Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

what kind of intake?

Old 06-07-06, 10:50 PM
vietstuh
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what kind of intake?

hey guys, i have been searching nonstop for an intake for my sc3.. but the only intakes ive found are only compatible with the 92-95 models.. and this is for all you 97+ sc3 owners here.. what kind of intake are you guys using? because my friend and i are planning to make one and try to pipe it down next to the passenger side foglight.. how many of you guys have done ur piping this way also? pics would be great.. thanks guys!
Old 06-07-06, 10:58 PM
onyxaltezz
Driver

Im planning to fab something like the LMW CAI available for IS300's. It should be way easier for an SC300 b/c there isno need to dremel a hole to fit the piping through to the bottom.

Question is, will the piping design trigger CEL? I cant differentiate between the system that the SC300 2jzge and that of my IS300 2jzge uses. Is it essentiall the same? turbulance + no heat shield = CEL?

One last question, would lets say and Injen gen3 for IS300 fit on an 97 SC300 w/ no CEL?

-Aaron
Old 06-07-06, 11:28 PM
onyxaltezz
Driver

btw we've considered BFI, but we want to eliminate the stock air boc, and design something that is more along the lines of a 'true cold air intake', not a half-@ss one.

We've had fine results from LMW's CAI on is300.net, so since they dont make an SC300 application.. I guess I gotta....

-Aaron
Old 06-08-06, 01:53 AM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

i've done alot of research on this, i was trying to build an all motor IS with a buddy of mine, but once we added it all up and got some rough estimates it just didn't seem all that feasible. We'll still try in the fall once the new header is made, but i'm going turbo this fall so my buddy might be on his own.

Intakes were the biggest thing we looked into (along with manifolds) Most IS intakes will fit the VVTI SC but the mounting brackets won't match up and cold air boxes might not fit right. Customizing it is needed.

The best sounding intake that makes the most power is the SRT intake w/ Ecu. It'll lean out the AF to 14.1 and sounds really mean. Couple it with a header and an exhaust and you'll have a decent amount of NA hp. No SAFC necessary or tuning, the little black box will do it for you.

The CAI from LMS is good for 8 hp but i'm not a fan of the work.

Here's something better though that is carb legal and makes just as much horsepower without the drilling. Buy the Joe Z intake pipe and an aftermarket filter for your stock box. You've just made as much hp as the LMS or K&N intake for a fraction of the cost. The intake noise will be a lil louder and you'll still retain the stock air duct for a true CAI. i prefer this because i can drive around quietly and not get noticed.

Go with whatever intake you want, they should all fit fine and they all do the same thing.

edit- don't knock the BFI either. Potentially with the BFI, Joe Z pipe and aftermarket filter you can see much higher gains then any other intake on the market. it's not half assed at all. it makes a good intake system better.
Old 06-08-06, 05:12 AM
Mwmorph
Driver

BFI is fuctionally perfect if done right. It is a true CAI versus those CAIs you buy with half arsed heat shields that heatsoak over time and start drawing engine heated air after awhile. It provides all the flow the SC3 will need(at least in NA form) and it's cheap as well.
Old 06-08-06, 10:02 AM
onyxaltezz
Driver

Exclamation

Well the BFI is more like an induction box, much like the designs of ARC.

We are leaning more towards the open element CAI. If now, we'll do half BFI, half open element.

Old 06-10-06, 04:47 PM
XSTeknique
Pole Position

I'm still a bit unclear after searching as to whether the SRT intake is compatible with SC300s or not. I have a 98 SC3 and may be in the market for one if it does what it says.
Old 06-10-06, 07:05 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XSTeknique
I'm still a bit unclear after searching as to whether the SRT intake is compatible with SC300s or not. I have a 98 SC3 and may be in the market for one if it does what it says.
You should call SRT. If I recall correctly, they used to have a sc300 or a sc400 sitting around. They may have toyed around with it.

However, I do know that the SRT works with the post 97 sc400's. A member installed it with a few mechanical modifications to the intake. I believe the ecu worked fine without modifications.
Old 06-10-06, 07:41 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

itll fit, the wiring may not match up to the diagram but that info should be easy enough to find out which wire goes to which.
Old 06-14-06, 11:12 PM
MrlexusSC
Rookie

so did anyone find out if the SRT intake for the IS300 fit the 98 and up lexus SC300 models. cus i was in the market for a intake for my 99SC300 and i called SRT and they said they didn't make a intake for the vvti SC300, but that doesn't mean it won't work. Does anyone have that intake on there car, and do u guys have pics?
Old 06-15-06, 12:54 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

like i said itll physically fit but the heat shield won't line up right so you will have to do some modding to the box. the wiring should be easy once you find out the correct wires to tap into.

i test fit my friend's IS3 SRT intake in my SC when i wanted to buy one and iother then the heat shield it looked good, just needed some work to get it all looking nice.
Old 06-16-06, 07:01 PM
MrlexusSC
Rookie

ya i just talked to one of there technicians and they said the same thing. The GS300 intake should work on all SC300 98-00 but the Heat shield might not fit correctly. HP gains are 12.2 to the wheels and Torque gains are 7.4lbs to the wheels. And there is a internet special for $399.95 http://www.swiftracing.com/vehicles/.../intake300.htm
Old 06-16-06, 07:06 PM
XSTeknique
Pole Position

Did they say if the wiring will fit on the sensor too?
Old 09-24-06, 02:46 PM
vietstuh
Pole Position

sorry for bringing up this topic again, but jsut realized i haven't checked up on this thread for a LONGGG time and im still in need of an intake =(.. so i have a 97 non vvti, and you guys are saying that my best bet is the gs300 srt intake? anyone else with a 97 sc300 running a gs300 srt intake?

Last edited by vietstuh; 09-24-06 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-24-06, 11:17 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

im not sure itll work for you, post a pic of the maf sensor to see how it looks. if its the same as the older ones, grab an sc300 injen intake. if its the same as the 98+ ones, grab a 98 GS300 intake and just get an safc to tune. the SRT may not work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what kind of intake?