driver

Originally Posted by lpolo69
Couldnt i just keep the hydrofan ???
You know what the hydrofan is, right? Just in case...a hydraulically-driven fan, not to be confused with the normal engine-driven clutch fan. It requires its own ECU to work properly. If you had the entire Supra front clip, and used the Supra wiring harness, it *could* work, but that's also if everything bolts up right. Too much hassle IMO, just stick with the 2JZ water pump and clutch fan.
Old 06-23-06, 02:03 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kaosman
According to VipSoarer, the Mk3 R154 can be used in the Lexus with modifications. I didn't know there was a difference between the US vs Japanese R154, in that the bellhousings aren't interchangable. Can you verify this Rising_Sun?

EDIT...if possible, considering you have both in your garage, could you get some pics of both R154s and the differences in the bellhousing mounting? This may be the final push for me to save up for the Getrag...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=r154

a jz bellhousing will work with the mk3 r154...thats what all the mk3 guys do to get their 1jz's in and working and i used on my buddies that we made fit in the sc.

i think what he meant to say is that a jz bellhousing and mk3 r154 alone wont allow the shifter to line up correctly in the sc... you need to lengthen the shift linkage.
Old 06-23-06, 04:58 PM
jefferino
Lead Lap

Yea I think I have decided that I will go with finding a soarer clip, however I may go the r154 route since MOST clips come only with autos. Thanks for all of the information guys I really appreciate it and am very glad I went this route buying the car I did. This board is great and not like so many of the IDIOT Adolescent boards I was on with my DSM.
Old 06-23-06, 07:03 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
a jz bellhousing will work with the mk3 r154...thats what all the mk3 guys do to get their 1jz's in and working and i used on my buddies that we made fit in the sc.

i think what he meant to say is that a jz bellhousing and mk3 r154 alone wont allow the shifter to line up correctly in the sc... you need to lengthen the shift linkage.
What do you mean you need to lengthen the shift linkage? Is that easy or a PITA?
Old 06-23-06, 08:38 PM
Deceptik1
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hemogoblin
What do you mean you need to lengthen the shift linkage? Is that easy or a PITA?
Go to the link in post #9.

Quick Reply: 1jz-gte 2.5 Supra swap in an SC