Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo vs ecu question

Old 05-23-06, 08:39 AM
SC3005SPD1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo vs ecu question

Im researching about going na-t and I can buy all the parts and pay for installation. But to get tuning will take time for me 2 save up for. I was thinking if it would b possible to use the 2jzgte ecu with our n/a engine?

I kinda doubt but its a thought since im only STARTING off with around 350hp. But i dont wanna blow up my engine by not tuning thats y i thought by using a tt ecu that can hold that power and info

Last edited by SC3005SPD1; 05-23-06 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-23-06, 10:18 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The king of the Piggy Back ECU's is the "Perfect Power SMT7" which costs around $700 but is more effecient then anyother other piggy back...It is as close to a Stand ALone as you can get...Controls, fuel, timing, and just about anything else you can think of....Perfect for AFI or nos engines...Closed and Open loop no problems....

I will try and link the website for you....

http://www.sea2skytuning.com

http://www.sea2skytuning.com

I never had any luck linking but anyway that is the website, go to tuning then piggybacks and you will see it....I have searched and used APEX, greddy, etc...and am about to use this SMT7 ...This little baby can hold a final tune setting better then the others piggy's in regards to the ever learning stock ECU's. Can retard your timing at high rpm's if you desire, etc... I am confident this Piggy back is second to none....Good luck.....
Old 05-23-06, 11:18 AM
SC3005SPD1
Lead Lap

Hmmm i will look into that....

but is there any way to use the supra tt ecu in our car?
Old 05-23-06, 12:55 PM
jibbby

Ok - the Supra ECU is no better then the SC ECU...Your goal is to be able to adjust the factory settings of your stock ECU, as you mod your car. Adjusting your Air/Fuel mix ratio or timing as needed...Or increase the fuel output to bring the most out of your engine...The stock ECU setting are not allowing your motor to operate at it's full potential...... A stock Supra ECU has it's own factory stock settings and would do you no good.... So when you hear about these piggyback ECU's or chips giving you 20hp or so, it is true because what they do is allow you to change the factory ECU settings and allow the engine to get a higher fuel mix or volume which gives you more power...... However, You take a hit at the pumps too.....which sucks...

In laymans terms - The ECU is the brain to the engine....what a piggyback ecu does is wire into the your stock ECU and then with a tuning computer allows you to adjust as needed.. For example - with my car and running nos, I needed my current Apexi piggy back to have the engine run a slightly richer fuel mix which I needed....

However, what I have found is that these stock ECU's are very smart and over time they start changing your piggy back ecu final settings. Change it back or closer too the stock ECU settings..

I explained thisas best as I could for those that may not know what the ECU does and is....this is what I have learned....
Old 05-23-06, 02:28 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

If you're not changing the stock 2jz-ge headgasket, using stock injectors, and Stock MAF, you can get by with no piggy back fuel controller..several are running this way fine.
Old 05-23-06, 06:43 PM
SC3005SPD1
Lead Lap

Koo.. sounds good. I gotta research more about piggybacks. They sound like something that i can use to start off with. I was juss guessing if I can just pop a supra ecu that can take the 320hp on my car with out blowing my engine up.

But it seems like it would be better to get a piggyback then eventually go to a stand alone when the money comes available. But even with a piggyback, I will still have to get a mechanic to tune it right? (since this will b the 1st car im going turbo with and have no idea about this stuff, im still learning)
Old 05-23-06, 07:04 PM
jibbby

A Stand ALone ECU is the best, but that requires complete rewiring and removal of your stock ECU...which is work...The stand Alone ECU will allow you to tune an engine to perfection and the final settings will stick....The piggy back ECU attaches to your stock ECU and allows you to adjust, but the setting will not stick...minor changes will occure over time with the piggyback. units..So retuning is necessary from time to time, if you desire perfection...Hope that helps... I am just now learning how to program these piggybacks yourself, like you, I knew nothing and learned and now giving it a go....

When tuning yourself you will need to purchase the tuner along with the piggy back ECU and or program... Figure out where you want your A/F ratio to be and make the necessary changes by using the instructions... Timing as well.... That is how I am going to go about it.... and listen for that perfect tune.... I hope I don't blow my motor trying but I have faith in my talents... i just refuse to take my car to tuning mechanic when ever I make a mod change or need a tweek here or their, those hundreds will ad up....... I Can't have that....

I am basically a backyard mechanic and a contractor by trade, I will give you an example: the experts told me I could not pull off the dual electric fan swap, they told me I could not delete my hydralic fan, they told me the ECU reading may get fouled up. Guess what? I did that swap to perfection...So here I go again but with the tuning this time...luckily if I do run into tuning problems I have mechanic freinds I can turn to for help if necessary...That is my story...

Last edited by jibbby; 05-23-06 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-23-06, 07:10 PM
SC3005SPD1
Lead Lap

haha... sounds like a plan. I juss stumbled upon the apexi SAFC-2. This is a piggyback correct? What about the SMT6? Whats the difference from the SMT7
Old 05-23-06, 07:48 PM
jibbby

I am currently running the Apexi piggy back and I don't recommend it...I have had problems with it....

Honestly I do not know the difference between the two SMT units, but I do know the SMT7 is the best....Good luck....