Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Chevy swap in LEXUS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-06, 01:00 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy swap in LEXUS?

Is anyone aware of a CHEVY/GM small block or big block (yeah right) swap in a lexus? Maybe with a TH400/Poweglide tranny... Has it been attempted... Cut and fitted perhaps?

The reason I ask is I have the oportunity to buy a new 620bhp non AFI GM big block motor 572CI complete for dirt cheap...Wondering if I could use it rather then buy and re-sell for profit....Any thoughts on this? This 572ci motor happens to be one of the most powerful street motors...non A.F.I... I am drooling over this monster of an engine but realise it would never fit in a LEXUS with half the size motor in it now...
Attached Thumbnails Chevy swap in LEXUS?-572c620.jpg  

Last edited by jibbby; 05-04-06 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-03-06, 01:21 PM
chidoks
Pole Position

i dont have personal experience but based on the dimensions of the chevy motors i've seen, it would require a lot of modification and possibly cutting to make it work.. i would personally buy the motor and stick it in an old school datsun 280z or 510
Old 05-03-06, 06:02 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

im sure it can fit but you will be fabbing up all new mounts for the motor/trans and will be hassling with figuring out how to wire everything up or just run all new gauges. stuff like this would be sweet but it would cost too much for the benefit.
Old 05-03-06, 07:09 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

god i hope not
Old 05-03-06, 07:13 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jibbby
Is anyone aware of a CHEVY/GM small block or big block (yeah right) swap in a lexus? Maybe with a TH400/Poweglide tranny... Has it been attempted... Cut and fitted perhaps?

The reason I ask is I have the oportunity to buy a new 620bhp non AFI GM big block motor 572CI complete for dirt cheap...Wondering if I could use it rather then buy and re-sell for profit....Any thoughts on this? This 572ci motor happens to be one of the most powerful street motors...non A.F.I... I am drooling over this monster of an engine but realise it would never fit in a LEXUS with half the size motor in it...
Never know unless you try. If you can fit it in a Jaguar XJS then perhaps you have a shot. I'd be interested in knowing if it works.

EDIT: I just read the BIG BLOCK part... uhhh don't think you have the room for a 572CI.

Last edited by IronCobra; 05-03-06 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-03-06, 07:47 PM
jibbby

I took a look at this GM ZZ572 Crate engine this afternoos... So big so nice... I measured and found the engine woud fit, long wise not a problem, height and width very tight..Cuting would be required for the custom headers to possible fit in...No A.F.I. on this motor would be possible once swapped...However these engines are tearing up the tracks and running 4 digit horsepower under nos no problem... I think it is possible but not sure...I am drooling over this 572 cubic inch V8 motor... The weight difference compared to the 1uz-fe is only 200lbs...the weight difference is not a problem..Carbon chasis parts can help counter the weight increase...I am thinking about this.....

Specs

-620 horses bhp
-650 ft .lbs. of torque at 4500rpm
-9.6:1 compression ratio and a 6000 rpm redline...

This engine can be seen in Summit Racing mags... I have a close friend at a performance shop and the owner of this motor can no longer fund his project and needs to unload it at close to have the price... I am tempted to buy just for resale....Anyway thanks for the replies...
Old 05-03-06, 08:22 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by LexToyz
That'd be nuts but kinda ricey
not ricy, mullety It would be kinda cool though haha. I'd put it in an old RX7 man.
Old 05-03-06, 10:05 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jibbby
Maybe with a TH400/Poweglide tranny...
Search supraforums for the TH400.... people have been using those on their supras for a while. No reason why it shouldn't fit the SC300/400.

Problem with the engine would be the wiring.... unless you stick everything GM in the car.
Old 05-03-06, 10:22 PM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pick up a used RX-7 Roller and check out http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/ get it swapped in and call it quits.
Old 05-04-06, 01:14 PM
jibbby

Originally Posted by 0l33l
Search supraforums for the TH400.... people have been using those on their supras for a while. No reason why it shouldn't fit the SC300/400.

Problem with the engine would be the wiring.... unless you stick everything GM in the car.

I know the trannies would work out with a correct fitting adaptor plate...That is not the problem the bulk size iof the engine is the problem...

For those that say a 620bhp non AFI engine is ricy is just crazy...who would not want that engine sitting under their hood? . No a/f ratio tunning, just hit the gas and feel the power... Simple horsepower, and if that is not good enough if 620bhp slap a nos system on or a blower and blow away the field, while still maintaining a street drivable car hopefully...Anyway that is what I am thinking...

Which would be more realiable this or TT Toyota motor? I think you would have less problems with this monster of an engine...

Last edited by jibbby; 05-04-06 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-04-06, 02:59 PM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

asuming you put the time in to make them both equal hp the GM 572 would be soooo much more reliable. and the best part is the sound, which is anything but ricy. if anyone pulled this off they would be my hero ( sorry space ghost)
Old 05-04-06, 03:26 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

oh boy. good luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-04-06, 04:53 PM
jibbby

Hey listen I am not say I am going to go ahead and swap in this big block, I was just inquiring info on Chevy swaps in LEX as I have never seen one.... I have already built up (around) my 1UZ-FE motor and am pleased with it for now... I just ran across this great deal and was wondering if it is possible to swap...It is concievably possible but definetely not practical.. Oh and yes who ever would pull off a swap like this would also be my hero..

Don't mistaken me, I still love my 1UZ-FE engine and it is a strong little tank of a motor, but I just wish it was a bigger motor at times that is all...a 4.0liter V8 is just a little small that is all....the Tundra motor is getting better but even that is small..

I just love the idea of a engine putting out 620bhp without any mods or AFI.. The Viper V10 motor cannot even boast those numbers.....If I had the time I would give this crazy swap a go..but I do not....

In conclusion I do think this most powerful base street motor could be swapped in an SC but it would be challenging.. A long block would be the choice as apposed to a short block...
Old 05-04-06, 04:55 PM
jibbby

This is another generic pic of the motor......One other thing that I would bet on is that all the Turbo'd Supra's, SC,LS,GS etc...would end up on a flat bed truck from break down before this gm 572 motor would... What could possibly happen to this monster V8 motor? A carburator problem maybe? A turn of a tiny little adjustement screw and you are off and running again... Oh how the imagination can wonder at times...See ya
Attached Thumbnails Chevy swap in LEXUS?-572b620.jpg  

Last edited by jibbby; 05-04-06 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-05-06, 10:27 AM
BiZ
Intermediate

I was thinking of something along those lines. Although I was considering a LS1 or LS2 swap. The LSX series motors are great performers while coming in relatively small lightweight packages. I would think that the LSX could be swapped in without hacking the car up too much, if at all.

Quick Reply: Chevy swap in LEXUS?