Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Changing the Radiator. need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-06, 06:41 AM
Mpooyan83
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing the Radiator. need help

Hey all, i just got done with the tune up, now another problem popped up. there is a huge crack along the top of my radiator under the cap. by the way its a 93 SC300 auto. i cant find anything that would cover it/seal it. so is changing the radiator easy to do? dosnt seem to hard, but i dont wanna go into it and get stuck. anyone got instructions they can post or links to websites that will explain? i dont got the money to have someone else do it so i guess i gotta buy it on ebay and change it myself. please help me out. Thank you all. MAtt.
Old 06-15-06, 08:10 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Call around and price locally a replacement radiator. You will want a local warranty, instead of Ebay. Ask for a lifetime warranty brand, there are a few. Many flawed parts are passed through E-Bay..and where will the seller be when you need a replacement a year from now? And they are expensive to ship by weight instead of volume like the shops do. You can't look at a radiator and determine if it's good, it needs to be pressurized. The shop has the facilities for this testing, if needed.

Many shops would replace it for you. Check with their pricing. I would provide them with the Toyota Red coolant and the bottles of "steam distilled", not filtered ionized water.
The heater needs to be on "MAX" when filling and purging the system.
There should be three drains, two on the engine and one on the radiator. All three should be opened to exchange or flush the coolant.
Insure the coolant reservoir is also cleaned and filled fresh.

A new radiator cap is also a consideration. Rubber seals cracking or drying out would indicate replacement. Be sure to get the matching pressure rating (0.9, 1.1 or 1.3), as stamped on your original cap. A good look at the original water hoses may indicate cracking on the inside, since they usually go bad from the inside out.. ( might take a small flashlight to check the hose inside bends.)

Most radiators are removed towards the engine, not disturbing the air condictioner condenser.

Removal of the electric fan assemblies would allow the access to the usually four corner mounting bolts.

- Be sure to disconnect to battery ground prior to touching the fan assemblies, as they are remote controlled...and could start when unexpected. -
Old 06-15-06, 10:40 AM
Hurley
Rookie

I changed mine out had the exact same thing happen to my radiator while going 100 on the highway. Its not hard at all, if I remmber right you just diconnect all the hoses from the radiator take out the fan shroud and there should be two brackets right on the top on the raditor that push down on it. Beware: my new radiator didnt come with the bushings on the bottom of the radiator so u might want to keep them, you may have to reuse them.

Hope this helps.

Also if anyone knows where i can get those bushings for the radiator let me know.
Old 06-15-06, 02:48 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Mpooyan83: If you have some mechanical experience, it is not too difficult. I actually have a spare radiator in good working condition if your intrested. Check your PM's.

Hurley: Try the dealer. I can't imagine those rubber bushing costing too much but then again it is the lexus dealer.
Old 06-15-06, 08:09 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems pretty easy to change it out. You simply just remove the fan shroud, Remove the upper and lower water hoses that are attached to the radiator, remove the two rubber things located on top the radiator that holds it down, and then you just pull it up and out of there.
Old 06-15-06, 09:59 PM
erollinc
Driver

its definatly not rocket science..... jstu drain the fluid and unbolt/ take off the hoses..... its pretty easy jsut whatever is connecting it needs to come off and it lifts right out
Old 06-16-06, 08:34 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

The BEST price, for a oem replacement is at radiatorbarn.com. $120 shipped......
Old 06-17-06, 02:52 PM
Mpooyan83
Rookie

Default 120$?

i checked radiator barn and for a 93 sc300 the price is 161$ shipped. just wanted to let ya know. but the good thing is its an all Metal radiator.
Old 06-19-06, 03:16 PM
sc3dreamz
Rookie

if you need a quick fix, autozone has this stuff over by the jb weld....its actually for this type of problem. Mine did the same thing and it was spiiting coolant everywhere when I hit the gas. So I went and found this stuff and the instructions are on it and it has held ever since. I just neded a little more time before I replace the radiator. Ive had the car a month and its been holding for the month. If you need the name of the product let me know and I can run out to the car and look but it really isnt that hard to find.
Old 06-20-06, 08:53 AM
Mpooyan83
Rookie

Default temp fix

Originally Posted by scdreamz
if you need a quick fix, autozone has this stuff over by the jb weld....its actually for this type of problem. Mine did the same thing and it was spiiting coolant everywhere when I hit the gas. So I went and found this stuff and the instructions are on it and it has held ever since. I just neded a little more time before I replace the radiator. Ive had the car a month and its been holding for the month. If you need the name of the product let me know and I can run out to the car and look but it really isnt that hard to find.
YEa man, i did that. but i did it wrong, so i screwed up the whole thing. now i just gotta keep filling it up once every 2 days till the radiator gets here. SUX!!
Old 03-28-09, 12:27 PM
Pspice
Lead Lap

well it was easy for the most part for me...had i had tools near by n not have to run back n forth every second ida been done fast lol

but now im stuck i have everything out and i just need to pull it out but these two hoses on the bottom the small ones...so hard to get off =/
Old 03-28-09, 03:03 PM
Pspice
Lead Lap

got it should replace this week sometime post pics later ^_^
Old 03-28-09, 11:30 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Wow this is a really old thread! Also there is already a pretty good write up of one if you need it.
Old 03-29-09, 10:05 AM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

Just DIY IT.....
You will learn something...
Old 03-29-09, 04:45 PM
BLovesc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been there before its pretty easy to change. just make sure you are careful when removing your fan shroud since it is old it might be brittle and you dont want to have to replace it. Also best to buy a new radiator and not a used one all of the sc radiatiors crack in that plastic part

Quick Reply: Changing the Radiator. need help