Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

i got a SC .... turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-06, 08:53 PM
erollinc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i got a SC .... turbo questions

i got a bunch of turbo stuff from an old project and im wondering if it will work for my goals.... maybe you guys can help me out a lil bit

im wanting to break the 400 hp barrier.... i will use the car for daily driving and weekend racing....
the question is will the parts i have get me there?

parts from last project....

-garret t3 to4e 50 trim... with a 68 ar.... im wondering if this will get me over 400 reliably on the 2jz... it was originally for a 2.4 L

-38mm tial wastegate

-apexi SAFC

- PLX 300 wideband 02

-MSD 6al ignition with BTM (boost timing master)

-MSD knock alert

-480cc injectors (side feed.... so im thinkin i need to sell these casue the 2jz uses top feed right?) also is 480cc big enough to support 400hp? will a walbro 255 be big enough?

i still need to get a BOV and an intercooler and my piping will be all custom by me casue i dont have a problem welding...

i also need a manifold... any suggestions... ive seen a few liek the daveH and stuff im jsut wondering which ones better for my application....

i see some people tune with jsut the safc..... can i get away with 400+hp on an safc and BTM tune?...... or do i need to step up to an emanage ultimate?........ ( dont want to spend money on standalone)

any help would be appreciated guys.... im new to the scene and i dont know of alot of places to get good information.....

oh yeah the cars a 95 5spd sc300

thanks again
Old 05-05-06, 11:56 PM
LexT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iam looking around for one too, I like this one,
http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/showt...8&page=1&pp=30
You might have to do a 2.5mm headgasket for 400hp, Iam not sure
Old 05-06-06, 07:31 PM
erollinc
Driver

no one wants to chime in?....

thanks for the link to the manifold... ill keep an eye on it
Old 05-06-06, 09:21 PM
hmhatch
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by erollinc
..... can i get away with 400+hp on an safc and BTM tune?...... or do i need to step up to an emanage ultimate?........ ( dont want to spend money on standalone)
Thats a problem then. If you want reliability and the most performance ouf of your setup, don't half-*** it with an AFC and BTM. Emange Ultimate is still a piggyback.
Old 05-07-06, 04:15 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Wink

If you want total control, try the AEM EMS OR go with those new Motec windows based stand alones..they look quite good. What kind of transmission do you have? Auto or Manual? If you're breking the 400rwhp / 400rwtq barrier, expect to eventually break the manual tranmission. The getrag transmission is a proven tranny that holds gobs of torque/power and does not break. Expect to pay $3,000 (used) for just the tranny...then probably another $2,000 (if you find good deals on used parts) for the rear end, shifter linkage, cross member, axles, and any other accessories you'll need.
And don't forget the clutch, there is another $600 minimum with all accessories. Right now you're at $5,800 and your car still is not tuned and you still lack EMS.

A CL member just had an oil pump failure on his 2JZ. So after you do all these mods, your oil pump can still fail and you can be out of a lot of money .

Congratulations, you have bought into the SC300 HYPE and purchased one of THE WORST bang/buck money pits out there .
Old 05-07-06, 09:30 PM
erollinc
Driver

wow arent yall optimistic........

first off i appreciate whatever help i can get insted of you guys trying to scare me away..... the money doesnt bother me, i have ways around it...... i do all my work myself and i fabricate everything myself......

so lets change my questions......

what power CAN i make with the stuff i have? i know the turbo can flow 350-380 ...... but wil an safc and btm be ok for that amount of power? or shoudl i simply sell this stuff and save up for some real deal ems?

i read that after 450 is when the trannies start to go (thats why i thought 400hp would be ok ... and yes its a 5 spd.....

whos is making 400 hp and whatkind of setup are they running?
im about to get on supra forums and PM everyone this question who has 400+

and no i didnt fall into the hype.... i figure after im done the 8Gs plus the amount ive put into it still doesnt equal the price of a new NA 2jz supra (which is what i originally wanted)

thanks for your help
Old 05-07-06, 11:34 PM
Okcomputer
Rookie

Originally Posted by dejacky
If you want total control, try the AEM EMS OR go with those new Motec windows based stand alones..they look quite good. What kind of transmission do you have? Auto or Manual? If you're breking the 400rwhp / 400rwtq barrier, expect to eventually break the manual tranmission. The getrag transmission is a proven tranny that holds gobs of torque/power and does not break. Expect to pay $3,000 (used) for just the tranny...then probably another $2,000 (if you find good deals on used parts) for the rear end, shifter linkage, cross member, axles, and any other accessories you'll need.
And don't forget the clutch, there is another $600 minimum with all accessories. Right now you're at $5,800 and your car still is not tuned and you still lack EMS.

A CL member just had an oil pump failure on his 2JZ. So after you do all these mods, your oil pump can still fail and you can be out of a lot of money .

Congratulations, you have bought into the SC300 HYPE and purchased one of THE WORST bang/buck money pits out there .
That was the most worthless unhelpful post ever. He didnt ask you for your opinion. Way to be an ***.
Old 05-08-06, 04:21 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Okcomputer
That was the most worthless unhelpful post ever. He didnt ask you for your opinion. Way to be an ***.
Actually, what you just wrote is completely UNHELPFUL and WORTHLESS. Calling me an "***" does not help him in any way. At least in my post, I gave out some factual information regarding the capabilities of his car and important things he needs to be aware of. Your contribution is name calling me and crapping on this thread . No one asked for your opinion of me, so $TFU . I've also been through a NA-T install on my car so I have experience:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171570

I still think 5 speed SC300's are overpriced, over HYPED, and that getrag swaps are also OVERPRICED.

Erollinc,
my skepticism stems from the fact that MANY people break w58's (some @ only ~320rwhp/rwtq!) and they're not worth rebuilding because it costs too much. I recommend that you upgrade your transmission if you want the car to last at 400-500rwhp power levels (maybe try a BoostLogic R154 kit = ~$3,500 including tranny). Regarding your turbo, I think you can squeeze 400rwhp out of it with a good free flowing exhaust, ideal thickness headgasket, superb intercooler, good turbo exhaust manifold, and a good tune. If I were you, I would sell all your fuel controlling items (except injectors and fuel pump) and buy something like a stand alone AEM EMS (can be had for ~$1,600 with sensors) OR if you don't want to spend the money, get the MAP-ECU (~$450 no timing control).

Or use the LS400 MAF, 440cc injectors, and SAFC combo (no timing control). It's proven and works. Unlike Okcomputer's flaming posts, here is some more HELPFUL w58 information for you:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=291130

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...&highlight=w58

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...ight=w58+break

There was a good w58 breakage thread on SF, but the search engine is not functioning properly on SF atm..I'll see if I can find it later.

daveH manifolds are a 3 bolt flange type and probably won't work with your turbo. Your other options include (not limited to), www.BoostLogic.com 's tubular manifold, Ebay manifold, power house racing manifold, or this guy's manifold http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1708 .

Another plus of going standalone is that you can have fail-safe "features" programmed in...like if the EMS detects too much detonation it will pull timing specifically tailored for your setup....and having total control of timing is very useful imho.

Last edited by dejacky; 05-08-06 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-08-06, 09:02 AM
chidoks
Pole Position

get 525cc injectors, vpc and the safc 2 and you'll be fine... walbro 255 will work fine for you
Old 05-08-06, 10:27 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Hey that TO4e garret is being swapped into a toyota Landcruiser which is a 24 valve straight six motor...This is a similar motor and I believe you can pull off what you are shooting for.....

You can find step by step installation with pics on this motor on "Lextreme.com forums", then search "Turbo charging a toyota Landcruiser". I posted on that thread a day ago.. You may find some very helpful info in the 4 page posting...It is very informative...From setting up and fitting in the turbo, for cheap... This fellow is going from 220hp to 300hp on that motor without any engine management..

There are other threads to on turbo swaps for your engine.....
Old 05-14-06, 09:53 PM
erollinc
Driver

dejacky thank you for the very informative post...
Old 05-15-06, 03:35 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by erollinc
dejacky thank you for the very informative post...
you're welcome . And btw, if you want to use your turbo with a daveH 3-bolt style manifold, you'll need to get a diferent exhaust turbine housing (buick 3-bolt style) then it will bolt up fine.