Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help! My car won't idle..at a loss.:(

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-06, 08:49 AM
wikkidlips
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! My car won't idle..at a loss.:(

I have a 92 sc300. The engine is strong but it will not idle. its at a point now where i can't even keep it started. I fire it up, put my foot on the accelerator, rev it up to 4000, and as my foot is on the gas, it dies. this goes on for about an hour before i give up. No one seems to know. THe mechanics at the shop are at a loss. Of course its not throwing a code, so its not recognzing the problem. Now if I want to fix it, I have to start replacing parts blindly.
I am moving to California, and need to sell this car. How can I sell it when it doesnt run? How much money could I possibly get for it? It has an Injen intake, and tokiko shocks and eibach springs.
Has anybody had experience with this idle problem, or can give me any suggestions for this sitiation? thanks!
Old 06-20-06, 09:00 AM
exodus_2
Lead Lap

try and adjust the throtlebody cable... mine was dyeing (little different)but it works...
but then i have my idle at 1200 rite now or else it just dies on me on the middle of the street....
try that first at least you don't have to pay anything for that... i think we're having almost same problem...
mine is being worse stalls on me when it's really hot... even if i rev it to like 4k rpm stills dies and it only happens when it's hot... other then that it runs ok but after i adjust the throttle body cable it doesn't stalls like b4... well i hope you fix your problem asap...
Old 06-20-06, 09:06 AM
wikkidlips
Driver School Candidate

yeah, once it gets past the dying mode in the beginning and im driving, its okay until i come to a stop. As long as my foot is on the accelerator. once i come to a stop....it turns off. but it usually starts right back up. my car is in the shop right now , so I will ask them if they have done that.
Old 06-20-06, 09:34 AM
scsrock
Pole Position

Lexus service would need at most 1 hour to let you know what wrong.
Old 06-24-06, 08:42 AM
dubstar
Pole Position

heh, sounds alot like my problem. so far i have changed out the entire throttle body (sensors and all), new plugs and wires and the MAF. i think this is about the 4th time ive taken this damn throttle body off. im in the process of compression testing the cylinders right now. is the car blowing out any smoke, or does it smell like it might be running rich? all the mechanics that have looked at mine kinda scratch their head too. so far we think its either a bad ECU, or a bad Head Gasket. but, replacing either of those is almost as much as a nice and pretty 1JZ i think thats gonna be my next step, say screw it and throw the motor in the trash....twins here i come
Old 06-24-06, 09:01 AM
wikkidlips
Driver School Candidate

no, no smoke, no funny smells. I got some advice to change out the fuel pump ECU, someone else was having this same problem, and that seemed to be the culprit for him. So thats what I'm trying next. its cheap enough to try.