Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Which muffler is best for my purpose?
DynoMax Super Turbo
10.94%
Magnaflow stainless steel straight through..
67.19%
DynoMax or Magnaflow other (pls specify in thread)
9.38%
Other muffler brand and model (pls specify in thread)
12.50%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Dynomax vs. Magnaflow muffler opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-06, 04:09 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dynomax vs. Magnaflow muffler opinions

I'd like to replace the stock exhaust on my turbo sc300 with something better flowing, but I hate noise (including infamous "droning"). It will consist of no resonators and the piping will be 3in midpipe splitting into two 2.5 inch tail pipes and then muffler of choice. What would some of you more experienced exhaust folks recommend?
Old 10-27-06, 10:25 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Universal Apexi WS for the win.
Old 10-27-06, 10:41 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

greddy or hks is wayy better for our cars .i will leave those for domestics
Old 10-27-06, 04:53 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Question

Originally Posted by lexusboy94
greddy or hks is wayy better for our cars .i will leave those for domestics
Which is the most quiet?
Old 10-27-06, 10:12 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,257 Likes on 998 Posts

Dynomax flows the most.

Everyone says Magnaflow sounds the best.

The best flowing quietest is Borla.
Old 10-27-06, 10:18 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Phoenix Power exhaust is super quiet, no droning, and is more than enough flow for your car to handle. Also, I don't reccomend losing the cat unless it's not your daily. more and more cops are cracking down on that stuff and the fine is insanely expensive. If you want flow that bad, get a high flo cat...
Old 10-28-06, 12:44 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by roo
The Phoenix Power exhaust is super quiet, no droning, and is more than enough flow for your car to handle. Also, I don't reccomend losing the cat unless it's not your daily. more and more cops are cracking down on that stuff and the fine is insanely expensive. If you want flow that bad, get a high flo cat...
Thank God, I live in a NO-SMOG county where cats are not required and it's completely legal to have no cats on your car . It seems to me like the Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers are the best compromise for my needs.
Old 10-28-06, 01:02 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dejacky
I'd like to replace the stock exhaust on my turbo sc300 with something better flowing, but I hate noise (including infamous "droning"). It will consist of no resonators and the piping will be 3in midpipe splitting into two 2.5 inch tail pipes and then muffler of choice...
dejacky,

What turbo are you running, the twins or a single? Sound is very different.

I just pulled my twins this week to install a T61 single. The exhaust remained the same. It consists of a 3" RMM downpipe w/high flow cat into a big center mounted Magnaflow Single in/Dual out (3" into twin 2-1/2" outs) part number 14288 18". From the middle of the SC extends two 2-1/2" stainless steel pipes that exit in the stock location. No resonators.

On the twins the sound was great, no drone, but you heard it and I liked that set up. On the T61 driven home this afternoon, the SC300 has a snarl to it, this is a Lexus packing a ~450 whp punch, no getting around it. Highway driving at the 3200 rpm range at ~65 - 70 the drone is there. I'm unsure if I can live with it or not, remains to be seen.

Regardless, it does not sound like what you are looking for and personally for me I may try to mute this a little with some combination of a less restrictive resonator(s) (oxymoron??)

I'm left wondering if your description is realistic, because I think you are going to get more sound than you expect, especially if you're on a single. Perhaps the Dynomax is the silver bullet, I've not heard it.

Another comment, I can't understand how any muffler could out-flow this thing (Magnaflow), because you see three inchs of sunshine at the other end when you look through it. How can another muffler outflow an unrestricted straight through design, shouldn't they be the same?

Hope this helps.

Last edited by SCoupe; 10-28-06 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-28-06, 02:15 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm also on a quest for quiet exhaust. My friend just got these:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=796

We'll see how they turn out. I think if you want quiet you need to go with smaller pipes. Maybe 2". The smaller the pipe the less noise as sound bounces off the inside of the pipe.

Chris
Old 10-28-06, 03:35 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

I have a na-t te-44 single turbo setup. Believe it or not, I've found ceramic coating pipes (inside and outer) noticeably decreases those audible vibrations. My theory is it changes the resonant frequency of the pipe since the metal is not in direct contact with air..kinda acts as a ceramic muffler.
Old 10-28-06, 05:08 AM
cloudnine
Pole Position

SCoupe, what kind of 3" cat is that on your car? I don't want a cat - at the moment - but I'd like to get rid of the smell. And, thinking about the future, does anyone make a 4" high flow cat? My current setup is different from most folks', in that it's a single 3" exhaust from the turbo back, with no cat or resonator.
Old 10-28-06, 09:55 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cloudnine
SCoupe, what kind of 3" cat is that on your car?
I am using a RMM (Rod Millen Motorsports) 3" downpipe that integrates a hi-flow cat in the dp itself. I bought it off the Supraforums.

A four inch exhaust, what does the future hold?
Old 10-28-06, 05:47 PM
TheBlizz
Driver School Candidate

get a dynomax straight threw oval muffler, 2 of them
Old 10-29-06, 05:53 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Question

Originally Posted by TheBlizz
get a dynomax straight threw oval muffler, 2 of them
Dynomax's "straight thru" mufflers are called the ultra flo series. Do you have any experience with them and know how quiet they are? Just trying to ascertain why you're recommending them over the Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers....I have to use dual oval shaped mufflers regardless.
Old 10-29-06, 06:18 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Any straight thru muffler will give you the best performance, unfortunately the noise will come with it too....Aside from that I have owned and ran both Magnaflow and Dynomax oval mufflers and I always found the Magnaflow to be more quiet...Performance I did not notice a difference between the two.

Fair warning, If you go with straight thru mufflers get ready to rock the neighborhood... You will be quick to buy the resonators shortly after, trust me...

Quick Reply: Dynomax vs. Magnaflow muffler opinions