Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 Custom exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-06, 09:00 PM
beastSC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 Custom exhaust

I just got a custom exhaust job done for my 1992 SC400. I had the same thing done as a few other members here have done. Basically the exhaust pipes go from the stock headers, cross paths in an x-pipe and go from there up to the stock mufflers. It sounds amazing. My car feels unleashed. Looking back on how it performed before it feels like an escaped convict. I had my buddy in the car with me today after I got it done and I just gunned it and I was ripping through gears like none other. I can be in traction control all the way through first gear and a little in second. Plus it only takes a third throttle to get those tires chirping. I advise anyone with an SC400 looking for some mods to do to their car to do this. I can post pictures if anyone wants. My next step now I guess is going to be buying some much better mufflers. I just need to decide what would perform and sound best.
Old 05-08-06, 09:55 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds sweet man. Lets see some pics and vids!!
Muffler wise I would go with magnaflow on the SC400. I had it on my SC400, the 14829 models, and loved it! It sounded awesome. I only had new piping done from cat. coverter back to the mufflers. So I am sure yours will sound alot meaner. Alot of other people go with these too and are very satisfied with the way it sounds and performs
Old 05-08-06, 10:31 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

A few questions my friend.

A what size piping?
B Pics
C Price?
D ummmmmmm thats it, and a vid if you dont mind on how it sounds

I want to do this setup on my car and would like to know all the specs and sounds
You can PM it to me i would appreciate it
Old 05-09-06, 03:11 PM
beastSC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To answer your first question, i kept the 2 1/4 inch size because I didn't want to lose any low end torque and when you've got dual exhaust, it flows fine like that anyway.

The price came to 477 dollars which is a little steep for this kind of job but when you factor in how hard it is to find a shop that will eliminate a catalytic converter, it's all good. It cost a little extra since I kept the stock mufflers so they had to get some gaskets and flanges to do that. Otherwise they would have been able to just weld aftermarket mufflers right up. The gaskets and flanges cost about 40 dollars more.

As for B and D, I'll get that stuff up as soon as I find out how and take a few pics and vids. All I can say is it sounds amazing. All of my friends agree. The sound from about 1800 rpm to 3500 is very throaty, but the stock mufflers can't handle all that extra flow so it starts to sound a little less throaty higher up. I plan on getting some magnaflows. But I really do recommend this for you, because it feels like a different car. I can get traction control to kick in all the time now. Whether I'm taking a turn or already going 25 mph and then gun it. I'm doing 0-60 in under 7 seconds now. Although my car is stripped out somewhat, too. I don't have back seats or anything in the trunk (no carpeting either).
Old 05-09-06, 03:57 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info i appreciate the help you provided. Also put those pics up as soon as possible gotta see the setup.