Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Manual 400...nah

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-06, 12:11 AM
beastSC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual 400...nah

So here's the deal. For the longest time I'd been planning on selling my 1992 Black SC400. I've had the car for almost two years now and I have just begun to realize what can be done to this thing. I was thinking my car simply had too many miles (about 120 grand), so I'd sell it and get a Supra or an S2000 or something. My main necessities were these: that it was an import, that it was RWD, and that it had plenty of ready-to-go aftermarket kits that I could just slap on. When I realized about a month ago that a high-performance street car isn't all about using what somebody has already made for you, but what can be made, that kind of filled all three requirements. After all, the SC400 is rear-wheel-drive. And it is an import!

My revelation came when I had gone around to a few shops in my area. Many that I didn't know existed until I actually started looking. I live in Des Moines, Iowa. It's not exactly all pigs and corn like nearly all of you are thinking. Far from it where I am actually. But Des Moines's growth and development is a different story. You Californians and Floridians don't want to hear about that.

So I talked to a few people about custom jobs for my SC. I was surprised to find what can be fabricated for me right here in Iowa. So I had a custom exhaust job done. Now my needs go further. I need a manually shifted 4 liter V8. I can think of one way to pull that off. I'll go to http://ttcperformance.com and buy the adaptor plate they make. While I'm at it I'll get the custom flywheel and clutch that works with the stock slave cylinder. God, that'll be handy! As for the transmission, I'm going with the R154 from the MKIII Supra Turbo. There seems to be a new one of those every week on eBay Motors. They go for a pretty reasonable price, too. About 300 to 400 bucks.

There is a place called J & L Machine that I stopped by a couple times and talked to the owner. He does custom work for all sorts of cars all the time. He installs kits, too. Nitrous Oxide, turbo, you name it. He even builds his dirt track racing cars. 90% of those vehicles are custom fabricated by him. The frame, exhaust manifolds, suspension. Pretty much everything but the Chevy 350 Block in there that's pushing a good 650 horsepower on alcohol. Needless to say I'm impressed by this guy and his shop. I talked to him about a automatic to manual transmission change. He said "Yep, we do anything". He means it. Of course that's if you have the money for labor, which is the real expense in a custom project like this.

So what does everyone think? You think I can pull it off? I'll be pulling in money over the course of the summer and getting the adaptor plate, r154, ttc flywheel/clutch, and everything else as it's needed for me and my J & L buddy to complete this. Just do a search for "manual sc400" and you'll get a ton of repeated "it's not worth the time" and "just save yourself the headache and buy a 350Z". But I don't want a 350Z. I want a 5-speed Lexus SC400. Sure I could have taken out a loan for a really nice import that would be faster than my Lexus...but I would have spent 4 years paying it off when I could have been spending every penny on making my Lexus more custom than Eva Longoria is beautiful, and that's saying something.
Old 05-23-06, 12:19 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

When you get that done, post prices, parts and other sorts of things needed for the job, o yeah and not to mention pictures, lots and lots of those...i would like to see what a manual 400 turns out to be like.
Old 05-23-06, 12:39 AM
beastSC400
Driver School Candidate

Same here my friend. That's why I'm doing this. All that money I would have spent on a new car is going to make this car faster than I could have ever made those cars while trying to make payments. Besides, this is going to make my car a one-of-a-kind. I just need everyone to keep pushing me to keep on truckin'.
Old 05-23-06, 10:57 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Why not swap in the V160 Supra manual tranny with the adaptor plate....It's been done on lextreme.com....The V160 holds 4 digit horsepower...Just a thought...

Also what is wrong with RWD? Most people prefer RWD as apposed to FWD....I prefer AWD...
Old 05-23-06, 01:56 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

beastSC400: It sounds like your on the right track but the clutch ttcperformance sells is made for a V160 and might not work with the R154. I can not confirm but its something you should look into before spending over 1k on a clutch kit.

Jibby: For the amount of power hes going to be putting down, i don't think he needs the 4 digit capabilities of a V160 and the price tag that goes with it. The R154 can hold its own for a fraction of the price.
Old 05-23-06, 02:26 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a manually swapped SC400 with R154 tranny.

if you plan to get headders any time in the future dump the clutch fork idea.. just gets in the way... use a hydraulic thrush bearing.
Old 05-23-06, 02:50 PM
jibbby

5spd- The v160 is not that much more in price when all is considered...You are correct if he stays with his plans for hp goal, but as you know HP is like a drug and you can never get enough....With that being said I never thought I would be building up my stock sc400 tranny to support more HP but I am..... Plans change that is all I am saying....How much HP can the R154 hold anyway and what car does that tranny comes out of? I honestly forgot...

I don't know too much about the capacilities of the R154 tranny so I cannot make any judgement calls on it....I just have only heard wonderful things about the V160 tranny and that it is a true pleasure to drive, it's feel, performance, etc...That is all I am saying....
Old 05-23-06, 04:27 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I'm not mistaken the v160 is a few grand more in price. The r154 can be picked up alot cheaper than the v160. The r154 comes in the MK3 turbo supras. Plus the r154 can hold more power ( I forget how much) than the w58 tranny. The w58 has been tested to what 400-500rwhp? I am not sure how much power he wants but prolly not more than 500-600rwhp. The only reason he would need the v160 is if he really wants a 6th gear, but it will cost him alot more. BTW some people can control themselves and stop somewhere once we reach a certain hp amount.

O another thing. Jibby what do you run in the 1/4 mile?

Last edited by laxdude362; 05-23-06 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-23-06, 04:58 PM
jibbby

Well if the Ri54 can hold 500rwhp + and you can get those for a few grand cheaper then go for it...I personally have seen the V160's pop up on Ebay and the SUpra forums for a cheap as $1000...I can pick up now in junk yard in Los Angeles Ca. today for $1200 if I wanted too off a 1993 Twin Supra tt....Same place where I got my Supra torsen LSD... I guess it depends where you live when it comes to finding deals.... Good luck with the swap and wish you all the best....
Old 05-23-06, 05:26 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Jibby you didn't answer my question in my post above.
Old 05-23-06, 06:09 PM
jibbby

Don't know what my quarter mile time is because I have never timed it...Guessing I would think maybe in the low 13's..... Why do you ask? 0-60mph is where my car is impressive I would think for an sc400....The reason I have not dyno'd or timed my car in the quarter is because my car keeps changing....Like as I am building up the stock tranny now....Hope that answers your question.....
Old 05-23-06, 06:26 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Hey jibby, can you give me the number to where you can pick up a v160 for $1200? I am very intrested beacuse i can't seem to find any for under 2.5k .
Old 05-23-06, 06:53 PM
jibbby

That is a tough one for me to give up...they have a 1993 Supra just sitting their recked it is a small junk yard in LA...and if my tranny build does not work I will need to pick that V160 tranny and go for the swap myself...i hope you understand.... However, PM in two weeks and I will know more on how my stock tranny build is going and if it is going to work out for me....... If you can wait that long, and if you do end up wanting it please do not buy it to re-sell it, buy it to use it and I will give it up.....

Thanks...Jibbs
Old 05-23-06, 07:05 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jibbby
Don't know what my quarter mile time is because I have never timed it...Guessing I would think maybe in the low 13's..... Why do you ask? 0-60mph is where my car is impressive I would think for an sc400....The reason I have not dyno'd or timed my car in the quarter is because my car keeps changing....Like as I am building up the stock tranny now....Hope that answers your question.....
Hmm you haven't dynoed your car. What about this thread that claimed that you have. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183696 . Everyone's car changes. The atmosphere and temperature affect how our cars run. No one is going to drive a 13.12345 1/4 mile every time. It might be a 13.2 or 13.0. Everything changes. Stop making excuses and go the track and run it. Go to a dyno. Post up some time slips and dyno sheets. I would like to see your car run a low 13.
Old 05-25-06, 09:33 AM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

5 or 6 spd manual trans SC400 is a great idea. However, it is territory only a few have ventured in and to my knowledge there is not a finalized "Complete" list of parts that you will need so it will require some trial and error. I hope you go for it and fill everyone in on the procedure and the parts required.

Quick Reply: Manual 400...nah