Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

how to turn traction control off

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-06, 09:35 PM
vietstuh
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to turn traction control off

hey guys.. i hav a 97 sc3 and apparently, traction control was an option for it.. and my question was.. how can you tell if your car came with traction control? and if so, where is the button to turn it off located.. sorry cuz i dont have the manual lol... but yeah.. its been buggin me for awhile cuz i see the words "trac off" on the far bottom left on my cluster.. so i was wondering if its just there or does my car really have traction control. thanks guys!
Old 05-31-06, 09:36 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

There should be a Traction control button near the shifter....Click that, if you dont see anything on the display then its on, but if it says Trac off like you say it does, then its off.
Old 05-31-06, 09:36 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

on my 98 it's underneath the steering wheel and to the left if you're sitting in the driver's seat. it's a lil switch. i didn't see it until after a few days driving.
Old 05-31-06, 10:32 PM
vietstuh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jewcano
There should be a Traction control button near the shifter....Click that, if you dont see anything on the display then its on, but if it says Trac off like you say it does, then its off.

o yah.. what i actually meant was that during very bright sunny days i could see the words tract off on the bottom left.. and thanks guys.. all i have to the left of my steering wheel is just the auto tilt control stuff and near my shifter is nothing but ect pwr... so i guess my car doesnt have traction control =(
Old 05-31-06, 10:39 PM
KoSC300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think traction control usually came along with heated seats as an option. Do you have heated seats? My parts car has neither, but my SC has both...

If you do have Trac Control then in your engine bay it will say TRAC by the throttle.
Old 05-31-06, 11:22 PM
balticbsc3
Rookie

Default Free Owner's Manual

Originally Posted by vietstuh
sorry cuz i dont have the manual lol...
You can actually recieve a FREE copy of your owner's manual from Lexus. To do so, go to www.lexus.com and click Owners, then register your car with Lexus. After you have registered and can log in, go back to the site and log in and the click My Lexus. Next click Owner's Manual and follow the rest of the steps to order your manual for free. Trust me, it works. I have tried it! Sorry this really has nothing to do with the Traction control question, but i thought it might be helpful.
Old 05-31-06, 11:51 PM
vietstuh
Pole Position

hey thanks a lot for the info guys... turns out my sc doesnt have heated seats or traction control... =/ and thanks for the info about the free owner's manual! i submitted a request for one
Old 05-31-06, 11:59 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

o yah.. what i actually meant was that during very bright sunny days i could see the words tract off on the bottom left.. and thanks guys.. all i have to the left of my steering wheel is just the auto tilt control stuff and near my shifter is nothing but ect pwr... so i guess my car doesnt have traction control =(
Quick question. So you say the word TRAC off isnt lit up but when the sun gleams on it you can see the letters in the dash display. I would assume if your display has that option, i would assume your car would have Tracion Control. However do you know if your display is original, or does anyone know if they used the same display for all models regardless of the Traction option or not?
Old 06-01-06, 04:42 PM
vietstuh
Pole Position

Quick question. So you say the word TRAC off isnt lit up but when the sun gleams on it you can see the letters in the dash display. I would assume if your display has that option, i would assume your car would have Tracion Control. However do you know if your display is original, or does anyone know if they used the same display for all models regardless of the Traction option or not?

yeah.. my car is all stock aside from my tt shocks+eibach springs.. i read the lexus manual online and it says its supposed to be between the shifter and the ashtray..
Old 06-01-06, 05:15 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

yeah.. my car is all stock aside from my tt shocks+eibach springs.. i read the lexus manual online and it says its supposed to be between the shifter and the ashtray..
and is there a TRAC button there???
Old 06-01-06, 05:20 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your car is an SC3? Easy check is to open the hood. If your throttle body has big shiny words TRAC badged on the top, then you got traction control and i'd look around for the button. If your TB has TRAC badged onto it and you can't find the button... maybe a different interior panel was replaced?
Old 06-01-06, 05:58 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

check near the trunk/gas lid buttons.
Old 06-01-06, 06:57 PM
vietstuh
Pole Position

and is there a TRAC button there???

no... all that's there is the emergency keyhole to unlock the shifter
Old 06-01-06, 07:18 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

The traction control button should be as in this photo. I don't know if you've got a twin mode trac system though (this is from a 8/96~ JDM model).

Oh, someone's gotta hook me up with an owners manual and service booklet... damn Toyota/Lexus Australia don't sell them for imported cars
Old 06-01-06, 09:20 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Did you have the Trac System under the hood???
For example look at mine, my Trac unit is towards the back.

Im assuming that if you dont have it, then you dont have TRAC control and dont need to be worried about it.